Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 11-09-2022, 05:50 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Hello World!

Hello everyone!

After playing many many MMORPGS its time to start playing Everquest!

I did so much research yet I get knocked, punched in the face and even lost in this game!

Id really use some fellowship during my adventure! Im dying yet im not giving up. All I really need is some companions and a guide.

I am playing at Project 1999. Green (Velious, PvE) server on my testing character but there comes another case.
I dont really know which class would suit me best.

I am searching for a class that would be extremally helpfull in groups and could wander around solo if needed. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you all for your replies!

Best Regards,
WIercin
Old 11-09-2022, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

Halfling druid is a great first step into the game. The misty area is a good place to learn a lot of the game as a early newbie.

And once you're level 5 or 6 you can hoof it to East common lands, where there are gonig to be ample people that you can talk to, ask about groups, find people.

Just get to EC and /shout that you're looking for companions and some help getting started and grouping at your level etc, and people will prob be inclined to help.

If not just run around asking for buffs, and fighting NPCs in EC/WC that give you good exp, you'll learn a lot about how interacting with players works in that zone.

Druid is a nice step too because you can always heal, and that's great for putting and holding a group together, and you can travel, and solo well, so it is a great way to tour the game.

I think if you dont get any folks here that are keen on joining you in game, that you could have great success in game screwing around, exping, and interacting with players in EC!

Enjoy! Welcome to the real real world!
Old 11-10-2022, 01:35 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiercin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am searching for a class that would be extremally helpfull in groups and could wander around solo if needed. Do you have any suggestions
Melee characters are generally harder to start out with as a first toon because they are more gear dependent.

As far as casters, two classes that are particularly good at both soloing and grouping are Enchanter and Shaman. They each have a decent learning curve and aren't necessarily amazing solo'ers at low levels. As the above poster mentioned, Druids are one of the best solo'ers of the game and are fairly well liked in a group, at least until the highest levels.

Enjoy the journey!
Old 11-10-2022, 02:09 PM
Kobold

Druid is probably the easiest class to start out as due to their well-roundedness. They can heal, melee (at low levels), nuke, and kite enemies really well for solo. However, for grouping you can only fulfill a support healing role, so it's more solo-oriented.

Necromancer is also very starter-friendly since they are also very self-reliant due to having pets, health siphon, corpse find, and can do decent damage. You will find groups a bit easier with Necro since you can do solid damage and crowd control.

Neither class requires much gear either.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:26 PM
Sarnak

Welcome. I'll endorse what others have already said, avoid a melee class and strongly consider going druid, necro or enchanter. I would read some player guides on the wiki and maybe check out some videos on youtube to help make your decision. The low levels can be a struggle but as you get higher there are more opportunities to group and you have more strategies you can use to solo.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

Troll or Ogre shaman is a great way to start if you’re happy in a swamp. They melee better than any of the weaker races and their spells are great eventually being one of the better solo classes and great in groups.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:05 AM
Decaying Skeleton

My test class is an ogre. And he is just a mere apprentice in shamanic ways.

I will try out Druid halfling since I was always Caster lover. (Coercer in Eq2, Necro in L2 etc.)

I will also try Necro since it sounds fun.

@Spoil I always check yt guides and forums before trying out a class. Thats my curse.

Thank you all for your replies - it proven that Eq P99 has great community.

P.S. What level should I get to have good overlook about class?
Old 11-11-2022, 11:46 PM
Planar Protector

level 30 is when those classes become those classes. Maybe mid 20's or whatever. But basically level 30.

Those are all casters. The shaman is a caster. The shaman in this game has the massive advantage of getting to be a troll or an ogre. It makes a big difference forever but it makes the biggest difference in my experience at level 1-30 when you do a lot of face to face melee battle with mobs for EXP still. Once you get higher level that stops being a viable part of leveling up.

Probably the main thing i'd reccomend is to choose the geographical area you wanna be immersed in. If you play to "win" you're going to miss out on the actual game, hit maximum level, and decide not to raid.

This game wasn't invented in the well crafted thought out progression days. It was a "quest" and most people never knew what was going on. All the stuff in the wiki is a compilation of 23 years of people figuring stuff out on their own. That information is not supposed to be available to you. The entire game is a mystery and finding out how to play it BY playing it will serve you well. Making an intelligent class / race / stat allocation is a nice smart way to start. I would only consult wiki from now on when you're getting fucked up.

ask people in the game what to do and for tips. Its how it was always done and you will not regret truly experiencing the game.

This game ENDS at level 60. It doesn't begin there. On live, most people never got to level 50 or level 60 and didn't even aspire to get there.

So try not to min-max because it will suck the fun out of the game.

You can't go wrong with a necromancer (iksar is significantly the best, and if you go that route you might as well just be a KUNARK guy) and you can't go wrong with Shaman or Druid and for those classes you just pick the race you enjoy the starting zone the most.

Evil alignment means not seeing a lot of neat happy good guy places that are really well thought out. It's not the worst but it is a different path.

Playing an Iksar I reccomend staying in Kunark and taking the kunark journey which is a very cool second generation part of the game. I suggest it as your second character though, because Kunark is built based on the lessons learned from Vanilla and the zone design is made to accomodate the expected (and received) massive influx of new players to jump into this kick ass game that was just on top of the world at the time. Most of the zones were designed to handle over 150 players at all times without a problem and they did. When you play them here its a pretty vast frontier and it won't be populated like it was in 2000 when it was released (because of EXP modifiers and mob HP in those zones they are not the most efficient places to level so people don't do it)

You cant go wrong but I do suggest trying to jump into the game with 2 feet and consulting the wiki as an -as-needed basis, while trying to ask people around you for help and info. This will not only get your free items but actually let you play immersively.

Let us know what class you settle on.

Druids can teleport btw. And if you have a friend to log on you can powerlevel him or have him play one of your accounts so you can powerlevel your next alt. Thats a pro tip that is pretty hard to argue with. But I still say choose the starting zone you wanna enjoy. Don't plan for the future. Just go for it.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:34 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome!

If you haven't already, you can check out the wiki for class information as well as anything else you might want to know.

Just pick a class that sounds interesting. Some people are saying to avoid melee classes, but it's fine to go that route if you want. Melee class main players leveled up in rags and did fine, you can too if it's the class you want to play.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:12 AM
Sarnak

If you go necro, lvl1-4 naked cashless are pretty tough. Beware