Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Favorite starting area?
EverFrost 16 6.81%
Qeynos Hills 39 16.60%
Misty Thicket 17 7.23%
Commonlands 21 8.94%
Nektulos Forest 8 3.40%
Innothule 9 3.83%
Feerrott 2 0.85%
ButcherBlock 15 6.38%
Greater Faydark 61 25.96%
SteamFont 15 6.38%
Toxulia Forest 2 0.85%
Kunark zones 30 12.77%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Planar Protector

Question Your favorite newbie area?

What is your favorite newbie area for starting up from level 1 to say lev 10/15?
Whenever its good XP, good chance at grouping, good newbie loot or nostalgic affinity for specific area - take your pick!
(I did not list typical newbie dungeons like BlackBurrow or CrushBone, since they sort naturally follow some of the areas listed in the poll)

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Orc

Field of Bone is hands-down the best.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

Love Butcherblock, maybe because my first character was a dwarf. Always enjoy stopping by there for a few levels on my new characters.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

Field of bone for sure.

All the others who are selecting kunark zones got it right.

For the Empire!

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 AM
Orc

Innothule Swamp forges the very strongest newbies.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:47 AM
Kobold

FoB is awesome, just which trooper tear was a bit quicker killing marauders [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Planar Protector

Playing a Barbarian in 1999 is one of the most immersive experiences you could ask for. Everfrost is completely terrifying - it's a maze with close quarters for the most part + trains are very frequent + higher level undead wander the lowest level areas + you don't have night vision here as a Barbarian. Working as a team with fellow players was super important.

Everfrost is massive too. When you eventually level up some and find your way out of the frozen mountain maze and out into the expansive tundra, it's just an amazing sight and feeling. I played a Shaman back then, so it was at Level 5 that I was already fighting out in the Tundra against wayyyy higher level monsters. Teams of Level 7/8 Warriors would take me because you gotta have one healer and it didn't really matter what level you are. A lot of Shaman didn't realize back then that Inner Fire was actually a very efficient heal, so I was able to do great work. Of course I also didn't learn Meditate from the skill trainer until I was level 8...haha. After I figured that out it was such a huge power rush.

----

I'll also always love Steamfont. It's a very, very unique zone and you can easily get into your teens there. The kobold camp nearest to the city was HOTLY contested back in the day...it was the only one near the city (way later they added a bunch more kobold camps in that area and those camps are still here on p1999...and while they shouldn't be, it's a good idea to have at least one more there). I have fond memories of playing there with my Gnome Magician and learning how to hold down that whole kobold camp down by myself with a Water pet, during one of the rare times I had it to myself.

----

Butcherblock is pretty amazing too. Tons of content and the maze-like setup gives you a lot of adventures. It's probably the overall "best" newbie zone in terms of being able to make cash and having plenty of content to support a lot of players. I also really like Misty Thicket a lot; it has a cool setup and its a GREAT starter area. Greater Faydark is obviously a definitive Everquest zone as well, and I'll always appreciate it a ton, although it's a bit lacking in terms of actual content if you take out Kelethin from the equation.

I'd say the worst newbie areas are Nektulos Forest and Toxxulia Forest. Nektulos actually has a well-designed atmosphere, but it just doesn't have enough content. It's not enough to a support a significant lower-level playerbase. Toxxulia is simply shit.

Overall ranking, a mixture between how memorable and how "good" (but mostly the former):

01. Everfrost
02. Butcherblock
03. Steamfont
04. Greater Faydark
05. Misty Thicket
06. Commonlands
07. Qeynos Hills
08. Feerrott
09. Innothule Swamp
10. Nektulos Forest
11. Toxxulia Forest

I never played an Iksar, so I can't really comment on those newbie areas. They seem to have been well designed from everything I hear, though.
Last edited by Zuranthium; 08-20-2013 at 02:15 AM..
Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Banned

Tox is gamebreakingly bad until you can just use it to get level 4 than go to the warrens. It just lacks any content to get you past 6 easily.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlvlzero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tox is gamebreakingly bad until you can just use it to get level 4 than go to the warrens. It just lacks any content to get you past 6 easily.
You can get to Level 8 doing the Kobold camps. Those are down next to the evil starting area, though. Any people starting out as good-aligned Erudites must have had an absolutely awful time. Actually, I doubt the evil-aligned players felt any better since it was hard for them to even get off the damn continent! The zone is obviously supposed to be pretty "dead" thematically, but it really was too shitty.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Sarnak

Steamfont. You can get damn near lvl 20 in that zone and fast too.
Closed Thread