Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 05-30-2023, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mage is the better duo cos you can go to dumb places with a mage and just gate out when you’re done (pre mallet).
Gate potions and WC caps are useable at low levels pre mallet. Again, I agree that a Mage is a tempting pick if both players are planning on doing an untwinked run. If both players are twinked, I'd pick Rogue over Mage.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Yea lets drink a 300-1000pp consumable to get out of dalnir on our level 30 toons?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 05-30-2023, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea lets drink a 300-1000pp consumable to get out of dalnir on our level 30 toons?
If you are trying to level cheaply and quickly, you aren't going in to Dalnir to level. That is something more experienced players tend to do when they are bored of the normal leveling spots. Usually those players will be able to afford twinking and WC caps for emergencies.

There are plenty of duo spots where you don't need gate to leave. If you want to stay in Dalnir for a long period of time, you can just camp in there instead of gating out every time. Dying at that level range isn't a big deal. XP comes quickly.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

DSM will argue anything.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DSM will argue anything.
Normal discussion = "argue anything" in Toxigen's mind. But that is pretty normal behavior for you. You'll never miss the opportunity to increase your post count by saying something you think is clever. Sadly it's rarely (if ever) clever [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-30-2023, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are trying to level cheaply and quickly, you aren't going in to Dalnir to level. That is something more experienced players tend to do when they are bored of the normal leveling spots. Usually those players will be able to afford twinking and WC caps for emergencies.

There are plenty of duo spots where you don't need gate to leave. If you want to stay in Dalnir for a long period of time, you can just camp in there instead of gating out every time. Dying at that level range isn't a big deal. XP comes quickly.
I was more thinking of adventures off the beaten track than quickly and efficiently. Thats the advantage of statics is you can arrange to go to zones which aren’t considered quick or efficient and enjoy them on their own merits.

The disadvantage of such spots is they are unfamiliar and can often leave you cut short, lost or stuck and mage simply has a better escape rope imo.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 05-30-2023, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I was more thinking of adventures off the beaten track than quickly and efficiently. Thats the advantage of statics is you can arrange to go to zones which aren’t considered quick or efficient and enjoy them on their own merits.

The disadvantage of such spots is they are unfamiliar and can often leave you cut short, lost or stuck and mage simply has a better escape rope imo.
I do agree with you, Gate is a very handy spell. If both the Shaman and the duo partner are brand new to P99, Mage is a good pick for the class's simplicity. You aren't going to be twinked in this situation.

My point was simply that if you are short on money (can't afford WC cap or Gate Potions), then you probably aren't going into zones like Dalnir, unless you prefer the challenge over leveling speed. New players would probably stick to the more common leveling areas, since those are fresh experiences anyway. If you aren't a new player, you can probably afford the WC cap or Gate Potion for the occasional emergency.

As Toxigen and others stated earlier in the thread, Mage is basically just a DPS class in this duo. I was simply expanding upon those statements, which is why I was comparing the Mage to a Rogue.

If the Mage Epic was easy to get, I would pick Mage over Rogue.

A level 60 Mage without Epic is doing 60ish DPS with a Water Pet, + 35 DPS from boots of Bladecalling. With the Shaman slowing, your Damage Shield DPS is only about 5 DPS, so you are doing 100 manaless DPS at 60.

A level 60 Rogue with Epic and a good offhand is doing around 133 manaless DPS. On average the Rogue is better, with the Mage being able to burst for more DPS occasionally, at the cost of needing med breaks here and there.

A level Mage 60 with Epic is doing 90ish DPS with Epic pet, +35 DPS from boots of Bladecalling. The Mage would still be using their castable Damage Shield on the Shaman, so you won't get any boost in DPS from the Epic Pet's superior Damage Shield. An Epic Mage would be doing 130 manaless DPS on average, which is basically on par with the Rogue. At that point the Mage is better, since they have the same average manaless DPS with the option to burst.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-30-2023 at 12:51 PM..
Old 05-30-2023, 01:13 PM
Fire Giant

I think you're discounting the ability to let the pets tank and let the shaman spam JBB, I don't think you'd want the shaman to tank 100% of the time. If you have the rogue tanking it's not efficient at all.

To the OP, I don't have much to add, people have thoroughly explained it all. Mage pairs well with any caster, some better than others! If it that duo sounds fun than go for it.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 05-30-2023, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you're discounting the ability to let the pets tank and let the shaman spam JBB, I don't think you'd want the shaman to tank 100% of the time. If you have the rogue tanking it's not efficient at all.

To the OP, I don't have much to add, people have thoroughly explained it all. Mage pairs well with any caster, some better than others! If it that duo sounds fun than go for it.
A shaman Slow Tanking correctly is spamming JBB already. Slowed mobs are not going to interrupt JBB very often. I Slow Tank with JBB a lot. In this duo the Shaman should be tanking 100% of the time.

A Mage's DPS is at it's strongest when they don't need to have the pet tank. This is because you aren't wasting time/mana on chain summoning pets. 100% of your mana and time is spend on Nuking via clickies or mana nukes, which maximizes DPS.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

jesus christ