Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 02:39 PM
Kobold

Question Getting started question - class and server?

Hi adventurers,

Found p1999 recently, and looking forward to starting soon. I used to play it when it was popular on Rallos Zek. mostly played Enchanter and Mage, quit after Velious. Will start in a few weeks once I get windows going. I have a few questions for you adventurers out here if you folks can provide some guidance please. Just trying to understand community and what to play.

Is there a server that is locked in Classic or Kunark? Or they are all going to end in Velious? I'm thinking Blue is the right one to start. Not doing pvp, pvp was too stressful.

Are there players in leveling ranges on Blue grouping, or is it mostly 51+ players raiding on occasion?

At the end game, are there guilds who will do events and epics occasionally, with understanding that life is more important than game?

Do people RP for fun and stick around long term, or do most players just play for a few month out of nostalgia and quitting? How stable is this?

Is Enchanter still able to MC and level if needed solo, or is MC broken and it's better to pick a class that can slug through alone times better like a Necro/Druid/Mage? Just trying to figure out what kind of classes are needed and how similar is the game to what it was.

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:40 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolguy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi adventurers,

Found p1999 recently, and looking forward to starting soon. I used to play it when it was popular on Rallos Zek. mostly played Enchanter and Mage, quit after Velious. Will start in a few weeks once I get windows going. I have a few questions for you adventurers out here if you folks can provide some guidance please. Just trying to understand community and what to play.

Is there a server that is locked in Classic or Kunark? Or they are all going to end in Velious? I'm thinking Blue is the right one to start. Not doing pvp, pvp was too stressful.

Are there players in leveling ranges on Blue grouping, or is it mostly 51+ players raiding on occasion?

At the end game, are there guilds who will do events and epics occasionally, with understanding that life is more important than game?

Do people RP for fun and stick around long term, or do most players just play for a few month out of nostalgia and quitting? How stable is this?

Is Enchanter still able to MC and level if needed solo, or is MC broken and it's better to pick a class that can slug through alone times better like a Necro/Druid/Mage? Just trying to figure out what kind of classes are needed and how similar is the game to what it was.

Thank you.
-blue is locked in velious. It started as classic, then progressed to Kunark. It’s the beta test server for the ultimate goal of this project which was a green recycle server. It was in beta test for a long time and is really popular as a result. The green (recycle) server started over a year ago (maybe two?) and started at classic and is now in velious. I think it’s been announced that the server will reach the end of the cycle and everyone’s toons will end up in the blue server with the gear and lvl intact. The green server will then be wiped clean and will start over from classic. This pattern will repeat until we’re all dead irl. So even if you went green you would end up blue eventually.

Green is fun from the beginning because you can camp broken items that get nerfed according to the timeline - manastone etc. Would recommend to do green after it resets sometime next year would be my guess. Until then you can roll a toon on green velious or blue velious.

There will always be people lvling new toons on any server. We’re all altaholics to Varying degrees.

There are Successful casual raiding guilds on both servers doing content soloers would not be able to do. The hardcore guilds will always get the most loots but you can get amazing drops and epics in casual guilds.

P99 has been around for a long time now early 2010’s. There are people from the beginning, there are new players, there are people who check in and binge when family/work obligations lighten up irl. There are people who play once. Server population is legit though. There’s always hundreds of people on blue or green and since there is no Multi-boxing allowed those are real people counts. You can play One toon on blue and green simultaneously. That is allowed. People will do easy semi afk camps. One on each server. So you’re do essentially double farming for blue. Or some people have a tunnel toon on both servers. Not fighting difficult fights on two servers at once I wouldn’t think.

I don’t know what MC means but I’m assuming it means grouping with other players. Based on what you have said yes I would pick a caster class. I Guilded with a guy before who only rolled casters. Never melee. When he hit 60 he would just roll another druid or something rather than play a melee. I gotta say he’s onto something. Warriors and rogues are great for raiding but leveling them can be a biotch if they’re your first character and you just don’t feel like grouping that day.

As far as what class you should roll it kinda depends on what your goals are. Most bang for the buck as a first toon is probably necro or druid. As a druid you get ports and you can literally start making money just porting other people around while butt naked. Necros can get to lvl 60 butt naked. I don’t recall druids being too gear dependent but I know for a fact necro aren’t gear dependent at all. You get feign death so you die so much less than other classes.

Once you get to higher lvls people typically either solo farm high lvl content for items and pp or guild up and do high lvl raid content (or both). Casual Guilds will take any Class but your role in a raid will vary greatly depending on what class you choose.

Best all around class is enchanter for a new player imo

Pros: gigantic tool box
Illusions help your faction so you can go anywhere and avoid kos
Not super gear dependent
Option to charm or don’t have to at all. I knew a guy who just went the whole way with an animation and nukes. You can mem wipe or recall animation before mob dies for full xp
Want to roll a rogue? Just be an enchanter and charm a rogue. There you go
Good in groups
Good solo
Good super high end. Arguably strongest solo class for high end content
Pretty ok in raids
Can make a ton of pp camping
Charming effectively lets you get double xp

Cons: if you charm ur squishy and ur gonna die
Your animation only attacks if you get hit first. You can’t pull it off a mob or tell it what to do.
For charming it is highly recommended to get Some charisma gear (it can all be farmed along the way.
Charming learning curve is steep at first
You’re too useful in lvling groups. Constantly refreshing all your awesome buffs and expected to CC and charm as well sometimes. Jesus Christ
Epic is difficult to get proportional to how much it helps you

Shaman is another very powerful high end farming class but you need torpor, epic etc. shits expensive

Since all the learning curve stuff won’t really apply to you I would recommend rolling a chanter on green. Slightly higher pop than blue currently and more new players making it slightly more likely for you to find a leveling group on green. And probably next year your toon ends up on blue anyways.
Last edited by hagglebaby; 12-09-2021 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: Copy pasted incorrectly
Old 12-09-2021, 10:19 AM
Aviak

I second the word wall.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:00 PM
Banned

Enchanters are pretty good if you want to push your limits with charming.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:44 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I really appreciate your support in this post. keep it up and doing such types of great work continually.
Closed Thread