Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Sarnak

Default What does it take to make a pvp server?

Good things take time and i am just making assumptions here so dont go crazy

I think rogean and null have been working on Red pvp server for for a while, niblog maybe too, not sure if hes still mia.

Id assume that the pvp server would just get a copy of the pve code(npc and loot table and such)

I saw in irc a while back null was trying to hammer out a spell resist system and talked about melee and ac system for pvp.

So essentially the pve aspect is already done so really only thing that needs to be done is getting the spell resist,melee, and ac? What else am i missing?

If it was a new server like K and B that just use old emu stock and have to go in and change all the npc and loot and stuff that isnt right and just work from scratch i could see it taking a long time to get a legit classic pvp server. Red99 seems to be at an advantage since i would assume they would just be using the coveted p99 database and just have to fix the pvp aspects which is resist, melee and ac? is there more?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

It takes cooperation between the developers and the players, and keeping the players up to date on whats happening. A good pvp server has flexibility in removing classic exploits so things like charm and fear don't work against players in PVP. Spell resists are probably the most important factor to test in a PVP server as well as melee damage. A slightly higher exp rate is desirable, I'd say a 20% boost over p99 would be a good idea. Making sure it's 'cheat proof' is a good idea, but probably never going to be perfect. The big thing is to build rapport with the community beforehand so there is good communication between what the developers and players want.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Sarnak

Didnt think about anti hacks, i dont know if its possible. I saw Rogean make a comment about making something to prevent hacks on red99. On vztz there were measures to reduce hacks but I think all it really did is prevent the novice hackers who just DL MQ and play. The people who have more knowledge of hacks and creating them i think were able to get around them.

Selfishly i would like to hear updates about red99 but i dont think its really needed, it does help to keep the excitement and to establish a bigger potential population
Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A slightly higher exp rate is desirable, I'd say a 2000% boost over p99 would be a good idea.
fixt.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
What does it take to make a pvp server?
Intelligence + money + masochistic tendencies.

edit: + time. More time than you will ever have if you work a normal job or have a girlfriend.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

I don't know what P1999 has, but exp rate is usually structured the same way in every MMORPG for a reason. You start fast and finish slow. Hooks the players and then keeps them around for a while.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

XP should be faster on a beta test, then an instant 50/full gear beta. I see the beta needing to go on for quite some damn time. As long as fixes steadily roll through it, people will be happy knowing that "it's only a Beta".

That said, do not release anything that is a complete mess (even a beta imo), people will turn up their nose and run.

Release something classic, not "balanced" with welcomed "balance suggestions". This isn't WoW [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Kobold

You need VERY fast XP to max so players have the ability to quickly move through the bottom feeder griefers and trainers that will inevitably exist.

Most of the content focus should be on linking zones strategically from major cities to desired gear upgrades. Most of the pvp servers I've enjoyed had some form of reward for player kills whether it be a point system or bag loot, whatever.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Banned

If it's high pop, I'll play it or whatever but... I dunno about custom stuff. That's not what I think most people are looking for with this.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Aviak

All you need is GM's and Dev's that work with and listen to the community. Once that relationship is built then players will put up with a lot of shit (grinding, farming, bugs, etc).
Closed Thread