Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

Donating is a common courtesy, and is never a requirement. When payment is demanded outright, that is not donating, that's barter.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Donating is a common courtesy, and is never a requirement. When payment is demanded outright, that is not donating, that's barter.
Barter would be me giving you a pair of split paw gloves for a port. Paying for a port is called paying for a port.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Donations are whatever the person feels is fair and can afford. Remember, you are using the porters time and to not tip is simply being cheap.
Many newbies donate more than they can afford. I accept donations for clarity but I don't ask or expect them. One time I refunded tips I received because the person over the course of a few hours donated all of their available funds. Porting is a little more time involved so tips should reflect that. Asking someone to find a port and travel several zones to rez you to save you an hour or 2 of grinding back exp should cost you dearly. Don't think I have yet found someone willing to travel to rez. This isn't unexpected as I value the time I take making money near as much as grinding exp so I'm not rich enough, or high enough level to offer thousands of plat for rezzes.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralexia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Barter would be me giving you a pair of split paw gloves for a port. Paying for a port is called paying for a port.
Paying for a port is bartering with an accepted currency, but it's still bartering.

Semantics ftw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Orc

I see the word "donations" as the porter not wanting to cap their upside.

I agree with many that folks who say, "porting for donations" are really looking for the server average tip for the port (or more). If you give less or none they may or may not bitch about it out loud, but they won't like it.

If you are expecting X for the port you need to ask for X. If you don't ask for X and get less by using the word "donations" to try and accentuate your upside from those who tip more than you have no one to blame but yourself.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Reppy Send a message via AIM to Reppy Send a message via Yahoo to Reppy

I port al the time on my wizard and i use donation's and that is what it is doesn't matter how much it is whatever you wish to give even if it is free that is ok aas well. There on are people that will abuse the free ports i am sure but after so many i think you should always donate something if reguardless.

I have had people ask me hey how much for the port and it is just a donation and it is just that so if you see me now you know what you can do.

Reppy
Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paying for a port is bartering with an accepted currency, but it's still bartering.

Semantics ftw.
No. Currency is a medium of exchange. Just sayin~ :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Semantics ftw.
Barter: To trade goods or services without the exchange of money.

Semantics fail.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Kobold

I just wanna know one thing... when us tanks are on a raid, can we start taunting for donations? Just sayin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] a brottha has gotta make a livin too[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralexia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2. (Business / Commerce) (intr) to haggle over the terms of such an exchange; bargain

Freedictionary fail.

Barter's primary meaning in a modern context is "to trade without money," but all organic money (gold, silver, etc) was originally a barter (until some government provides legal tender laws), and the secondary meaning doesn't necessarily require the user to exclude money from the equation.

You may return to your regularly scheduled trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Closed Thread