Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 04-13-2022, 04:49 PM
Orc

Default Sleeper being awoken tonight (April 13th)

The Sleeper is being awoken tonight, on P99 Green, by Seal Team

This is a post to inform the many people who I imagine want to watch or participate in this event, since it only happens once per server

Seal Team will be in Sleeper's Tomb around 8 or 9pm ET. Waking the Sleeper will take some time, and I'm not sure how long the script itself lasts, but I would suggest being online before 9pm ET if you want to watch or participate. I cannot confirm, but I am hoping Level Up Larry will be streaming the event. You can find his stream here

Seal Team will also be attempting to kill Kerafyrm himself, and is welcoming all who want to share in that attempt. If you would like to join in that attempt, reach out to a Seal Team member in game and head to Skyshrine. We'll need epic clerics and buffers to help with the corpse cannoning, epic mages to pre corpse epics, and melees who are willing to die repeatedly. There may be other roles to be filled as well.

I fully understand that many people are against the waking of the sleeper. For what it's worth, there has been a ton of discussion on this, and Seal Team (including both leadership and regular members) has been very split. A large poll was taken, and the sentiments were all over the place. For what it's worth, I voted to keep it sleeping, at least for now. However, this is an event I have wanted to participate in for 20 years, and I will not be missing it. I hope you are all able to attend.

Many of you may not be aware, but there was a waking-the-sleeper "scare" a few weeks ago. An anonymous person, in the middle of the night, created a discord channel and invited many keyed members from both in and outside Seal Team. It is unclear who created this discord, or what their intentions were, but many of the people who joined it were ready to wake the sleeper in the middle of the night. While today is not the day that I wanted the sleeper to wake, I would have been devastated had it happened in the middle of the night, without myself or many others being able to witness it. For many Seal Team members, that fear of missing out on this once in a life time event, was the reason why they wanted to schedule it and be a part of it.

I hope you can understand that this is an event many players like myself have looked forward to from the day they created their level 1 characters, regardless of loot, or guild politics, or anything like that.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:51 PM
Aviak

Why not pick a weekend when more people can participate?
Old 04-13-2022, 04:54 PM
Orc

To be clear, I have no leadership role in Seal Team. I voted not to wake it, and certainly was not involved in the scheduling of it. I just want to inform people so that they don't miss out
Old 04-13-2022, 04:54 PM
Fire Giant

Glad you guys were able to screw over the server and delete content once you and your buddies all got it!
Old 04-13-2022, 05:32 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by coki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Glad you guys were able to screw over the server and delete content once you and your buddies all got it!
Don’t forget added content, make sure you’re honest on both sides
Old 04-13-2022, 05:56 PM
Aviak

Can someone please explain to my newb ass what all of this means?
Old 04-13-2022, 06:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

A guild is unilaterally triggering a one-time ever major in-game event today that will never be seen again on this server and which removes the possibility of ever obtaining some of the best items in the game for anyone who doesn't already have them.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phraxas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don’t forget added content, make sure you’re honest on both sides
yeah man

added content is in a form of a quest that makes you turn in your sleeper key

lol
Old 04-13-2022, 06:10 PM
Orc

Sure Decapolis95, I'll try to sum it all up for you

Sleeper's Tomb is a raid zone in Velious. To enter, you need a key that drops off of raid dragons that take 25-75 people to kill. They drop a maximum of one key at a time, so it takes months to key a full raid force for the Tomb

The final bosses of the tomb are 4 warders. They drop legacy loot (legacy means at some point it won't drop anymore), as well as primal weapons which are a huge boost to raid DPS.

Lorewise, the warders have been tasked with keeping The Sleeper (aka Kerafyrm) asleep. As long as any warder is alive, Kerafyrm will stay asleep. Once you kill the 4th warder, without waiting first for the others to respawn, Kerafyrm will awaken. This only happens once per server. After this point, the warders will never respawn again.

There's a really cool script that then happens where Kerayrm then goes from zone to zone, killing everything in it's path - players and NPCs alike. Lots of cool plotline / lore stuff as well

Kerafyrm was meant to be unkillable. Level 99 and kills everyone in one round

There were just a couple servers back on live that waited to awaken the sleeper. 2 expansions later, in PoP era, at level 65, a guild was finally able to kill it. It took hundreds of people hours to do it. The strategy involved was corpse cannoning - dying, resurrecting, and getting back in there, over, and over, and over. There was actually a lot of interesting drama over this stuff back in the day. For example the first guild that had a shot to kill the sleeper, got it to ~15% HP, and then the GMs manually despawned it, assuming they were using cheats/exploits (they were not).

As for P99 politics, many want the sleeper to stay asleep for ever so that people can keep farming the Warders for loot. There are many different reasons why players in Seal Team want to awaken it (as well as many reasons why some want to keep it asleep)
1) Yes, there are some players, who view p99 green as a competitive server, and want to prevent other guild forces from getting that loot, so they can continue to compete with an advantage
2) There are many like myself who have dreamed of watching this event. I missed it 20 years ago when I played EQ on live, and I've always wanted to see it. I played on a TLP server trying to witness it, but I was on a plane the day they woke it =/
3) Many are afraid that a rogue force will wake it in the middle of the night, and they don't want to miss the once in a server event. Yes, there is definitely a rogue force that does want the sleeper to awaken at any cost
4) Many ST members want it to waken so as a guild they can focus on other targets instead of always prioritizing tomb targets first
5) There has been a ton of drama in the guild, and many want to awaken it so the drama and the bickering ends
6) Some players see the event as the culmination of the purpose of p99 - to relive the progression of classic -> velious
7) Once the sleeper awakes, new content is added. Namely Essence Lens quest items. Some players want the sleeper to awaken so they can work on these quests
8) Many ST members want to keep it asleep to farm loot for themselves and their friends
9) Many ST members want to keep it asleep so that other guilds will have a chance to kill warders and get legacy items before they go away for ever
10) Some ST players are just team players and are happy to do whatever leadership wants, supporting them and their teammates
11) Some ST members believe that Kingdom has been cheating by breaking the engagement rules on Sleeper's Tomb key mobs (namely the 1 minute 97% rule). They see his as an FU to Kingdom (and in the case of some members, an FU to the GMs), for ignoring these rules and others

In reality, Seal Team is a guild of over 100 active members, and we have varying different opinions and goals. I can tell you that even those leading the guild have been incredibly split on the issue. However, the rogue kill force has put it somewhat out of our control, and most of us agree that we would rather do it on our own terms, than to randomly wake up one day and discovering someone woke it overnight

Let me know if you have any questions

It's a really cool event, and I hope you're able to watch it! Either on the stream, or with your own character
Last edited by Daewyn; 04-13-2022 at 06:19 PM..
Old 04-13-2022, 06:16 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure Decapolis95, I'll try to sum it all up for you

Sleeper's Tomb is a raid zone in Velious. To enter, you need a key that drops off of raid dragons that take 25-75 people to kill. They drop a maximum of one key at a time, so it takes months to key a full raid force for the Tomb

The final bosses of the tomb are 4 warders. They drop legacy loot (legacy means at some point it won't drop anymore), as well as primal weapons which are a huge boost to raid DPS.

Lorewise, the warders have been tasked with keeping The Sleeper (aka Kerafyrm) asleep. As long as any warder is alive, Kerafyrm will stay asleep. Once you kill the 4th warder, without waiting first for the others to respawn, Kerafyrm will awaken. This only happens once per server. After this point, the warders will never respawn again.

There's a really cool script that then happens where Kerayrm then goes from zone to zone, killing everything in it's path - players and NPCs alike. Lots of cool plotline / lore stuff as well

Kerafyrm was meant to be unkillable. Level 99 and kills everyone in one round

There were just a couple servers back on live that waited to awaken the sleeper. 2 expansions later, in PoP era, at level 65, a guild was finally able to kill it. It took hundreds of people hours to do it. The strategy involved was corpse cannoning - dying, resurrecting, and getting back in there, over, and over, and over. There was actually a lot of interesting drama over this stuff back in the day. For example the first guild that had a shot to kill the sleeper, got it to ~15% HP, and then the GMs manually despawned it, assuming they were using cheats/exploits (they were not).

As for P99 politics, many want the sleeper to stay asleep for ever so that people can keep farming the Warders for loot. There are many different reasons why players in Seal Team want to awaken it (as well as many reasons why some want to keep it asleep)
1) Yes, there are some players, who view p99 green as a competitive server, and want to prevent other guild forces from getting that loot, so they can continue to compete with an advantage
2) There are many like myself who have dreamed of watching this event. I missed it 20 years ago when I played EQ on live, and I've always wanted to see it. I played on a TLP server trying to witness it, but I was on a plane the day they woke it =/
3) Many are afraid that a rogue force will wake it in the middle of the night, and they don't want to miss the once in a server event. Yes, there is definitely a rogue force that does want the sleeper to awaken at any cost
4) Many ST members want it to waken so as a guild they can focus on other targets instead of always prioritizing tomb targets first
5) There has been a ton of drama in the guild, and many want to awaken it so the drama and the bickering ends
6) Some players see the event as the culmination of the purpose of p99 - to relive the progression of classic -> velious
7) Once the sleeper awakes, new content is added. Namely Essence Lens quest items. Some players want the sleeper to awaken so they can work on these quests
8) Many ST members want to keep it asleep to farm loot for themselves and their friends
9) Many ST members want to keep it asleep so that other guilds will have a chance to kill warders and get legacy items before they go away for ever
10) Some ST players are just team players and are happy to do whatever leadership wants, supporting them and their teammates

Let me know if you have any questions

It's a really cool event, and I hope you're able to watch it! Either on the stream, or with your own character
Got it! Thank you very much!