Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 08-15-2023, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Default Ancient Cyclops (East Karana)

Long considered a rumor, below is some information worth building on to help verify whether there the rumors were true about the AC spawning in EK. Numerous comments have identified one specific mob type (rogue lion) and one or two nameds as being potential placeholders. There are also comments claiming that the AC was either removed from the zone or that its spawn rate was reduced, the latter seems more likely (assuming it ever spawned in EK) as other commenters indicated that it spawned for them further along in EverQuest's timeline. AFAIK the AC has never spawned in EK on project1999.

The first entry that lists the Ancient Cyclops as being a notable NPC in the zone...

https://web.archive.org/web/20001109...ernkarana.html

15:32:00 Nov 09, 2000

Quote:
EASTERN PLAINS OF KARANA
Quote:
Notable NPC's: Ancient Cyclops, Broon, Proon, Droon, Chief SaNre'Rexxa, Tallus Holton, Sir Morgan, Grennix Mucktail, Vexven Mucktail, Emhu Mucktail, Splintered Claw, Jairn, Tarbul Earthstrider

https://web.archive.org/web/20010426...98518475485893

04:00:41 Apr 26, 2001

Quote:
70 creature(s) found in Eastern Karana
Quote:
Picture Included Aagron 35 - 35 Monster
Picture Included An Evil Eye 17 - 21 Monster
Picture Included An Evil Eye Pet 15 - 16 Summoned
Picture Included An Undead Reaver 15 - 17 Undead
Picture Included Ancient Cyclops 35 - 40 Monster

https://web.archive.org/web/20010424....shtml?id=3452

Quote:
Ancient Cyclops
Monster
Picture of Ancient CyclopsThe ancient cyclops varries widely in level range, with the Ocean of Tears variety being much higher than the South Ro variety.

His ring is widely sought after by both casters who just plain like it, and everyone else who needs it for the Journeymans boots quest.

The Ancient Cyclops in South Ro can be found (on very rare occasion) in the desert portion of the zone. There is no known placeholder for the cyclops as he has been known to appear in different areas of the desert.

Pic By: Urgle
Minimum Level: 35 Maximum Level:40
Known Loot:
Ring of the Ancients
Known Habitats:
Eastern Karana

Ocean of Tears
Southern Desert of Ro
Quests:
Journeyman's Boots

https://web.archive.org/web/20030318...s.asp?Guide=30

Quote:
NEW ANCIENT CYCLOPS SPAWN - by Aabumen on 11/1/00

Since a patch or two ago, the Ancient Cyclops has been spawning in East Karana, on the Bristlebane server at least. He has a few placeholders: a few rogue lions and a named Cyclops. The cyclops was level 48 when I last saw him. Easy enough to fear but tons of hit points, like all his level.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020703...ID=11919.topic

Quote:
Blue butt monkey
not a butt monkey
(6/13/02 2:05:46 pm)
Reply Re: Question on Jboots
RL friend got his ring from the Karanas. You'd prolly need a druid/ranger/bard to track the giant considering these zones are so big...
-Grosam Grisslegut Troll SK, Brell Serilis server, Eternal n00b
Quote:
Master Liuu Kang
You have fallen to the
ground
(6/13/02 4:35:37 pm)
No its not the undead cyclop, the friend that MQ'ed the ring with me got it in the karanas... but I dont remember which, sorry.
Liuu Kree's Gear
Quote:
Twiggie Tymberwolf
Board Administrator
(6/14/02 1:04:06 am)
I have looted it from an AC in East Karana. About 2 years ago now, right when they added the epics is when it was. There was a bug that made the AC spawn when you killed either the named HG or "A rogue lion". A few guilds on other servers found out and farmed him before it got nerfed. Haven't seen nor heard of the AC spawning in EK since then, but I guess he might still spawn there, not many hunt the HGs there so its possible.
Jaradis Stormcaller – Oracle of Winter - Enemy to all of Velious
Jaradin Stormcaller - Warlord in Training - Ally of Kael Drakkel
Twiggie Tymberwolf - 52nd Wanderer - Friend to Dragon and Dwarves
Brell Serilis Server
Stats and Gear

https://web.archive.org/web/20030524...picID=13.topic

Quote:
sobasic
Sugar Daddy
(9/10/02 9:07:55 am)
Reply EAST KARANA PLAINS
Nice zone for lvl 35 to 45 players. You can farm Spider Silks here in a good supply, but is very competive with other players. Hill Giants for High Level players. Cyclops for the 38 to 42 bunch. Lots of wolves, snakes and lions for the 30 to 40 bunch. Lions and wolves drop all kinds, ruined, LQ, MQ and HQ, of pelts for farming. Griffawns for level 35 to 40s. AND the most RARE of all, the ANCIENT CYCLOPS, drops GOLD RING for Journeyman Boots Quest.
Sobasik Desmoosher
Dwarf Paladin

I'm a Paladin. On steel feet I run.
I am BRANDED, BRANDED for life.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030714...icID=589.topic

Quote:
Mezlo the Mage
Elementalist
(3/5/01 3:46 pm)
Reply Re: Ancient Cyclopse tactics
I have seen and help kill the AC in east karana. So he does spawn there or did in November 2000. I also have hunted a lot in EK. I love the zone 15 - 25. Now admitly I do not hunt the hill giants or the cyclops but I have only seen the AC there once.

Maybe I should go hunt hill giants there when I get 44. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Good luck and tell us what you find out.
Mezlo, Mage of 42 Seasons, Drinal
Quote:
(3/6/01 4:21 pm)
The Scoop on EK, AC and phs
The PH for the AC in EK is 'a rogue lion' once the lion is dead about 1 minute after either another rogue lion will pop or Tarbul Earthstrider (in this case come in 6 hours unless you have 3 or more lvl 50+ friends )or the AC. All these pop in the HG area on the hill to the left when coming off the ramp from HH.
G'luck and good hunting [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P.S. AC seems to be around a 1 in 7 chance to pop.
Slugga da basher of Brell Dorf taste tester for Rallos Zeky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Lorendel Daywalker
Elementalist
(3/9/01 12:03 am)
Re: The Scoop on EK, AC and phs
I got my ring in EK while we were after Tarbul for the Rain of Karana, but that was months ago... The AC no longer spawns in EK (unless it got put back in the last patch), now a human named ! spawns instead... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Lorendel Daywalker
52nd Elementalist of the Mithril Heart Brigade
The Tribunal

https://web.archive.org/web/20030521....topic&index=4

Quote:
Mocean
Magician
(8/23/02 10:22:12 pm)
Reply Re: *sigh* ancient cyclop ring ninja
I saw it spawn in EK, I was running along the base of Craig hill and saw a cyclops. I targetted him and it was the AC! I asked the zone about it but nobody believed me. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I wasn't big enough to take him at the time, only 25 or so. Eventually a level 55 necro killed him and looted the ring. I was informed that it was a bug that he spawned in EK.

Anyway.. I'm sorry you go it ninja'd from you, that camp is so awful. Personally I like to do AC in Sro, though the KS factor is higher, I also get silk from the spiders and the occasional SG or Terrorantula. Best of luck to you.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010519...how&BID=225917

Quote:
Submited by: Anon On: 11/24/2000 10:38:47 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
The Ancient Cyclops spawn in east karana has been removed. Mainly because of massive farming. A group of guild members and I got him on an almost completely reliable spawn time and got 6 rings in around 2.5 hours. Tarbul and a rogue lion were the PHs. Tarbul is still there only for the quest.
Quote:
Submited by: Forel On: 10/11/2000 8:18:26 AM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
It is rumored that the AC and a named lion are placeholders for Tarbul Earthstrider. Tarbul is part of an FA quest for mages. Kill to others and the AC should spawn.
Quote:
Submited by: Iceman103 On: 10/30/2000 8:18:15 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
I would like to say, i heard rumors to kill the Earthstrider to make the ac spawn.
We killed about 10 of them and the ac spawned, but somone else got it.
Any
other ideas?
Quote:
Submited by: Menan On: 9/27/2000 8:21:32 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
The 2 times when i got him the other night i picked him up on track, he was just wandering around the hill with the crag spiders near the 2 farms. At the time there werent a lot of people in the zone and all i was killing was crags so i have no idea what makes him spawn unless its just completely random

https://web.archive.org/web/20011102...ML/003954.html

Quote:
RSB
Zombie posted 09-16-2001 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RSB Edit/Delete Message
The AC has been a rare spawn in EK for over a year. I've seen the AC there as rescently as 4 months ago and the first time I've seen him was probably year and half ago or more. Definately not a place to camp him but he does still spawn there, abet rarely, still.
I've spend alot of time in the game just bumbing around doing stupid stuff. My estimation the EK AC is a bit more rare than Tiny.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/...aranas.257165/

Quote:
Brontus
EQ Player Activist

HoodenShuklak said: ↑
“I'm not at liberty to discuss why this is patently false, unfortunately.”
You want to be an obtuse forum warrior? Go ahead. But here are the facts.

The quest text from Hasten Boostrutter clearly refers to the "plains. as to where the Ancient Cyclops can be found. " When this quest was created there were only 4 zones with the word "plains" in them. Here are the official names of these zones:
Northern Plains of Karana
Eastern Plains of Karana
Southern Plains of Karana
Western Plains of Karana
I personally saw the Ancient Cyclops in East Karana with a generic human graphic after the quest was created. There can be no doubt that the SOE devs intended for the AC to be spawning in the Karanas.
Your move.
Brontus, Apr 16, 2019#9
Quote:
A long time ago the AC did spawn in East Karana. "a rogue lion" was his PH and is still there today, but the AC no longer spawns.

Why they didn't update Hasten's knowledge of him, who knows. South Ro and OOT are the only two spots now.
Imukai, Apr 17, 2019#13

https://web.archive.org/web/20000407...ots/jboots.htm

Quote:
You say, 'Hail Hasten Bootstrutter'
Hasten Bootstrutter says 'Stopped I have done. Greet you I will. What business do we have? Hmm? Speak up!!

You say, 'What journeyman's boots'
Hasten Bootstrutter says 'Jorneyman's Boots are what you seek? Ha!! I have those upon my feet and disinigrate will they if my life is taken. Extra pair have I and [rare trade] can we make.

You say, 'What rare trade'
Hasten Bootstrutter says 'I call for three things and Journeyman Boots are yours. I call for a [Shadowed Rapier], call for the [Ring of the Ancients] and call for Gold,.. 3250 Gold Coins!! This the trade that I call.

You say, 'What shadowed rapier'
Hasten Bootstrutter says 'Shadowed Men, foes to all, have appeared. Many lands do they walk. Invisible are they, but items they wield can be seen. Seek them out and return to me a Shadowed Rapier. Return it with haste before 'poof' goes the rapier!! No time to camp have you.

You say, 'What ring of the ancients'
Hasten Bootstrutter says 'Ancient Cyclops do march the land. Long have they lived and crafted the Ring of the Ancients have they. I must have one and you shall go and fetch one for me. Seek the lands of the oldest Cyclops clans. Seek the plains, seek the island in tears and seek the dunes for there is one who is last. His clan was blown from the sands.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/...karana.285327/

Quote:
Evurkvest
Augur
Spawned in East Karana for sure but was taken out. Possible around 2000/2001, not sure. Perhaps its in some old patch message. I wonder why they removed the AC from EK?
Evurkvest, Sep 10, 2022#9
Quote:
Hegsheoshed
Augur
Evurkvest said: ↑
“Spawned in East Karana for sure but was taken out. Possible around 2000/2001, not sure. Perhaps its in some old patch message. I wonder why they removed the AC from EK?”
The AC was removed from the spawn table in East Karana because some people had figured out it's placeholder and were farming it. This came about from people doing the magician 1.0. There are some gaps in the patch messages from 1999 to 2001. Odd little emergency patches.
Hegsheoshed, Sep 11, 2022#11

https://web.archive.org/web/20010716...er.asp?Id=3829

Quote:
STUFF THAT EVERYBODY KNOWS, By Tukka (1/28/2001)

The ancient cyclops is actually found in several zones. South Ro and the Ocean of Tears are the two 'main' ones. I'm also told that he spawns in the Karanas as well, though the Karanas cyclops is very, very rare. The OOT cyclops is strong, ranging in level from 42-45 or so, apparently. The South Ro cyclops is considerably weaker, ranging from 29-33 or so. There are many theories and rumors about how to get the South Ro cyclops to spawn (it seems like everybody has 'got the cyclops to spawn '6 times in 5 hours' before, but for some reason their techniques never work when I'm around or try them myself,) though the OOT cyclops is a straight forward spawn with a single placeholder. Also, the ring of the ancients (the most difficult to obtain item needed for the Journeyman's Boots quest) is not a 'very rare' drop, but is, rather, VERY COMMON drop off ANY ancient cyclops (most people will say that the drop is 100%, although I have heard a couple say that they killed the cyclops before and got no ring... who knows. Chances are, if you are lucky enough to kill an ancient cyclops, you'll get a ring.)