Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 12-29-2022, 05:53 AM
Large Rat

Default SK's Aggro Spells Not Working

SK's disease cloud is not working since the last patch. It does not draw aggro any longer. Even other aggro spells like shadow vortex does not work as well as before.

I don't think it's an intentional patch to nerf SK, so I reckon it must be a bug. I don't think SK would have any aggro problem in P99's eras. It hit the SK class very, very, very hard. As it stands, SK as a class is no longer viable. I hope it gets attention to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:39 PM
Kobold

Disease Cloud shouldn't generate much aggro either way. It's only 1 disease counter spell. Likely a bug that it was generating alot. Other spells like Shadow Vortex, Darkness etc are HP based. The HP of the Mob determines how much Hate the spell generates. Higher HP mobs generate more hate per cast. The formula should be rougly mob HP/15 up to a cap of 1200 for spells and 400 for procs. Have you tested on high HP mobs. Also there are temporary bonuses for being in Melee range, sitting, low HP aggro etc.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:05 PM
Planar Protector

Not sure if the evidence is needed here, but here's a couple of classic SK's (well, one's a little slightly post-classic) extolling the virtues of Disease Cloud:

Quote:
Originally Posted by March 2000
First off always lead with a good taunt spell (Disease at level 9, Darkness at 15 to give your group mates a few extra seconds to get ready), to make the Mob hate you above all else. Now if you are unlucky enough to pull multiple Mobs, disease them and keep on chopping them down, and using your Life Spike and darkness in-between melee rounds.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010911...EW.ASP?ID=3358

Quote:
Originally Posted by May 2001
Your job in a group is simple, make yourself the single most hated opponent the mob has. Very easy for us, infact we have some spells that help. Disease cloud, level 9 dot, keep it memorized! one cast of this little puppy and a single use of the taunt skill will make you the single most hated enemy a mob has.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010911...EW.ASP?ID=5645

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if the evidence is needed here, but here's a couple of classic SK's (well, one's a little slightly post-classic) extolling the virtues of Disease Cloud:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010911...EW.ASP?ID=3358

https://web.archive.org/web/20010911...EW.ASP?ID=5645
Those posts are bit vague as to what level Disease cloud is still good. I don't doubt that at low levels, Disease cloud should be sufficient for generating enough hate to hold aggro. At high levels though the hate generated should not be able to keep up with other spells. 1 Disease counter spell should not be able to out aggro a 10 poison counter spell like Envenomed bolt or Bane of Nife or a 9 Disease counter spell like Pox of Bertoxxulous.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:39 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those posts are bit vague as to what level Disease cloud is still good. I don't doubt that at low levels, Disease cloud should be sufficient for generating enough hate to hold aggro. At high levels though the hate generated should not be able to keep up with other spells. 1 Disease counter spell should not be able to out aggro a 10 poison counter spell like Envenomed bolt or Bane of Nife or a 9 Disease counter spell like Pox of Bertoxxulous.
Also one of those posts seems to mention a old tired myth about how Disease cloud or how any diseased based dots prevent NPCs from regenerating. This was a misconception at the time from people. This makes me doubt the expertise of these individuals that posted this information given that they had wrong information for this, who knows what else they were wrong about.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:44 AM
Large Rat

One key first principles of Project 1999 is to re-create what Everquest was during those eras. There is no evidence, at least not posted publicly, that disease cloud would not work at end game content from classic to velious era (my SK is 60). If 1 disease counter drew as much aggro as 9 disease counter, it was what it was. It should be respected and re-created. We should not "fix" it.

There are many things that dont seem right, but SK being able to draw aggro reliably and easily is not.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by choice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One key first principles of Project 1999 is to re-create what Everquest was during those eras. There is no evidence, at least not posted publicly, that disease cloud would not work at end game content from classic to velious era (my SK is 60). If 1 disease counter drew as much aggro as 9 disease counter, it was what it was. It should be respected and re-created. We should not "fix" it.

There are many things that dont seem right, but SK being able to draw aggro reliably and easily is not.
There's no evidence that they should work either. Like I said before, It just a 1 counter disease spell. Unlike, the SPAs: Snare, Darkness, Blind, AC debuff, Slows, stuns etc; No idea why they are called SPAs, Disease cloud is just a diease dot. Dots have a flat set hate level from level 1 to 60. They do not scale based off of mob HP, only the SPAs do that. If disease cloud gives maybe 250 hate at level 9? no Idea what the real values is, then level 60 it still only gives 250 hate. Darkness on the other hand should start at 1 hate all the up to 1200 at level 60.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:09 PM
Sarnak

IIRC, DC agro was nerfed pre Luclin. I was maining an SK during that period and much rattling of ICs in scabbards. SK then just started using SV and SoH and all was well (except for Trl and Ogre who have no mana)
Old 12-31-2022, 07:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also one of those posts seems to mention a old tired myth about how Disease cloud or how any diseased based dots prevent NPCs from regenerating. This was a misconception at the time from people. This makes me doubt the expertise of these individuals that posted this information given that they had wrong information for this, who knows what else they were wrong about.
You should always doubt the expertise of random commenters (or guide writers) in classic sources: people misunderstood a lot about the game back then.

At the same time however, the quote speaks for itself:

Quote:
Disease cloud, level 9 dot, keep it memorized! one cast of this little puppy and a single use of the taunt skill will make you the single most hated enemy a mob has. Warriors are likely to be jealous of your superior taunting abilities, you can even outtaunt rangers if you really try. Another good taunt spell is Heart Flutter, which we recieve at 39.
This guy was playing at least to 39 (quite possibly to 60), and for him one cast of Disease Cloud and a single click of taunt held agro. You don't need his expertise, you just need his honesty ... and I could see no reason for a guide writer to lie about something like that.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:52 PM
Planar Protector

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=686

Quote:
RE: Disease Cloud
#Jul 08 2001 at 4:17 PMRating: Decent
__DEL__1592249606794
75 posts
The proc is NOT an AOE it its a single target DOT that does 60 damage over 6 minutes. It is a MAJOR Taunt and not good for a rogue.
Quote:
lol
#Feb 12 2002 at 8:46 PMRating: Default
__DEL__1592757930748
53 posts
disease cloud is one of the best shadowknight TAUNT spells =D. to see a 50+ rogue actually use this (alhtough at lvl 50 i hope to innoruuk that he has better) would give me the chuckles for months =)