Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was during PoP and really didn't affect end game geared monks. Still had more ac than my brother's equally geared warrior.

the mitigation nerf was directly aimed at end game geared monks.

SoE thought that top geared monks could tank too well... I guess I should say Furor thought this and SoE listened.

I was a top geared monk and had worked my way there as an iksar all through kunark.
Raided in velious and luclin... was just enjoying the fruits of my labors when they nerf'ed me. ARRGHHHAARRR!!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Orc

http://www.monkly-business.net/forum...itigation+nerf

Lot of posts about it. Was intended to nerf the uber geared so they couldn't raid tank but ended up hitting those not as well geared. Was my experience anyways that it really did nothing to me. As to whether or not it's like this here, not sure until I roll my iksar monk.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was during PoP and really didn't affect end game geared monks. Still had more ac than my brother's equally geared warrior.
You misunderstand the result of the nerf. It didn't reduce the AC of monks at all. What changed was the way that AC value could be used to mitigate the damage you took. I wasn't playing at the time, but I heard monks were changed to tank like the leather class they were, with some evasion to help out.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Fire Giant

Yea, I really don't know what people are talking about saying it was in Velious. If people remember, Furor was one of the big crusaders to have monks mitigation nerfed and part of his reasoning was because that monks were tanking Ssra / VT mobs more effectively than warriors. The whole nerf was targeted at high end monks who were up int he 1400+ AC range. Pretty sure it was either late Luclin or early PoP. It definitely did not occur in Velious though, because I specifically remember ramp tanking AL, TVK and similar mobs in Luclin.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:40 AM
Fire Giant

It was definitely Luclin. Furor threw a huge public hissy fit because monks were tanking emperor and shit and he was upset that he rolled the basic tank class yet wasn't the best tank.

It was the huge ac/hp items that were all/all at the end of velious and in luclin that made monks so sick at tanking.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:02 AM
Kobold

OCTOBER 16, 2002

Defensive Changes:

* Decreased Monks' ability to mitigate damage (please see the Developer's Update on www.everquestlive.com for more details).
* Improved the ability of Paladins, Shadowknights, Warriors and Bards to mitigate damage in some situations.
* Upgraded Warrior dodge cap to 190.
* Upgraded Paladin, Shadowknight and Bard dodge cap to 170.
* Upgraded Ranger and Beastlord dodge to 170 and defense to 240.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Planar Protector

Tanks always had a problem with how well monks could take a hit.

I enchant things...
Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Kobold

rightfully so, in what world is it fair to be one of the top dpsers, puller, and tank all at once? when you have classes like rogues who can only do dps, and warrior who can only tank. monk were always over powered and are still if you ask me.
I use to play a rogue on live and it was a lot of fun, but when I was lfg for hours and hours staring at mobs from far away and saw monks just kill them as they ran by because to join their group (since they can do it all) it's that easy... well I wasn't happy.

maybe they should get a 40% exp penalty like hybrids since they are multi function.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Planar Protector

No point complaint about it here, if it's classic it's in. Monks were and are OPed. Just like mages!!

I enchant things...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Planar Protector

I can't find it in the patch notes so it looks like i'm wrong, but I feel like I remember some kind of mitigation/AC nerf before the one mentioned here. I stopped playing before September 2002, but I specifically remember being able to solo certain dark blue mobs prior to said nerf....but afterward, I couldn't get them down to 20% before I bit the dust. It was part of why I lost interest in the game; I couldn't solo even weak blues and had a very odd schedule which kept me from grouping much.

Oh well - probably just poor memory on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Closed Thread