Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 01-25-2023, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default I read Undercon's Shadow Knight Guide and now I don't want to play my SK anymore

Look, I appreciate honesty and cold hard truths.

But I want my child-like ignorance back.

My Shadow Knight was meant to be the coolest, most deadly knight around, cleaving dragons in two.

If I want to THINK I'm doing more DPS than a Rogue...that's my right, dammit. Pretty sure it's in the Constitution.

I don't know if you wrote this guide in a dark room, while it was storming and you were going through a divorce - but it sure feels like it.

"Welcome to being a Shadow Knight - get ready to suck bad"

Come on! At least LIE to me. Whisper sweet nothings in my ear. Something.

Don't get me wrong - it's a fantastic guide. I don't mean any disrespect.

But I look like this ever since I read it:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And did you private all your YouTube videos? I wanted to watch your SK series, dammit.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:12 PM
Banned

show some respect lol
Old 01-25-2023, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

Th Shadowknight class has a few downers, and more now with the last patch and its possibly out of era Disease Cloud nerf. Your sustained damage output ranges from low to middling depending on level and equipment. Your burst is fair at high levels, but sustainable only for minutes followed by long recovery. Lifetaps don't work against a great many raid monsters on P1999 for no classic reason beyond the admins here felt like adding it on a whim. High-end guilds hate it, lower-end players misunderstand it, and relatively few people care much about the parts of the game where it serves best. Long story short, it is not for no reason the shadowknight is one of the most common characters I see people stripping and parting out in East Commons. They get to the middle level range where the game starts to get harder and nope out.

It has its strengths. I like my own shadowknight very well and still prefer logging it on over any other character on P1999. It tanks adequately for groups and lower-end raids. It solos fairly well by melee standards, travels well for a melee, and sneaks in and out of dungeons very well. It doesn't have to fuss with consumables all that much. Pulling is slower than monk pulling but in some ways easier thanks to tools like snare and fear (a feared caster isn't breaking anyone's Feign). Paired with the wife's shaman, we can duo about anything the more talked-about monk/shaman will duo if we're talking equivalent-geared characters.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:36 PM
Banned

I've got a Monk alt that I'm considering playing instead of the SK, but damn...there are so many Monks out there.

I dunno. It's a tough descision.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've got a Monk alt that I'm considering playing instead of the SK, but damn...there are so many Monks out there.

I dunno. It's a tough descision.
Sometimes the idea of Everquest is more fun than actually playing it. Spending 3 or 4k to get a little set going and then leveling to 20 is about as much interest as I have, then I sell the gear (usually at a net loss) and then make a different one, which is why I have a bunch of low to mid-level naked toons and no level 60s. Chasing the nostalgia is the goal, but doesn't last long.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager and Quitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sometimes the idea of Everquest is more fun than actually playing it. Spending 3 or 4k to get a little set going and then leveling to 20 is about as much interest as I have, then I sell the gear (usually at a net loss) and then make a different one, which is why I have a bunch of low to mid-level naked toons and no level 60s. Chasing the nostalgia is the goal, but doesn't last long.
Yep, sounds like me. Although I do have 2 level 60 chars.

However, a Monk was my main back in '99 and I have the most nostalgia for that class and I never got my Monk to 60.

Maybe I just switch to Monk.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:20 PM
Planar Protector

I tried to read undercons TLDR guide.

At least he admitted SKs can snare. Heal. FD. And invis.

I wish I had rolled an SK instead of a necro oh so long ago.

Necro is horribly squishy. I can't even solo frenzy.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correct take ngl
Old 01-26-2023, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

At least he admitted SKs can snare. Heal. FD. And invis.

I wish I had rolled an SK instead of a necro oh so long ago.

Necro is horribly squishy. I can't even solo frenzy.
I see SKs solo shit Warriors could only dream about.

People act like this game completely revolves around the least interesting and most mundane part of the game (end-game raiding).

I think anyone who had access to a level 60 warrior and a level 60 ranger would almost always choose the latter for any solo adventure, and yet, warriors are arguably the superior class logistically.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:25 PM
Banned

I have a 60 Necro...which is kind of another reason why leveling the SK might not be the best choice.

The spell line feels different enough, but not to a point where it feels fresh.

SKs win fashionquest though. Even Iksars look cool in their armor.