Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Orc

Have you tried rebooting or checking to see that the game isn't making your processor or video card run too hot?

This started happening to me last week, but I found that my laptop seemed to be overheating... I downloaded speedfan (has built in temperature sensors) and I noticed running EQ was raising the temps in my laptop quite a bit. I have to qualify this by saying that I think the fan inside my laptop may have died recently because it's been running hot in general, but games seem to push it past it's limit lately.

I got a regular housefan and pointed it directly at the hot part of my laptop where the fan is, the temps went down, and EQ stopped shutting down on me for a few days... until last night when EQ crashed three times in a half hour... no errors, just shutdown. After the third time I rebooted my laptop and did not have anymore crashes over the course of the next few hours.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

I've been having this issue as well. Crashes about once every 5ish hours of game time. Has definite potential to be deadly, but I haven't died from it yet - haven't been playing that long. It usually happens when I'm doing something, not just medding, so I'll see if I can log it as well.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Planar Protector

OK, so it keeps happening - how do I log it to see if I'm getting this string error?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Large Bat

Simply type the following:

/log

This will start a running log file that is located in your EQ/Logs/ folder. However, you do have to restart it everytime you log in I believe.

On that note, once again, coincidence or no, as soon as I started turning the log on again, my crashes have ceased.. not sure.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Kobold

set affinity to run on one core only when you launch EQ
Old 08-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Planar Protector

Bionicbadger: what do you mean? Are you saying multicore processors cause the crashing? What's affinity?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bionicbadger: what do you mean? Are you saying multicore processors cause the crashing? What's affinity?
It may be. Try this:

change your everquest shortcut to be something like:

cmd.exe /C Start /affinity 1 eqgame.exe patchme

My windows 7 EQ shortcut looks like this:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 F:\Games\EQ\eqgame.exe patchme

it forces the program to only use CPU 1
Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Haven't had any issues since doing your change, badger; I think it might have fixed it. Thanks, man!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Kobold

This just happened to me as well. Ofcourse while I was kiting a number of hill giants. I knew what the outcome would be as soon as it shut down (naked at bind). I am not too comfortable shutting down chips or cores or w/e. Can anyone verify if that works. Better yet, if there is any other solutions ?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threepoint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This just happened to me as well. Ofcourse while I was kiting a number of hill giants. I knew what the outcome would be as soon as it shut down (naked at bind). I am not too comfortable shutting down chips or cores or w/e. Can anyone verify if that works. Better yet, if there is any other solutions ?
You're not "shutting down chips or cores" you are setting the executables process threads to use a single processor rather than 2 or 4 processors.