Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Skeleton

Default Hello! What do you guys need?

Hello, I am new to here and have not yet made a character (will once I get my new computer) and wondering what is needed mostly on here? I have played monk/cleric/shaman past lvl 40 on retail, so have some general knowledge of them (but that was many years ago). So I am here asking what is mostly in need? I like to group with people and like to be social, thats why I ask.

Looking forward to see what you guys say, thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Sarnak

One should never worry about what the server needs, more so what do you enjoy playing?

If you start a class because soandso guild needs it, or this server needs it, and it's not one you're comfortable playing the role of, then you'll be in for a long frustrating haul.

Otherwise, like any other game, tanks and healers.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Orc

Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles, warm woolen mittens, brown paper packages wrapped up with string.
Cream colored ponies, warm apple streudels, doorbells, sleighbells, schitzel with noodles, wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings.
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes, snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes, silver white winters that melt into spring.

I'm sorry, what was the question again?
Last edited by Retan; 09-22-2010 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

To give you a non-useless answer, the server generally needs tanks and clerics, as one might expect. These are the classes that can't level solo very effectively, so fewer people play them. There is a grotesque excess of any strong soloing class, moreso here than back in the day, but you don't notice it as much because they're mostly out soloing. There aren't all that many rogues either, but they're not really required for most of the game, so that's not as big of a deal.

Hybrids in particular are really scarce, and you might find them a little more bearable than, say, a warrior because of the added benefit of spells. All three of them can solo to some minor extent, and shadowknights aren't even completely terrible at it. The exp penalty is harsh, though.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Skeleton

What do you mean by exp penalty? I never got around to really playing a tank on EQ, might be fun.

I like to play lots of type of classes, thats why I was asking. If I start playing 1 and it ends up a class I dont like to play, then I will just start up another. Yea, it sucks starting back at lvl 1, but I think the more classes you know how to play, the more effective player you can be. Or at least thats what I have learned through the years of playing so many games (especially MMOs).
Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Kobold

Not sure what that guy was smoking, but generally no class is really *in need* of badly. Play what you want.
65 Ogre Shaman
70 Erudite Paladin
85 Wood Elf Bard/Dark Elf Enchanter
Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop Rob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do you mean by exp penalty? I never got around to really playing a tank on EQ, might be fun.

I like to play lots of type of classes, thats why I was asking. If I start playing 1 and it ends up a class I dont like to play, then I will just start up another. Yea, it sucks starting back at lvl 1, but I think the more classes you know how to play, the more effective player you can be. Or at least thats what I have learned through the years of playing so many games (especially MMOs).
Well if you've played MMO's before, then you should know that tanks and healers are the most needed classes. Only because they suck at leveling and in EQ, most always need a group to level. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Like what I and a few others have said, play what you want, not what we need.

Hybrid classes have an experience penalty, and so do some races. I think Trolls suffer a 15% penalty due to a higher regen, Ogre's get a 10% penalty due to the ability to be unstunable from the front. Halflings get a 5% increase. Barbs get a -5%. Go through the list here to see which race does, and why. Usually due to abilities. Humans were supposed to get the Halfling's exp increase, but due to miscoding, when the game was released, the devs realized their mistake and I think it may have been too late to make corrections, or they got lazy.

Shadowknights, Paladins are what's called a hybrid. They are melee and casters, Paladins *warrior and cleric*, Shadowknights *warrior and necromancer* so they must suffer somewhat to keep things in balance for the most part. Bards are also a hybrid, but not really sure what of. They are warrior and some kind of a caster, but not one playable in EQ, so they also suffer a bit too I believe.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

Well the people who can solo don't need anyone.

The people who can't solo need each other - tanks, healers, and melee dps.

Something those tanks and healers could use that can also solo would be some DPS or crowd control. If you want to make an easy DPS class be a wizard or if you want crowd control be an enchanter. They are easy classes to start out on since you don't need gear.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Skeleton

that list is GREAT! I will for sure use it lots, thank you!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Orc

We need more berserkers and beastlords