Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-09-2023, 06:26 PM
Skeleton

Default Path from Zone A to Zone D?

As a non-consistent (been in and out the past ~15-20 years) with a terrible memory, is there any web tools that can tell me how to get from Zone A to Zone D?

ideally just entering the 'Start' and 'Destination', providing each zone in turn for the most direct path.
  1. Zone A
  2. Zone B
  3. Zone C
  4. Zone D

Bonus points for faction info/cities you'd have to cross, a map on the page, and other helpful features.

If not, would a tool like this be useful to the community? I would personally love it, but idk if I'm an odd man out here. I'm a software engineer irl, but know very little web dev. I'd be willing to try if there's a little bit of other interest?
Old 03-09-2023, 08:10 PM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Zone_Connection_World

In theory it would be possible to write an automated tool (it's a variant of a classic programming problem "the traveling salesman"), but I don't think anyone has done so yet ... so the maps I linked above are probably your best bet.

Oh, and if you did want to automate it, I'd be happy to help with the web bits (as a JS dev myself). We even have a JSON zone data file in the wiki (https://wiki.project1999.com/MediaWiki:Zones.js) ... but it doesn't yet have the connections, so someone would need to parse them out of the HTML.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-19-2023, 04:31 PM
Skeleton

Ah good comparison, didn’t think about it.

These are great links, ty! I might throw together a quick API this week then, and if I do I’ll ping you to see if you want to throw up a FE for it.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:59 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://wiki.project1999.com/Zone_Connection_World

In theory it would be possible to write an automated tool (it's a variant of a classic programming problem "the traveling salesman"), but I don't think anyone has done so yet ... so the maps I linked above are probably your best bet.

Oh, and if you did want to automate it, I'd be happy to help with the web bits (as a JS dev myself). We even have a JSON zone data file in the wiki (https://wiki.project1999.com/MediaWiki:Zones.js) ... but it doesn't yet have the connections, so someone would need to parse them out of the HTML.
Starting working on this, but the dataset it going to take a little logger than I originally thought.

tl;dr - I want something in between the map link you posted and the wiki pages for each zone. I've started a web scraping script to accomplish this, ideally gathering the top summary table on each page along with information in the image being input.

Once the data is gathered, putting into a csv, json, sqlite, something and placing in a fastapi should be quick work. I'll continue to keep you posted!
Old 03-22-2023, 01:36 AM
Planar Protector

It would be a really fun tool.

I love thinking through zone by zone journeys
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://wiki.project1999.com/Zones.json
https://github.com/pastram-i/eqatlas_api

Still no API yet, but the scraper is coming together!
Old 03-22-2023, 09:35 PM
Planar Protector

Looks great.

I am rethinking my idea to merge taht data with https://wiki.project1999.com/MediaWiki:Zones.js though, just because every user has to download that file, so we don't want it to be too heavy.

However, we could absolutely have all this data as an include on its own page ... we just need the traveling salesman agorithim to make it uesful [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:27 AM
Skeleton

Poop agreed on the merge rethink - I think these are to be separate from that.

Yep! I’m planning that in the API! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-23-2023, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleyld [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yep! I’m planning that in the API! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 03-23-2023, 12:53 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleyld [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Wtf poop? Autocorrect while barely awake lol - who knows what I was even trying to type!