Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 05-08-2023, 02:11 PM
Large Rat

Default Looking to start out questing for gear on a Barbarian Rogue

Hi everyone,

This is definitely NOT going to be the best way to go about doing this, but it might be the most rewarding path in the end.

Basically, I want to run around Norrath doing quests to collect gear and whatever loot drops I can find along the way to gear up a Barbarian Rogue. I have a pretty good idea idea of how slow & difficult it will be if I primarily solo my way through this, but I envision myself hopefully finding other adventurers along my travels who will assist me in acquiring said gear.

This playstyle is more of the "Take your time and enjoy the journey" approach, and so with that being said, do any of you guys & gals have some quests & zones that you've already adventured in (even if some of the zones are way off the beaten path) that you care to recommend and share?

Starting out, I'd be doing all the quests in Halas and Everfrost Peaks to get my stuff, culminating in getting the Black Wolf armor and then venturing outward from there.

I would like to move from zone to zone and continent to continent to canvas the world. Basically the whole "Wandering Hero" idea. If Barbarian Rogue is truly an awful choice, I am open to a Paladin as well, but I would like to attempt this mainly as a Rogue if possible for the challenge, while looking for the best AC gear I can find along the way (at the appropriate level), and joining up with others to help with tougher stuff when applicable.

I am also not opposed at all to doing my own trade skilling as well to help gear up when necessary.

Thanks all. I appreciate your advice & suggestions very much.

Uza
Old 05-08-2023, 03:35 PM
Banned

banded gear + dragoon dirk

barb is probably best choice for a rogue because they have the highest strength and

they can bash because they are a big race
Old 05-09-2023, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

I'd rather take my dick to a grinding wheel. That is going to be just awful.

Paladin would be better, at least you get root.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:03 PM
Sarnak

Hello fellow Rogue! I leveled up in Auld Lang Syne, which was designed to provide a similar experience to what you are looking for. Unfortunately while we are still somewhat active on Blue, we don't have a lot of newer players. Green server took the majority of people looking for a non-tunnel gearing experience and we never really recovered the population. Its made leveling up in ALS more of a lonely experience than it used to be.

I did find leveling as a Rogue with found gear to be very rewarding. The Burning Rapier quest is a good one for a reasonable mid level weapon, and I used it for a long time. The Iksar Berserker Club from Kurn's is the strongest weapon you can reasonably get on your own for a very long time, so camping one when you're strong enough to clear the placeholders is a good idea.

There's a lot of good quests in the Qeynos areas. Take a look at the sewers early on, it can be fun to explore down there and there are some decent +hp earrings/rings down there. You'll want to blacksmith some banded as a base armor set.

You won't be able to solo Sarnak Berserkers for a long time, but once you can get an OT hammer. Don't hurt VS faction until you do. Dark Elf illusion gets you a lot of the way towards what you need, but that hammer is a godsend for getting places and the braids turnin is very good XP.

Take boats, explore some islands. There's a bunch of them in OOT. Try and get a friend to help you camp an Ancient Ring for JBoots. Skill up pickpocket, try to steal from guards or giants or other humanoid mobs and run for your life if you're caught.

Overall, explore, travel, have fun! Try to team up with people when you can. Most dungeons will have some type of upgrades for you, so can explore around and try out different places. Its not a particularly easy road, but it can be a fun one.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:08 PM
Planar Protector

Seems like you would just be relying on others to do all the heavy lifting for you.