Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 02:54 AM
Planar Protector

Edit- in my last post I meant to say I mained a ranger from 2000-2003. It was my first legitimate character and I took it through kunark all the way up until PoP/GoD. I used archer extensively, but prior to luclin only as a tool to help me solo as a class that otherwise struggled without it. The low damage output and longer kill times were only worth it as it allowed me to not have to spend as much down time healing or kill things that I couldn't kill toe to toe.

If you're soloing you're dealing with a rooted or snared and moving target and losing 50% of your bow damage. 25 dps now becomes 12. My point is, if the mob is not moving or rooted your weapons will net more damage production with less wasted time/resources. Outside if trueshot, not really viable or worth it. You do less damage and waste arrows. If you have unlimited arrows via tolans that 80 arrows a minut also means you lose 10 ticks of meditating.

Your parses only reinforce that. You could make the case that it might be worth it in a group IF you need to meditate as you can get in med ticks while shooting - but the contribution to a group would still be more sufficient in most cases by getting stuff dead faster.

Her weapon choices at 55 are also not so great even with the budget stuff. If she has 200 dex (2 proc primary a minute 1 offhand) the spell proc component of her weapons only contributes 4.083 dps assuming 0 resists. On a tight budget, She'd be better off with a cheap, fast jade mace primary at level 55 and a higher ratio offhand. Funds permitting, 2handers are the go-to prior to epic level weaponry.

What haste was she using when meleeing?

Nobody has ever argued it wasn't good for soloing. It allows a melee class to damage an enemy without taking damage themselves. It's not going to help you kill fast, but it will help you kill.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 06-16-2016 at 03:04 AM..
Old 06-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
25 dps is 1500 damage per minute. That's considerable. It's actually double what epic druids do mana free, which happens to be good enough to kill mobs solo. If you halve that for rooting or otherwise soloing, it is what epic druids do mana free, which happens to be good enough to kill mobs solo. The point here is archery a viable alternative for soloing without being extremely geared. Imo, yes it is.

*Tolerable damage output
*Infinitely sustainable w/ Tolan's bracer. 1 min of summoning gets you 80 arrows.
*Can med / cast spells while attacking
*You don't get hit

The melee weapons were flamesong / velium axe. Procing weapons that suit her dex build / budget.
The only problem I see is that even if if it were 25dps with you tanking, then solo it will be half that because you will either root it or it will be moving and the 25dps reflects double damage for non-moving, non-rooted mob, yes? Unless you girls were rooting everything, which I would guess no? That means it is back down to 12.5dps solo :/
Old 06-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Planar Protector

My numbers were showin a bit different....since procs + spells make a difference to archers. All non-trueshot and all against the forager with a fair number of hits to get a better average. And this is just with light casting, throwing in a call of flame here or there.

If you want to spike your DPS, it is easy to burn up a bit more mana while archering.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Ivory; 06-16-2016 at 10:31 AM..
Old 06-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayso [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's what I was thinking. Not sure on the 1/2 damage, but I would think bow kiting DPS would be significantly lower than bow dps in a duo/group/raid situation.

This isn't the "best melee solo dps" thread, though. So I think we're just talking about viability of bow dps and rather I should yell at some ranger I am grouped with for hanging back and shooting arrows as opposed to going melee. Apparently not if they've got even a decent bow. Was a surprise to me. Glad there are some numbers to back up what, up until now, was anecdotal assertion.
The half values is because at 51+ rangers deal double bow damage to stationary targets that are not rooted ^^

The numbers Ivory just posted are very respectable though.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

One thing that really doesn't help this case, though: the higher level the mob or the more AC it has, the less likely you'll ever get a big enough hit to be measurable damage. Of course, that also applies to weaponry at the moment as well. If I'm not mistaken, and I probably am because I just logged in yesterday for the first time in ages, ALL of the offensive upgrades are not in yet for rangers, yes? It tuned them more for melee UNTIL Luclin with the advent of archery-based AAs, which we won't see here.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haste - Worn item (besides Swiftwind) / fleeting quiver haste functioning. This is absolutely huge for soloers.
Is item haste actually applying to bows now?
Old 06-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Fire Giant

primal bow is pretty nice dps... just gonna put it out there i def use it over the windy if im just trying to do dmg