Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 04-17-2023, 11:00 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Ranger 2 hander

It's been a long time since I played my ranger and looking play him some more in my free time. I will probably be soloing with him mostly and was just wondering about 2 handers. My ranger is currently lvl 52 and I am looking to get a 34% haste item for him. He has a Woodman's staff but I was wondering about the Argent protector and if that might be better solo wise?
Old 04-17-2023, 11:12 AM
Planar Protector

Woodsmans staff is perfect, but you'll want to grab a Swarmcaller to open with til slow proc.

34% haste would be spiked seahorse belt

After that pretty much save everything for fungi
Last edited by Toxigen; 04-17-2023 at 11:41 AM..
Old 04-17-2023, 11:43 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Already have a swarmcaller and yes, it was the spiked seahorse belt I was looking at.

Looking at the dmg/delay of the 2 weapons, I was just wondering if they would be close in terms of the damage being done during a fight but possibly taking less dmg with the Argent protector due to the delay in terms of ripostes
Old 04-17-2023, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnCanuck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Looking at the dmg/delay of the 2 weapons, I was just wondering if they would be close in terms of the damage being done during a fight but possibly taking less dmg with the Argent protector due to the delay in terms of ripostes
I guess in theory, yes. Also if you're weaving spell casts between swings at times I guess you lose less auto attacks.

The difference is probably negligible...and Woodsman's Staff is a true Ranger weapon.

Let's just go with "literally everyone suggests woody and I dont see anyone talking argent."
Old 04-17-2023, 03:45 PM
Fire Giant

The impact of riposte on incoming damage is pretty overblown, especially when comparing two different 2h weapons. If we're talking dual-wielding two weapons with ~20 delay vs a 49dly 2h, the difference might be noticeable. Two 2hs with 35 vs 49 delay, though? You'd have to parse dozens of hours of combat in order to arrive at a measurable difference.

When you're tanking blue mobs for XP that miss like 50% of their attacks anyway and hit for maybe 120ish max, riposte is just not worth caring about. Any improvement at all in ratio will result in at least the same amount of reduced damage taken just from killing the mob a bit faster. Riposte is something that's worth thinking about if you're tanking Avatar of War or something. It's basically irrelevant for XP mobs, and doubly so when we're talking about two different 2hs, not dual wield vs 2h.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:59 PM
Planar Protector

At 52 it maths out…
Woodsman = 2.228
AP = 2.183

At 60:
Woodsman = 2.657
AP = 2.571

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/dmgbonus.html?setcookie=1

One is slower so better for casting with (100% haste on 49 delay around 25 = one Calefaction cast). It has stats. You also carry a higher damage bonus for archery shots if needed.

In practice they will be very close. Just different flavors. I kinda miss the old Woodsman tbh. Really wish ToV had a weapon with the same graphic as that or the Silver Swiftblade. VP sword withstanding.
Last edited by Snaggles; 04-17-2023 at 04:03 PM..
Old 04-17-2023, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnCanuck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's been a long time since I played my ranger and looking play him some more in my free time. I will probably be soloing with him mostly and was just wondering about 2 handers. My ranger is currently lvl 52 and I am looking to get a 34% haste item for him. He has a Woodman's staff but I was wondering about the Argent protector and if that might be better solo wise?
I recommend the Herbalist spade. The root proc is so good for rangers 49+ when soloing(fear kiting animals kinda dies out at this point unless ya go to WW). Paralyzing earth is 3x better than any other root rangers get. It comes in handy when having to heal sometimes mid combat.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:07 PM
Planar Protector

Ensnaring Roots (lvl 49) isn’t too bad for parking. It’s basically Enstill with a damage component. It’s not PE though, especially as a proc.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Im selling a https://wiki.project1999.com/Lupine_Dagger on Green if you want to be a real boss
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 04-24-2023, 02:37 AM
Planar Protector

I loved my lupine dagger, especially early on when it first started proccing. I’ve not seen one drop in AGES.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung