Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Fire Giant

Default Women of Norrath, what's your experience?

I recently got in a discussion with some of my friends about how awful sour grapes antagonizing neckbeards and white-knight neckbeards are in WoW and LoL. Was wondering what sort of things you guys face or if you have any funny/disturbing stories about being female in EQ?
Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Planar Protector

You get free pixels and attention already, isn't that enough for you whores?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Planar Protector

lol
Old 03-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You get free pixels and attention already, isn't that enough for you whores?
Lol, you seriously think women have an easier time in online games?
Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you not think they do?
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I named my character lady
Old 03-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Sarnak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrBoeMF4FYs

watch this and then look at the name of the person who created the video.
and that is their logic.

there are bound to be immature remarks like "omg u r a gurl that plays eq omg so kewl" but these people are the white knights you're referring to and really not that prevalent in p99 honestly... I think... but then again, maybe youre right. might as well milk it for all it's worth.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Sarnak

TLDR Get your big girl pants on and play.

To be honest I haven't really experienced much of a difference this go around in EQ, but when I first started gaming oh 15 odd years ago the difference between the sexes was a lot more defined in games. Girls were treated as if (generally) they couldn't be trusted with important roles, so were often lumped into jobs which wouldn't matter if they weren't done or weren't done correctly. If you weren't lumped into that category, you were tossed into support. Now before I get jumped on when someone inevitable misreads the previous two lines, let me just say not important and support are NOT the same thing , however, most girls were confined to those two roles at least on my server. Myself I played the majority of live as a warrior, and made the mistake of letting folks know I was a girl. Despite my ability I was often passed over for males, because at the time, the leadership role of the warrior was very much a male dominated class.

As a social experiment, I rerolled as a male character, also a tank, and was immediately treated with a higher level of respect than my female toon. I was complimented often on my abilities, I was asked to tank raid mobs by pugs rather than being looked over as I was on my well known RL female toon, I was given important roles in raids whereas my other toon was never given that opportunity. At the time, as I said 15 years ago, the roles were very clearly defined.

That's not to say that there weren't perks to being female. If you screwed up it was attributed to you essentially being a girl and not that you just plain fucked up, gear was handed out more readily even my complete strangers, and overall folks had a nicer attitude towards you. I was personally one of those players that rejected being handed anything, I wanted to earn what I had on my own, and was very much against hand outs, so I had less experience in free loots part of being a girl.

Fast forward to WoW and the roles definitely began to become less defined, we now see streams of girls competing amazingly well in PvP, battle of the sexes raid races where females outperform males, female raid leaders are more common as well as guild leaders. However some of the same obstacles are still there, it's harder to be recognized for talent as a female in a raid force, even if the damage meters or skill recaps prove you to be out-dpsing or out performing your male counterparts and more important roles are often handed out to men. Some top guilds even shy away from guilding females, and I hate to admit it but often rightly so. A large portion of girls, you know the ones...(tee hee, ewhoreing, flirty, etc.) cause a lot of drama in a guild. Lord knows even as a woman I'm guilty of sexism when it came to hiring on new recruits when I ran a raid guild back in WoW. Often when I attempted to coach girls on how to become better at their class I was greeted with the "I'm a perfect unique little snowflake" syndrome (I don't want to use a gun because I just like how my bow looks...was one reason I was actually given by a girl player). Those of us who played WoW especially on the high end know that there is little room for customization at the high end, it's very cookie cutter in terms of build and gear, and I ran into these problems often while dealing with girls. Also the potential for drama is greater, as ewhoring at some point rears it's ugly head in any guild and you end up with gquits, animosity and even gkicks to resolve the situation after it inevitably blows up. These are a few of the issues even now which girl gamers seem to still have issues with in terms of bettering their reputation in games as a whole.

I feel girls need to pick their battles, you won't find me on the "omg string bikini I'm so offended" bandwagon. We're playing high fantasy games and like it or not much of the classic fantasy art we see depicts women in these kind of outfits, to be fair you don't see guys crying because He-Man's outfit and build somehow damages their self esteem. Lots of girls will (and have) jump me for this, but if I am playing a game my toon better have an amazing body and awesome armor (or lack thereof), it's aesthetically pleasing to me, as well as the majority of folks who play.

When it comes to the "white knights" who cry sexism on behalf of girls, I'm going to give you a bit of advice, You look like an idiot. We're big girls, if there's an issue we'll fight our own battles, you just look like you're trying to get into someone's pants and truth be told to those girls who are impressed by your valor you've just got tossed in the friends category. You're doing women a disservice by fighting their battles.

Like I said in the TLDR portion at the beginning of this post, put your big girl pants on and play if you're going to play, don't hide behind being a girl to get free loot or make up for your fuck ups, own them, improve, and become an asset to the game. Only when we all start doing that will we make true progress in the world of gaming, as many of us have been doing for years.

PS Cospay doesn't equal consent is fucking stupid, if you don't want someone to hit on you don't dress like a fucking whore. If it was some hot guy and not some comicon nerd coming up to flirt with you, you wouldn't have a problem with it, so cut the bullshit and dress as Samus if you don't want to get hit on (and not zero suit Samus..)

Let the perfect little snowflake girl flames begin~
Old 03-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Planar Protector

Stop shaving your armpits and shut the fuck up. Happy?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajkuhuun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As a social experiment, I rerolled as a male character, also a tank, and was immediately treated with a higher level of respect than my female toon. I was complimented often on my abilities, I was asked to tank raid mobs by pugs rather than being looked over as I was on my well known RL female toon, I was given important roles in raids whereas my other toon was never given that opportunity.
I'm sure the fact that you were playing a tank for the second time through had absolutely no impact on this.
Closed Thread