Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 03-24-2023, 09:28 PM
Planar Protector

Default Do your morals carry over into games?

I just finished watching “Outlast” on Netflix, and if you haven’t seen or heard of it, it’s a show based on surviving as a team in the Alaskan wilderness. The team that outlast every other teams gets to split a million dollars.

What’s been sad/interesting is that some of the players have been downright evil, albeit they say it’s all “part of the game”. Other players refuse to do anything that goes against their moral convictions and intend on being fair, honest and upright with their competition.

Are you the same person in the game as you are in real life?
Old 03-24-2023, 09:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no, millions of kids beat hookers to death in grand theft auto for example. i will say that in a multiplayer setting it does change things a bit with it being a real person behind the screen instead of it being a NPC you're doing it to. i did some pretty fucking cruel shit to people while playing eve online that i still think about for example.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just finished watching “Outlast” on Netflix, and if you haven’t seen or heard of it, it’s a show based on surviving as a team in the Alaskan wilderness. The team that outlast every other teams gets to split a million dollars.

What’s been sad/interesting is that some of the players have been downright evil, albeit they say it’s all “part of the game”. Other players refuse to do anything that goes against their moral convictions and intend on being fair, honest and upright with their competition.

That was a messed up show man. The Kentucky / heroin team needs Christ
Old 03-24-2023, 09:34 PM
Planar Protector

in real life im cordial, diplomatic and even empathic

in games, i'm cordial, diplomatic and competitive

in places like p99 forums, i operate with no rules, every single ridiculous thought is fair game

look at how far people have gone to "win" on p99, or even every other game, they hack the shit out of it

that's just a microcosm of what humans will do to win IRL.

there is a concept here which im failing to name, but its like, whatever your enemy will do, you have to do better, so like when your opponent uses dirty tactics to win, you have to play even dirtier because taking the high road only means that you lose.

so each side of the game plays dirtier, and dirtier and dirtier over the years

and that's american politics. nice guys will always finish last.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:41 PM
Planar Protector

Old 03-24-2023, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

I mostly pick evil playthroughs in RPG’s, so yes

As a conservative the only moral highground I can claim is reg abortion which isn’t even seen as a moral highground by the left, and when I virtue signal about it I actually feel physically like throwing up because I have such a sour impression of chest thumping moral highground from seeing the left constantly do it. So when I do it myself I feel physically ill

On every other political stance I am seen as having the moral lowground, so evil playthrough fits IRL. Usually the characters end up more powerful, but your ending usually sucks

For example, the evil ending to one of my favorite snes RPG’s of all time Ogre Battle is a powerful demon you recruit named Galf kills you and takes over lol. Shittiest ending in the game
Old 03-25-2023, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

yeah mine do

although i have experimented being evil

i always find myself gravitating towards paladinhood

truly purely evil characters die an ego death rather quickly once i realize that their actions are pointless 'within the game' and only a reflection of a pathological state of being which is suffering

the real trick is to play a 'good necromancer' or find good ways to justify purging an entire cities inhabitants for experience and loot (the halflings ARE TRULY EVIL (and especially the dwarves))

trust me they are up to no good... also those gnomes built that clock in qeynos! think about it

for example...

And so Mithaniel Marr created the minotaur race, intended to personify honor and courage
https://www.docdroid.net/MQv3Ccv/go?...ciple-of-marr/
-Journal of a Disciple of Marr

what a mindfuk -cypher-the matrix. gif (its been wiped)
Last edited by magnetaress; 03-25-2023 at 10:25 AM..
Old 03-25-2023, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this is frickin cool
Old 03-25-2023, 04:47 PM
Sarnak

This reminds me of those myspace pages where people judge themselves in public
Old 03-25-2023, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe my question was more pointed towards how you would treat actual players in a multiplayer setting rather than NPCs. That being said, the thought of going into a school full of NPC children and gunning them down still seems sadistic. Yes I know they aren’t real, but that doesn’t change the fact that you are willingly doing this for enjoyment.

Back when Kunark was first released on live, I was strolling through the Dreadlands on my halfling Druid, when I came upon a fallen Giant. Upon inspection, I noticed there was a Treeweave tunic on him, so I happily took it. Not 3 minutes had passed and I was on my way, when a panicked shout came across my screen. “Please whoever took the Treeweave please give it back, that was intended for my alt”. I remained silent and kept the tunic for myself. Did I feel guilty about it? Not really. Was it theft? Maybe, hard to say.

Now that i am 22 years older, I probably would have given it back. I just feel like it’s the right thing to do, but back then it wasnt happening.