Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-22-2023, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rule of thumb estimations are exactly that. If you build a house like that it will be a bit janky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] .

It likely also depends on the class. Some such as knights have less attack than rangers/warriors/monks. 100 attack (I’m assuming strength is already capped) in theory should do more for them than the others. Still, a 10-15% spread feels right. I’ve parsed a lot with my non-primal Pally next to another with similar gear and they are frequently about that much higher. The ranger is more wonky due to getting bow crits; on a short fight a few 400dmg hits with the BFG certainly pushes up the average. In my one test though I’m certainly a believer.

If you think about it, 5-10% is a solid upgrade especially if you’re 60. Most ToV upgrades going from near BiS to BiS is about that. For a ranger it’s like Kflame to Baton of Flame. For a SK going from a Reaver to a Rocksmasher is about 13%. An Eyepatch of Plunder is 20% haste but at 100% haste it reduces your delay by half; so really it’s about a 10% increase while soloing.

Not to put my thumb on the scale of what you should do (I’m tired of fighting) but this is a slow and relentless math game. NPC’s scale much better than PC’s. Ragefire gloves and turtle belts are silly on paper but it’s important not to get complacent with stats. Carry a bunch of things to swap out, whether it’s mana gear, str-dps gear, and tanking stuff. You can always destroy muffins if you win a /random in a dungeon.
I agree people should improve their characters. In a game about increasing your stats via gear, that is one of the fun factors of the game. I like that my Ragefire gloves give me a slight boost to my max damage. Bigger numbers = fun.

However, that doesn't mean a 5% boost to something is always helping you in a noticeable manner, and we need to be mindful of that when giving advise. In a lot of cases it isn't providing a noticeable improvement.

There is no problem with pointing out that 20 STR is probably not going to get you more kills per hour while soloing, due to a large portion of popular camps being restricted by respawn timers. This type of statement isn't telling people to stop getting STR gear. It is telling people the truth about how much benefit they are getting. There is no reason to try and inflate it.

There is also no problem with pointing out that you should be mindful of stat caps. You get no benefit from a stat when it is above 255, so you should be trying to balance your stats as best as possible. Some benefit is better than none. If you are trying to maximize raid DPS for parses, you shouldn't be focusing on STR, because you will almost certainly be capped with buffs alone. You want to focus on getting that Turtle Belt, or the Ragefire Gloves, because they give you a boost above the cap. You want a better ratio weapon, or a better haste item.

There is no problem with telling people what is the min/max strategy. Some people do like min/maxing, even though it may not provide a noticeable benefit in the end. When all the information is available, everybody can make the choice that is right for them.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-22-2023 at 10:21 AM..
Old 08-22-2023, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

You are all wrong as you are forgetting BiS buffs include HoT so troll/iksar regen is irrelevant while FD. This is why erudite is BiS to resist magic stuns while casting FD and resist magic nukes while fd to prevent interrupt. On top of that you get extra mana to cast sense dead to check whether your pull reset and resummoned its pet.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-22-2023, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

go gettum jimjam
Old 08-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

Lol
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-22-2023, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Attack off strength scales quite a bit better at 60. Someone could start a level 1 ogre and level 1 dark elf and just compare attack when you equip the starter weapon.

At level 60, I recall a knight gets about 1 attack for 1 strength to 255. No stats are “needed” to play this game at a high level but a small SK 40 strength under the cap will do less dps on average than a fatty assuming same weapons. That’s basically innate CoTP.

Given the annoyance of pulling with less than an instant FD I’d prob value FSI over regen. The stats are also way easier to tweak for a casual player to meet the threshold for capping with shaman buffs (outside deck/agil). I do like trolls more looks-wise and the regen can be handy. Definitely for like farming greens. There might be a point where the 40 less intel will be annoying when soling stuff but we are mainly talking stunt kills for the sub 1% of players. I expect these people could do the same with any race, tbh. Especially with willsappers, primal, etc.

Like you said, YMMV. I’m pushing an erudite up simply for less xp penalty and no shrink pots needed in HK. I’ll hit 60 and prob not do more than thurg plate MQ’s. Wish she could use a Frostreaver tho…
I think troll is the better move overall for sk. With 3 different fds at 60 it’s really hard to die, FSI isn’t what it used to be before when all bashes were stuns. Sks just struggle so much with downtime that regen feels invaluable. If I died on my sk it was because fd failed in my 40s/50s and I didn’t have BE greaves or death peace. Also trolls looks infinitely better with fungi than ogres. Troll regen will also pair really well with soul defiler someday if you ever get that.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

DE is best because you don't look like ass, hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DE is best because you don't look like ass, hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:27 PM
Skeleton

Can confirm the BE gaunts are nice to have, legs also, but the boots are near useless. Definitely not a reason to not go iksar. Main reason should probably be the mongo 2h swing animation. Hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Looking for some input

Is Iksar SK worse for end-game solo crawling than other races?
Do the armor clickies account for serious mana saving etc?
Solo'd my Iksar Sk all the way to 60. Blood ember isn't needed and you don't need a raiding guild to get Greenmist. My iskar can solo the same stuff any troll or ogre can with equal gear. I never had mana issues while lvling nor do i have them now while soloing. Just play what you like.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:29 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think troll is the better move overall for sk. With 3 different fds at 60 it’s really hard to die, FSI isn’t what it used to be before when all bashes were stuns. Sks just struggle so much with downtime that regen feels invaluable. If I died on my sk it was because fd failed in my 40s/50s and I didn’t have BE greaves or death peace. Also trolls looks infinitely better with fungi than ogres. Troll regen will also pair really well with soul defiler someday if you ever get that.

If you need 3 FD's up you doing something very very wrong. Iskar is just as good regen wise as a troll with the bonus of not being a big dumb brute who has to beg for shrinks.