Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 05-03-2023, 12:35 PM
Kobold

Lightbulb My Ranger performing better with DW compared to 2H (lvl 39) Need advice!

So.. I keep reading posts about how amazing 2H is for leveling up and how we shouldn't get out of 2H until 50. Maybe it has something to do with my weapons, but i am wearing 22% haste gloves and my DW combo usually outperforms my 2H weapon.

Dual Wield Set
https://wiki.project1999.com/Silken_Whip_of_Ensnaring
https://wiki.project1999.com/Green_Jade_Broadsword

2H
https://wiki.project1999.com/Springwood_Stave

I been leveling off the cougars from level 32 up to 39, unti level 35, the Springwood did seem to do way better, but after 36 things started to change abruptly towards my DW combo.

My 1Handers aren't even that good, being the Springwood Stave 2nd best choice after Woodman's Staff (i believe) i been trying for a while to get one but nobody selling so i did stick to this weapon.

At this point... Will make any sense to puruse the Woodman's? Will make any big difference? Get better 1-Handers instead?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2023, 01:06 PM
Sarnak

Get a woodmans staff
Old 05-03-2023, 01:48 PM
Planar Protector

“Second place” doesn’t necessarily mean “basically almost as good.” 31/35 is 20% faster than 31/42. 20% more damage is a lot better.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

#1: use all means available to get a Woody staff. Search WTS posts on the forums / discord, actively look in tunnel.

#2: How are you testing this? You used the word "seem" and that makes me skeptical.

People tend to think 1 handers are better when you go by feels. This is because the troughs of bad RNG on a slow 2 hander "feel" way worse than the highs...and watching 2 weapons attack more often is just psychologically "moar gud" for most people.

Go XP for an hour with the 1 handers. Then do another hour with the Woody in the exact same spot / ideally same mobs. As long as your playstyle doesn't change and there isn't outside interference that would get you killed / force you to stop playing, it should be a pretty good indicator of which is performing better.

But just get a damn Woodsman's Staff and use it. Trust. You're comparing a 4k weapon to like 300p worth of trash 1 handers I would give to a random level 5 in rags because I felt bad.
Last edited by Toxigen; 05-03-2023 at 01:57 PM..
Old 05-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
#1: use all means available to get a Woody staff. Search WTS posts on the forums / discord, actively look in tunnel.

#2: How are you testing this? You used the word "seem" and that makes me skeptical.

People tend to think 1 handers are better when you go by feels. This is because the troughs of bad RNG on a slow 2 hander "feel" way worse than the highs...and watching 2 weapons attack more often is just psychologically "moar gud" for most people.

Go XP for an hour with the 1 handers. Then do another hour with the Woody in the exact same spot / ideally same mobs. As long as your playstyle doesn't change and there isn't outside interference that would get you killed / force you to stop playing, it should be a pretty good indicator of which is performing better.

But just get a damn Woodsman's Staff and use it. Trust. You're comparing a 4k weapon to like 300p worth of trash 1 handers I would give to a random level 5 in rags because I felt bad.
Like i said, i been leveling from 32-39 on Snow Cougars, when i got Springwood Stave, until level 36, it did feel like cougars would die faster with 2H, but once i hit 36 i started testing out more often to kill them with DW and they did usually drop faster by a margin amount of between 15-30 seconds. Also due to level variance or stats, i have seen cats being harder to hit and missing a lot of times with 2H wether the DW works way better and makes up for the misses with the speed they hit at.

Trust me, i was the one interested in getting a Woodman's Staff, i did pass the money from my Necro to my Ranger for that purpose, but nobody is selling, and the only person that was advertising has seem to be playing on a different timezone than mine and i never seen him again for days on Discord Bot... Forum posts never worked for me, and i do spam often at EC Tunnel, but i guess they're on high demand or scarce.
Last edited by IzHaN80; 05-03-2023 at 06:00 PM..
Old 05-03-2023, 05:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
“Second place” doesn’t necessarily mean “basically almost as good.” 31/35 is 20% faster than 31/42. 20% more damage is a lot better.
Didn't look at it that way, i will try to get one, but the only seller that was advertising one, we were skipping each other for days, and i guess the person got to sell it finally. I am using Discord Bot, i never got success when trying to find items throught post forums.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzHaN80 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't look at it that way, i will try to get one, but the only seller that was advertising one, we were skipping each other for days, and i guess the person got to sell it finally. I am using Discord Bot, i never got success when trying to find items throught post forums.
Idk bout leveling it def shines with raid gear, cek sword outdpses my kriezen flame.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:51 PM
Kobold

To add to this post, i also noticed one of the other causes why i believe actually my DW will outperform 2H. I've noticed that my 2H a lot of times will hit as low as 11 damage as far as i reported on some low con greens. This doesn't seem to make much sense given the +8 dmg bonus that im supposed to get on top of my 31 base damage on weapon plus 200 Offensive + 200 2HB + 154 STR i mean... How is that even possible? I need to keep further testing but something is off with this damage.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:59 AM
Planar Protector

Parse it. The game does not run on feelings.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Idk bout leveling it def shines with raid gear, cek sword outdpses my kriezen flame.
Let’s see some parses comparing the 2.