Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 01-26-2023, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbeast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Things got real gatekeepery real quick didn't they?
Not at all. You can do whatever you want.

I am honestly trying to help you. Everquest (P99) really isn't a game that is designed to be played in short sessions (30 minutes or less). If you don't have the time to play P99 in at least 1 hour sessions, I generally wouldn't recommend the game to people.

There are plenty of games that cater to people who can't invest a lot of time. There is nothing wrong with that, I am not trying to be elitist or anything. I am just being real. You are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by trying to play P99 in short sessions. This game is a marathon, not a race.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbeast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Put another way, a Narandi Crown + a Fungi equals 730ish hours of work.
730ish hours of having fun <3

at 5 hours of fun a week, you'll be sorted in 3 years. 3 years of having fun isn't as much as it sounds like, as you've already been an eq enthusiast for 25 years [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-26-2023, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
730ish hours of having fun <3

at 5 hours of fun a week, you'll be sorted in 3 years. 3 years of having fun isn't as much as it sounds like, as you've already been an eq enthusiast for 25 years [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just join a guild like in, eclipse. We can sell anything and we raid very casually mostly on drafts. Use ya dkp to buy things to sell, buy the items ya need to upgrade. Works really well for me since I don’t have the time I use to , to raid .
Old 01-26-2023, 06:35 PM
Planar Protector

Loads of people write off raiding, because there are a hardcore element, but when you join a guild with such folks, it is actually super easy to be casual and join in for like 30 mins a month if that is your preferred play style.

Just cos some people hardcore it doesn't mean everyone must, and it doesn't mean you won't get items you want either.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loads of people write off raiding, because there are a hardcore element, but when you join a guild with such folks, it is actually super easy to be casual and join in for like 30 mins a month if that is your preferred play style.

Just cos some people hardcore it doesn't mean everyone must, and it doesn't mean you won't get items you want either.
Exactly. I don't think any guild these days (at least on blue) have raid attendance requirements anymore. You can literally join a guild and kill 30 raid targets a year. That is probably enough DKP in one year to get a Narandi Crown, and many raids take 1 hour or less to complete. Many are like 10-15 mins if your guild is good at organizing. So for a grand total of 30 hours a year, you can get your raid loot.

But if you really hate raiding, you can play for 1-2 hours per day and farm the plat. There really aren't a lot of options for people who want to play P99 for like 100 hours total a year (or less). You just aren't going to get very far, unless you get really lucky or do casual raiding.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-26-2023 at 06:41 PM..
Old 01-26-2023, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
"Oh it'll add up eventually", my ass, add up when? 2040?
I'm the one who said that. It does add up if you aren't constantly spending your money on alts. I said that because I'm the nearest person in this thread to you, probably: I loathe raiding as a mode of gameplay, barely do it, and mostly I duo with the wife or occasionally solo or group with friends.

Sure you could farm guards until you want to die. Yuck! I wouldn't, to me that sounds like a good way to start hating the game, but there are people who somehow manage to do that for long periods. There's another way. If you and your trio stick around, eventually you'll be able to do numerous areas that drop items worth 10K, 20K, etc. Suddenly saving up a decent chunk of platinum during the course of normal gameplay spread over several years doesn't sound so impossible. I didn't say buy a crown next month. If you're still here circa 2030, you'll have one if you want one. Seems like a long time? Check out my join date. I've been here 13 years and counting, 10+ years at level 60 on my shadow knight, doing exactly the same type of content you intend to do. If I wanted a crown I'd have one. It's only un-obtainable if you're effectively a "P99 tourist" who won't stick around all that long. Otherwise, yes, it's a matter of time.

In the meantime, you don't need a crown. I half suspect some folks on this board are so used to overpowering everything with zerg raid forces and high-end loot that they've forgotten what it's like to play the game normally. Locustlure for your Rogue is a good suggestion. Maybe a tash stick or two for your trio. Stuff like that is affordable and will increase your trio's ceiling. Most of all, get levels. More levels = more capability.

------------------------------------------

I don't write off raiding only because the time it takes, I write it off because it's NOT FUN and I'd rather jab myself in the hand with a fork than spend several days a week doing that type of awful content.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 01-26-2023 at 06:41 PM..
Old 01-26-2023, 06:43 PM
Orc

Quote:
it is actually super easy to be casual and join in for like 30 mins a month if that is your preferred play style.
I think what's not being appreciated here is that I don't WANT to raid for 30 mins a month. I want to raid 0 mins a month.

I don't like dealing with guilds, I don't find raids enjoyable. I really just love this game for exploration and jolly cooperation. Sometimes I just go into newbie zones and buff people all day, technically accomplishing nothin. Just smoke some weed, vibe out, talk about nothin... I don't have to give a SHIT about raiding to enjoy this game.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

Sure if you've tried it in a range of ways so you know from experience it isn't for you then fair enough.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I think what's not being appreciated here is that I don't WANT to raid for 30 mins a month. I want to raid 0 mins a month.

I don't like dealing with guilds, I don't find raids enjoyable. I really just love this game for exploration and jolly cooperation. Sometimes I just go into newbie zones and buff people all day, technically accomplishing nothin. Just smoke some weed, vibe out, talk about nothin... I don't have to give a SHIT about raiding to enjoy this game.
That is a perfectly fine way to play if that's what you enjoy. However, this thread is about obtaining items, and the playstyle you describe is not typically how you obtain items. Please don't blame people for suggesting items that you do not want to get, just because it doesn't fit your playstyle (which involves avoiding getting items).

Unfortunately there just aren't a ton of items in this game. This is especially true when you are in the 1-50 range. The average player in 1999 was running around in bronze armor and maybe combine weapons if they were lucky. You just didn't get a lot of good items as a casual player. If you want good items, you will need to play a bit differently. If not, you are going to be kind of stuck.

EDIT: As Danth said earlier, if your Trio sticks around, then your best bet is just to get to level 60 as soon as possible with said Trio. Then you can at least farm some gear. But if you have enough time to do that, you could farm plat too[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-26-2023 at 06:56 PM..
Old 01-26-2023, 06:57 PM
Planar Protector

I do not agree, Shamwowi. In his very first post he explicitly laid out his requirements. Advice that does not fit the stated requirements is worthless, and that's the fault of the person giving it. If I'm doing wind loading calculations for a wood frame structure, someone moseying by suggesting I switch to steel when the requirement calls for wood is of no help. Have to work within the requirements laid out. That's why they're requirements.

In this game you can either be bad at it and raid and get really nice stuff, be good at it and not raid and get middling stuff, or be bad and not raid and then you're stuck with junk. Take your pick.
Last edited by Danth; 01-26-2023 at 07:04 PM..