Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
If it's not okay for women to suck at games, we have a problem.
I should make myself a little clearer, if they want a spot in my raid they can't suck. On the casual level it doesn't really matter, but if someone feels they deserve a spot in a raid above other folks, they need to be able to compete.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:40 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You sound like something of a perfectionist!

Ajk re rolled from hunter to warlock during Burning Crusade just because she felt bad whenever she was a dps that didn't top charts. If you're not first, you're last!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:43 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naena [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ajk re rolled from hunter to warlock during Burning Crusade just because she felt bad whenever she was a dps that didn't top charts. If you're not first, you're last!
God damnit Naena >.< Aren't you meant to be like, working at work?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:46 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I am working, very hard!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naena [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am working, very hard!
...playing forumquest is hard work :P
Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I know, especially with all these NSFW sigs and avatars around.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:21 AM
Sarnak

girls don't play eq
Old 03-17-2014, 02:29 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
girls don't play eq
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-17-2014, 02:51 AM
Sarnak

I ran a moderately successful Rift guild for a year and a half and we did a lot of raiding. Teaching people how to play the game properly in a raid setting was one of my jobs as a guild leader, and although we had a class officer for every other class I was also the cleric class lead. Regardless of the sex of the person playing, the hardest to teach were older people. For some reason Rift attracted a lot of people in their upper 50's and early 60's and they were for the most part okay players but some had a lot of trouble playing the game as it is intended. One even had a bot program that mostly played his character for him, but because there were a lot of mechanics you couldn't have a bot do, he would die a lot, sometimes wiping us. Eventually I asked him not to attend raids anymore.

What I'm getting at is that in all of my time leading successful guilds or being an officer in a successful guild on an MMORPG, I've never had to ask someone not to come to a raid due to general incompetence before him. Gender has not mattered, and thinking back on my own personal experience (which is the worst way to prove anything really) women were at around the same drama level as men.

There's some sense of entitlement no matter what gender you are whenever you decide that you've participated enough to get loot, or to get what you want, man or woman. I have seen both genders bitch about loot, and neither is particularly any more entitled than the other. In my experience women tend to actually instigate sexual drama far less than men. I have had to talk to far more men about their actions towards women in guild chat, raid chat, tells, etc, than I have had women. I do not think it's particularly fair that because someone is a woman that they should instantly be harassed about what they are wearing, how they are playing the game, if they have a boyfriend etc.

In this day and age, being a woman is a little bit easier but on some levels it has gotten more personal. Raiding has changed to where you really need a high level of communication to kill bosses. This means your gender is impossible to hide if you want to compete at high levels and that means you have to expose yourself to harassment by degenerate psychos.

I always felt the all male guilds were pretty insulting to be honest, but, in a culture where men cannot control themselves it is pretty interesting. Those guilds actually admit that they have a problem controlling themselves around women. They realize that some of their most talented members are stalkers and psychopaths and having a woman on a raid gets their head out of the game.

So in my mind I feel it isn't women causing the drama, it's dudes that do not understand that sex should not be a factor when you're playing a game with someone else. It can be nice when you're talking to someone to know who they are, and to know who your audience is for conversations. But I've never understood why people cannot leave it at that, and why they need to bring sex into it.

As far as women being worse or whatever, I think that is an opportunity thing. I had a lot of women do really well in leadership positions. The person that called out mechanics for us was my girlfriend and without her direction the raid would wipe every single time. Anyone else doing it could not communicate well enough, and we had plenty of guys try. If you give someone a chance, it does not matter what their gender is, they will either do or do not.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:35 AM
Planar Protector

I tried watching Hafu stream Hearthstone, and what a shitty fucking experience that was. Not only was she being fucking awful at the game, she was screaming dumb shit at her chat and listening to the worst electropop garbage music I've ever heard.

If she was a man she'd be completely unknown because fuck watching that.