Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothsa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
enchanter might be able to solo thier epic
Enchanter can't port themselves to pohate, check mate.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:23 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are missing it that you would be DA the entire time except for when hooping / soulfiring (1 second?). Could try and time that so there is no tap on you.
Why would you need idols and soulfires in infinite time? There would be an infinite number of occaisions in which trak misses every attack and never procs his lifetap.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:35 AM
Planar Protector

Forget Boltzmann brains they got Boltzmann raids up in here.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:37 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah my 30s were kind of a blur I spent that decade trying to kill trakanon on an empty server. Got him to 85% on try number 652 then the server got deleted after I was in urgent care of kidney problems. Not my proudest decade but I learned alot about myself
I'd rather not think of this experiment as your life but an actual solo EQ hell that goes on for all eternity. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-14-2019, 03:27 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschenny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would you need idols and soulfires in infinite time? There would be an infinite number of occaisions in which trak misses every attack and never procs his lifetap.
I guess that makes the entire thought experiment pretty much moot then.

In infinite time, there will eventually exist an occasion for most mobs where they will miss every attack and you resist every spell.
Last edited by Quizlop; 03-14-2019 at 03:30 AM..
Old 03-14-2019, 06:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschenny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Funny but false. As I understand it, the RNG at its core is based off a timed variable such as a micro second on the server. Since Trak's attack is timed as well it is mathematically impossible he will always miss and eventually his attack rate would be in sync with the microsecond value of a hit / proc success.

Caiu linked some site about a true RNG that uses values based off white noise from outer space. Only with this in place could your scenario be possible.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Funny but false. As I understand it, the RNG at its core is based off a timed variable such as a micro second on the server. Since Trak's attack is timed as well it is mathematically impossible he will always miss and eventually his attack rate would be in sync with the microsecond value of a hit / proc success.

Caiu linked some site about a true RNG that uses values based off white noise from outer space. Only with this in place could your scenario be possible.
I'm sure it is based off the clock and all that. That doesn't preclude getting long strings of a certain result and certainly not over an infinite time period.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

Hmm...it depends on the range of the RNG algorithm in use by P99. What it's seeded from doesn't matter, as long as it's not the same every time and has a value range that matches the limit of the RNG distribution. No matter the seed value, any algorithm is going to produce a characteristic range and distribution that looks statistically similar. If that range can be lopsided enough to never have a value that crosses the 'to hit' value then yeah...but these algorithms are designed not to do that kind of thing. I mean, they can only generate so many values before they wrap around again because they are deterministic and do not generate an infinite range of values. Any RNG that has a mathematical chance of generating very lopsided results is not a good RNG, by definition. I think there are seed values and generation lengths and algorithms that could do what is being talked about in a short run, but of course the chances get more and more unlikely the longer the series is.

So, basically I think that Rygar is correct, it wouldn't be possible using an algorithmic RNG such as the one P99 uses. It probably would be possible using an actual source of randomness, but the time range on that would certainly far exceed the life expectancy of any neckbeard, no matter how dedicated. Also, no one is sure what 'random' actually means or how to detect it. There's a paradox about detecting actual randomness...to detect it you have to define what it looks like, and if you do that then it's not random any more.
Last edited by fadetree; 03-14-2019 at 08:47 AM..
Old 03-14-2019, 11:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If that range can be lopsided enough to never have a value that crosses the 'to hit' value then yeah...but these algorithms are designed not to do that kind of thing. I mean, they can only generate so many values before they wrap around again because they are deterministic and do not generate an infinite range of values. Any RNG that has a mathematical chance of generating very lopsided results is not a good RNG, by definition.
You're massively misunderstanding randomness if you think that's true. By definition any RNG that can't (when given an infinite amount of time) generate lopsided results is a terrible RNG. A truly random RNG should generate a healthy series of "1 0 1 0 1 1 0 ..."-style sequences, but it absolutely should also generate "0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ..." from time to time, or else it's not truly random. And technically all computer-generated random numbers aren't actually random ... but the pseudo-random numbers that are generated are still far more random than that.

Also, to be clear every random number you will ever see in any computer game ever is timer based. That's just how computers generate random numbers, since they can't roll dice: they check the time, do some math on that time, and generate a (pseudo-)random number.

But, that in no way guarantees that "eventually you'll get hit because eventually you'll hit the right time". It's not like anything the computer is doing is based on time in that way: it's more like the computer looks at the last digit of the current millisecond (although it's not that simple), and obviously every time it checks that last digit could keep being 7 or whatever number it needs to be to fail.

Depending on how the EQ Emulator code works it's possible that their specific implementation ensures Trak never misses more than X number of times in a row, but there's nothing inherent in RNGs that would guarantee that, and unless someone did an experiment on their own private EQ Emu server to test it out I'd tend to believe the software really does have (pseudo-)random numbers.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-14-2019 at 11:17 AM..
Old 03-14-2019, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Monkeys locked in a room with a typewriter won't ever write Shakespeare. It is only a theoretical probability but can't actually happen.

Just like when people calculate the odds of a tornado assembling an airplane from raw parts.

Get back to reality and endulge this fantasy thread!
Closed Thread