Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Sarnak

The current xp modifier on Red is 150% so during double xp weekend, it was 300%. Over the weekend I was getting 11% for a moss snake at level 1. With 500% xp this would be 18%. I can understand the appeal of making leveling easier so that it stings less when you die and reset to zero, but as someone else mentioned this will play into the hands of zergs, making it easy for them to power level multiple characters so they can throw numbers into a fight and not have to start at zero if they lose.

I think this goes without saying but there shouldn't be a group xp modifier on Discord. The purpose of the group mod is to attract population to an underpopulated server. Discord is a temporary server and doesn't need to attract long term population. Additionally, a group bonus would again favor zergs and put lone wolves at a distinct disadvantage. Lone wolves on Discord are classic. Please don't send them into extinction.

If the xp mod on Discord is 500% and the group bonus were present, a group of six level 1 toons would get about 5% per grass snake compared to 18% for a solo character, but would be able to kill them about six times as fast. So in the time it took a solo player to kill one grass snake and get 18% of a level, a full group could kill six mobs and each member would earn 29% of a level. The comparative survivability of group versus solo should be fairly obvious.

I recommend that Discord launch with something between the current 150% mod on Red and a maximum of the 300% over double exp weekend, with the group bonus removed. One of the features of classic Discord was the excruciating difficulty of advancing your character with the threat of permanent death always present. Trivialize leveling and you make Discord unclassic.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Kobold

I don't get people's love affair with classic, like a hipster with self-imposed tunnel vision.

You're not playing true classic. The UI is far less clunky, and there's outside mods and internal QOL changes.

What's the goal for discord... Classic feel, a re-creation of a server that wasn't really successful the first time, or pvp? There's sacrifices to be made... You can't have everything.

Personally, I think "classic" is a loose guideline here - A framework within the pvp environment we're all eager to throw ourselves into. I'd sacrifice on some "classic" if it didn't mean the failure that was the original Discord (any server that Dorkenbane haxxrd their way to the top of is the definition of failure).
Old 10-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Sarnak

Somebody please notify Rogean and Nilbog at once that spending 10k hours recreating the classic EQ experience was a waste of time.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:47 AM
Kobold

Yup.

100% classic with no QOL changes at all

You got me bro.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 AM
Fire Giant

if that shit is 500% you won't see any melee lol

but melee sucks in classic anyway.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Kobold

I'm still laughing about the guy in the other thread who wanted to roll rogue