Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So your theory is that the idea of Dinosaurs preceded the evidence, and we just backfilled our own idea once we found large bones.

I'm pretty interested in Geology, even though I'm a CS Major I had to take a bunch of other science related courses and I've focused on Geology. What is your theory for large bones that are found?
I recommend looking into Sir Richard Owen and "The Bone Wars"

Out of the 142 specimens found, only 32 are considered 'legit' in Dino World

The outright fraud perpetuated by Marsh and Cope is beyond comical and absurd
Old 12-14-2022, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What came first

The theory of Dinosaurs or the 'discovery' of Dinosaurs
As I recall the bones were discovered long before any theories of evolution were published.

You don't need one or the other to come first, though, it isn't a cart and a horse. You find evidence, then figure out the rest later as you find other evidence for other things that may or may not be related. Science has always worked this way.

See: dark matter, dark energy, proton decay
Old 12-14-2022, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As I recall the bones were discovered long before any theories of evolution were published.
Go back farther, to something like the Permian, and you get dragonfly-like insects that were feet across instead of inches. Whether you're talking about bugs or dinos, smaller species existed as well, just the big animals get most the publicity. Joe Public doesn't care about a dinosaur the size of a turkey. We have dinosaurs the size of turkeys alive today....they're called turkeys.

Even moreso than the individual species, the (literal) rise and fall of the continental landmasses, drying and flooding cycles with changes in sea levels, increases and decreases in global atmospheric oxygen and carbon percentages and huge changes to global temperatures and climate all make for interesting study. Mt. Everest started its existence underwater--lots of limestone. Now it's uplifted higher than anything else--just took awhile. Wacky things happen when you give the Earth large enough time scales. We're just an insignificant blip, insofar as geologic time cares.

Danth
Old 12-14-2022, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You don't need one or the other to come first, though, it isn't a cart and a horse. You find evidence, then figure out the rest later as you find other evidence for other things that may or may not be related. Science has always worked this way.

See: dark matter, dark energy, proton decay
I didn't say Evolution. I said the 'theory' that giant monsters existed millions of years ago. That didn't come about until Richard Owen.

We're talking about bones of millions and millions of animals that supposedly lived. No complete skeleton has ever been found that I'm aware of and the total count is less than 3000. There are no real Dinosaur skeletons displayed in a museum. They are all fakes.

Most of the fake skeletons and design of what they supposedly looked like are based on nothing more than a tooth or single 'bone'. It's all reconstruction. That's not Science. That's fantasy and imagination.

There wasn't an 'explosion' of Dinosaur bones being discovered and 'new species' being found (and later proven to be frauds) until after the term "Dinosauria" was coined by Richard Owen.

There are a few claims of bones found previous, but the person who discovered them didn't claim it was a dinosaur (or an animal that lived millions of years previously) and another find was from a 'fossil hunter' (wow what a coincidence!). There's even supposedly a bone found in the late 1600s but only a drawing exists which isn't proof.

If you look at who discovered them, it wasn't random people or workers by accident. It was all by people who had a financial interest in their discovery. The history of Dinosaur bones is filled with laughable fraud from a bunch of a con men and we haven't even started talking about feathers yet.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:48 PM
Banned

You're wrong Elizondo. I've been to actual digs and fossil beds. Idk where u got ur numbers. There aren't a ton of trex skeles and megafauna left. Butt there are tons and tons of variations on the little raptors etc etc.

I do believe there's errors in the paleontology of like the t rex butt that isn't proof mega fauna didn't exist. They just put it together wrong.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're wrong Elizondo. I've been to actual digs and fossil beds. Idk where u got ur numbers. There aren't a ton of trex skeles and megafauna left. Butt there are tons and tons of variations on the little raptors etc etc.

I do believe there's errors in the paleontology of like the t rex butt that isn't proof mega fauna didn't exist. They just put it together wrong.
There are not a 'ton of trex skeles'

You're straight up lying
Old 12-14-2022, 04:54 PM
Sarnak

La Brea tar pits.

The earth also had periods of time when the o2 in the atmosphere was 10% or so higher which allowed growth to sizes unlike anything we see today.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:57 PM
Sarnak

We know this because scientists have found pockets of air trapped in amber and ice.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRogers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
La Brea tar pits.

The earth also had periods of time when the o2 in the atmosphere was 10% or so higher which allowed growth to sizes unlike anything we see today.
There are no dinosaurs at La Brea Tar Pits
Old 12-14-2022, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Out of curiousity, how big are you willing to entertain? Keep in mind elephants can exceed seven tons or so and blue whales--truly monstrous creatures--readily exceed a hundred tons. Within relatively recent history (ie, within historic times) creatures like moas and elephant birds reached ten or twelve feet tall, larger than any still-extant birds.
Closed Thread