Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 08:09 PM
Banned

Well just a final update. Memtest crashed the system and couldn't log. The windows memetest does not give real time results. So.

Uhmm..

LOL! RIP

would be funny if it was one of the onboard caches fucking up!!!
Old 09-28-2021, 08:30 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Man try to turn it off and on again, helped me many times
Old 09-28-2021, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom32451 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Man try to turn it off and on again, helped me many times
This one turns itself on and off again. Repeatedly...
Old 09-29-2021, 10:28 PM
Kobold

Have you made any new ram additions? You could have a dead ram dock or ram stick, had that happen to me before was causing all sorts of memory faults / blue screens until I found the issue.
If this is the case I suggest removing the new added ram and see how that effects your system stability while running some memory checks/tests etc
Old 09-29-2021, 10:36 PM
Planar Protector

R.I.PISSSSS
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 09-30-2021, 02:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well just a final update. Memtest crashed the system and couldn't log. The windows memetest does not give real time results. So.

Uhmm..

LOL! RIP

would be funny if it was one of the onboard caches fucking up!!!
Pull out one of your RAM sticks and rerun the test. Do this until you've swapped out and tested them all. Still failing? Get your psu tested for free at almost any shop (we did this when I worked at compusa but then they've been gone for ages so /shrug). Or, you can buy a psu tester on amazon for $15 - or ask a friend if you can borrow their psu for a night while you loop a test. It doesn't take much of a variance to cause a box to crash.

If it still fails after this - repeat after pulling everything out of the case and running the tests on a bench (piece of cardboard works too) to rule out a short to ground in your case. If it still fails after this - then you look at replacing more expensive stuff.

It's usually one of the cheaper things, fortunately. The plus side is when it isn't you end up with a decent upgrade over what you had.

-Mcoy
Old 09-30-2021, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pull out one of your RAM sticks and rerun the test. Do this until you've swapped out and tested them all. Still failing? Get your psu tested for free at almost any shop (we did this when I worked at compusa but then they've been gone for ages so /shrug). Or, you can buy a psu tester on amazon for $15 - or ask a friend if you can borrow their psu for a night while you loop a test. It doesn't take much of a variance to cause a box to crash.

If it still fails after this - repeat after pulling everything out of the case and running the tests on a bench (piece of cardboard works too) to rule out a short to ground in your case. If it still fails after this - then you look at replacing more expensive stuff.

It's usually one of the cheaper things, fortunately. The plus side is when it isn't you end up with a decent upgrade over what you had.

-Mcoy
Awesome advice. Cooler heads prevail. Imma do this, right now we are remodeling tho. So it'll be lit. Af.

Going for an aquatic spacefaring post industrial replicator feel.

I'll report back in a few weeks!
Old 09-30-2021, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindedsoul [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you made any new ram additions? You could have a dead ram dock or ram stick, had that happen to me before was causing all sorts of memory faults / blue screens until I found the issue.
If this is the case I suggest removing the new added ram and see how that effects your system stability while running some memory checks/tests etc
Naw. It was completely stock.

I had the machine on a dingy 20 year old power strip and not on an APC in a house with 50 year old wiring tho. So I probably killed it.

I'm 1000% gonna follow mcoys advice and swap the ram around and test PSU next. It was a top of the line 850w psu, like supergoldplatinum standard, wouldn't be surprised if that's actually the dead part now.

Really amazing it lasted this long. I'm not quite right bright and learned a ton about computers again this week.

I really really appreciate the good advices even tho I'm a groucho.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
R.I.PISSSSS
Thanks for the condolences. Time to practice necromancy!
Closed Thread