Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Sarnak

Default Monk weapon Duo question

I've been duoing a lot 55+ with a shaman or cleric and wanted to know which weapon to use for DPS. I've just been using T-staff only for the DD proc (usually have dex buff)

Items
36% worn haste
epic fists
20% spell haste (captain nalots quickening)

which item would be best for MY DUO
T-Staff
Fist + Scepter of Mastery
Fist + Stave of Shielding
Old 07-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by korilla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Items
36% worn haste
epic fists
20% spell haste (captain nalots quickening)
You have a total of 76% haste: 36% worn haste and 40% spell haste from epic fists. Until I see a parse that says otherwise, I will continue to believe that monk epic fists are just normal spell haste like everything else.

This chart has relatively consistent DPS numbers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwL...JtaGVsanM/edit

It doesn't have Velious weapons, and it assumes that you aren't using a 2HB with the free offhand trick (poke around on the melee forums and you should find a post describing it).

The takeaway: TStaff = 2.5; Epic + SoS = 1.76 + 0.78 * 1.21 = 2.70. Epic + Scepter of Mastery = 1.76 + 0.78 * 1.23 = 2.72. So, Epic + Scepter of Mastery is the best. The chart also indicates that the TStaff procs almost make up for the difference but not quite.

I wrote a Monk guide: Meviin's Monk Mechanics
I wrote a guide on purple links in incoming messages:
Meviin's Macros: Purple Links When Pulling

Meviin - 60 Monk (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Laylot - 21 Necromancer (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Kozev - 12 Enchanter (High Elf) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Old 07-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

They're all pretty close so it doesn't much matter with a Cleric partner. The Stave provides a durability-related buff which stacks with Cleric buffs so it has good utility there; swap it out with the scepter if you really want to min/max. With a Shaman partner use the Tranquil Staff because you'll benefit from the special effect's hate generation, especially when you duo tougher things that resist slow 4 or 5 times or more.

Danth
Old 07-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Planar Protector

Epic Fist + SoM is best straight up DPS. With high dex, it is about 5-6% better than Tstaff for non-autistic players. Difference between SoM and SoS in offhand is about 1/2%. If you are autistic, Tstaff is around 10-26% better (possibly more) depending on your degree of autism.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Banned

Its all pretty close - if you have a T Staff i would use that due to fashion quest even though Epic + SoS/SoM would be a little better
Old 07-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackattack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're duo with a Cleric and they're using Mark of Karn then you definitely want to use empty mainhand. You may even use both empty hands. It's less dps but the healing from two empty fists + MoK is so much that depending on your situation may let you kill more mobs and yield more xp.

As someone else stated, your captain nalots doesn't stack with epic clicky so it's basically just a junk buff for dispel purposes.
I met a monk using eyepatch of plunder and said the haste buff affected flying kick refresh. I'm inclined to believe this since epic haste seems buggy such as ragebringer not affecting backstab refresh.

Anyone else confirm faster flying kick when using buff haste?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackattack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The bug with epic haste is only worn haste items like Ragebringer, Swiftwind, and Tolan's.

I have Eyepatch so I tested this anyway just in case there was some unintended stacking issue, but there is not. Eyepatch does affect the cooldown, but it does not stack with the epic clicky. As it shouldn't.
So wouldn't monk epic also be bugged then even if it is click haste if eyepatch is affecting kick refresh? Sounds like epic haste isn't flash flaggeded properly. So to be clear, you are still getting the 40% buff to your melee weapon even with eyepatch buff and benefiting still from 20% haste on kick?

Sounds like it is worthwhile for soloists.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Planar Protector

I always kind of laugh at these monk weapon threads because I feel monks face this strange anti-choice between many alternatives that are all about the same. My sperglord calculator suggests (with max STR/DEX, which you probably don't have) that the Tranquil Staff is 66 dps, the Fist/SoS is 67, and the Fist/Sceptre is 67.5. Double Wu's Fists of Mastery helps, but the only real way to break out of that tier is with NTOV weapons and a Primal, for example Fist of Nature+Primal Battlehammer is 94 dps. After the October patch, monks should be able to hit 110ish DPS vs Krup Knights or so with either Abashi's or Gharn's/Fist of Nature and a primal.

Although your offense will be about the same, you can tweak your defense a bit with your weapon selection. The Tranquil Staff will reduce your ripostes (like -15% damage when tanking slowed targets) and the Fist/Sceptre combination will generate a lot of attack rounds for Mark of Karn when duo with a Cleric (who should have a MOK clicky) after proccing the Stave of Shielding for the extra buff.

I was able to duo DN rats and Velk's spiders pretty well Monk/Cleric, although it wasn't super fast (adding an enchanter helps massively) and I have a few NTOV items boosting my AC.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I always kind of laugh at these monk weapon threads because I feel monks face this strange anti-choice between many alternatives that are all about the same. My sperglord calculator suggests (with max STR/DEX, which you probably don't have) that the Tranquil Staff is 66 dps, the Fist/SoS is 67, and the Fist/Sceptre is 67.5. Double Wu's Fists of Mastery helps, but the only real way to break out of that tier is with NTOV weapons and a Primal, for example Fist of Nature+Primal Battlehammer is 94 dps. After the October patch, monks should be able to hit 110ish DPS vs Krup Knights or so with either Abashi's or Gharn's/Fist of Nature and a primal.

Although your offense will be about the same, you can tweak your defense a bit with your weapon selection. The Tranquil Staff will reduce your ripostes (like -15% damage when tanking slowed targets) and the Fist/Sceptre combination will generate a lot of attack rounds for Mark of Karn when duo with a Cleric (who should have a MOK clicky) after proccing the Stave of Shielding for the extra buff.

I was able to duo DN rats and Velk's spiders pretty well Monk/Cleric, although it wasn't super fast (adding an enchanter helps massively) and I have a few NTOV items boosting my AC.
A October patch when monks get mh triple atk? Do you recall what the chance of triple atk is?
Old 07-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

I suppose P(triple attack) is P(double attack)^2. ... I suppose!
Closed Thread