Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 08-23-2023, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WAR is not good for exp. WAR cannot hold aggro over a PAL or SK... once again.

You know nothing.
Warrior is just fine for xp. I never had threat issues on my warrior leveling. Granted this was before the 2 sequential nerfs to common warrior weapons. There was a time that WESS was massive aggro - 4 poison counters stat debuff and blind all contributing stacking aggro effects. Infestation too used to be multiple poison counters (900-1k threat) before being nerfed to 400 then subsequently nerfed to garbage.

If a warrior has decent haste, a frostbringer + other and decent dex, I can’t imagine it’s that bad unless you’re grouped with a bunch of mouth breathers.

Im just glad I got Frostreaver before all these nerfs crippled warriors.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-23-2023, 12:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FWIW enc / necro is better than enc / cleric for XP. Hope this helps.
double HT charm pet in howling stones... clearing whole north wing with a duo in less than 20 minutes. feelsgood.jpg. wouldnt be able to duo it that fast with a cleric.

but hey what do we know? OP says Necro is bad class
Old 08-23-2023, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

Necro is arguably the most versatile (versatile =\= powerful) class in the game.

For solo … well we all know what they can do. Ench and Shaman take the case for trophy kills but necros solo (XP) do it better than the reset other than a well played enchanter. And they can do it in a variety of different ways. Charm, rot/dot, fear kiting, heck even playing healer to their pet.

For groups? Damn it’s a long list. Even with summon pet and nukes they can hold their own and beat out or keep up with most or all melee minus the super twinks. With a charm pet they are better dps than any melee. They can CC/root. They can heal well enough for most groups of played correctly. They can offtank with their pets. Feed a needy cleric extra mana. And most of all - they are entirely self sufficient while doing it. If they take damage they can simply heal themselves so the cleric can put their mana to use elsewhere. Hell they can even rez.

In raids the job shifts roles but between DA, f/d rez … and most importantly TWITCH the fill a really valuable role.

Necro is one of the super classes in this game. Played poorly they are still pretty good. Played properly they are god tier.

I parse passively all groups I’m in. When there as a dps support on my necro leveling (now 60), it was pretty rare that any melee was laying down more hurt per mob than my necro + summon pet. Mobs die to fast to dot and necro DDs (taps and other) aren’t the best but with the lich line mana flows like wine. Better yet if that DPS is coming from taps, liberally toss out HoTs and the tapped health is put to good use.

A properly played mage is really the only class that will reliably dish out more damage (sustained and burst) if you exclude charm.

Last edited by Troxx; 08-23-2023 at 03:31 PM..
Old 08-23-2023, 04:23 PM
Sarnak

Op clearly just needs to spend more time in the elite trio's that bard/necro can offer. Then he will know
Old 08-23-2023, 05:25 PM
Sarnak

Great reads. I didn't know I was dealing with necromancer activists here. Thanks for the link to more of Troxx trying to convince himself of things.
Old 08-23-2023, 05:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Meh, cleric / enc / bard is actually not great. The bard doesn't do much there. Too much overlap and your only damage is the enc pet...its "too safe."
You've played this game substantially more than me, so I won't try to challenge your assertion that it's "actually not great". And sure, I've been in groups that slaughtered mobs at a faster rate, like a ~50s chanter/necro/cleric/shaman group in CoM.

We were all mid-30s, untwinked or minimally twinked, dungeon crawling challenging stuff for our level, looking for a couple upgrades for the enchanter in the Guk and Sol dungeons. Between Clarity and bard mana regen, we were swimming in mana, and with bard health regen, I didn't need to spend much of it on heals. I was in fine plate, with haste gloves and a PWC, so I think I spent a lot of the time tanking and spanking, with nukes and stuns mixed in. I think the bard often mixed in a charm pet, so all three of us contributed DPS.

If your ideal group involves sitting in camp buzzsawing through the mobs that the puller is bringing in at a steady clip, then yeah it's probably not a great trio. But for crawling challenging dungeons while maintaining a substantial margin of safety even without excellent gear, I think it's excellent. And I often prefer crawling dungeons to sitting in a camp.
Old 08-23-2023, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great reads. I didn't know I was dealing with necromancer activists here. Thanks for the link to more of Troxx trying to convince himself of things.
If only there were links where posters all concluded the opposite, supporting your point of view...
Old 08-23-2023, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

Wow I had forgotten about that thread of mine. Like over 6 years old.

Still relevant though.

Old 08-23-2023, 06:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If only there were links where posters all concluded the opposite, supporting your point of view...
I don't recall disagreeing with anything from that thread other than the parsing was pointless. I support the statement that necros are ok in groups.