Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Sarnak

In my opinion, there are 2 things that made EQ great.

1. Interdependence. With few exceptions, soloing was just a bad idea. It was always better xp to group and most classes NEED a group. You needed crowd control, healing, pullers, tanks, and utility classes. Because of this, you needed other classes. It wasn't like wow where everyone can fly where they want or rift where you can be any role. You actually had to depend on other players of different classes. You couldn't just take 6 people of any class and succeed. That was great.

2. Genuine risk. Corpse runs won't be in EQN, they've already said that. Corpse runs and xp loss add genuine risk to the game. You actually have to decide whether to attack that mob is worth losing xp and possibly wiping. You don't just run into an unknown area blindly knowing that it'll at worst cost you some money. It is this risk, this fear that make victories so sweet. THAT is where the crack in evercrack comes in.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I know pretty much everyone here hates the graphics, but honestly I like them. I was worried they were going to end up with terrible looking models like EQ2 had, and when they showed off their models I was glad they didn't look that bad. Though I'm probably also one of the few here that actually liked the graphics in WoW.

Yeah it's cartoony, but that will also mean it will age a lot better. Pretty much every game I have ever played that has gone for a realistic look ended up having bad looking player models. I couldn't even play Oblivion until I got mods to make the people not look so ugly.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, my only hope for this game is contested mobs and having many classes that are forced to group. If everybody can solo, everybody will solo and then the game is shit.
ya this is a big concern of mine. I was the MT that "had" to log in or a raid of 40 couldn't play... That sucks... But there is a happy medium. If they make every class soloable no real tanks, supports, healers.... Its going to be a stupid game.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Large Rat

I have no more faith in any new MMO's. The game design has just plain changed to make everything easy. Max level in a few days, all content instanced, everyone has all the best gear and it is easily attainable, UI's that do all the work for you, ADHD kids running around complaining how hard everything is in l33t speak, and then you get a "Gear Score" which is the real world equivalent of a "Credit Score". No thanks, I have no faith in EQ Next personally. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know you're just trolling, but seriously, look up the definition of High Fantasy, and then read LoTR and all the Conan stories, and then any other works that essentially borrow from and extend those universes, and then let's continue this silly conversation. Though I'm really hoping that by then you will understand how far away from the point your arguments are.
You mean all those books that talk about characters doing all of the things I already said... okay.

My argument is that you don't have one (unless you are talking about how the character models look). The combat is completely within "Realistic-ness" of EQ and EQ2 as well as DaoC and nearly any other "OMFG HIGH FANTASY" mmorpg you can think of.

The only reason you guys are making giant cockblowing faces is because of how the graphics look. You are mad cause you have Toontown clowns dancing a jig instead of your "HIGH FANTASY" expectation of McFaggyfaggerton Elf Commander Nightwatchman XXXassBlasterXXX

Let's all be real here. You can't have the game you want because kids don't want to look at that shit and parents don't want to buy their kid some MMO that looks to "real life" and there aren't enough uptight asspuckering prune guzzling high fantasy hipster grandpas running around to capitalize off of.

So jump on the gamplay you like and take the good with the bad or just bitch that you don't like looking at a fluffy kitty compared to a starved one.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Orc

Send a message via AIM to Medowin

Everquest Next isn't Everquest. It uses the names of the races and locales but that's about it. The game itself seems more a cross between FF14 and Guild Wars 2.

However, I have no qualms about the graphics style. Sure, it's very different from typical EQ, but different doesn't mean bad. The chicks look hot, the guys look cool, and the monsters look badass. That's well enough for me. Being a purist isn't always necessary.
Last edited by Medowin; 09-06-2013 at 01:40 PM..
Old 09-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

A lot of you guys sound like grumpy old farts talking about how hard you use to have it and you young whippersnappers have it so easy. Getting all bent out of shape that companies didn't continue to make the same game over and over. I want a game so easy that even my wife could play, hard enough that I could be challenged, and casual enough that I don't have to block off hours just to accomplish anything.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Disney is consulting on the project, and allegedly the story arc of the lore of eqnext is basically just Finding Nemo, except with elves. From the upcoming trailer:

"In a world where a great Elven mage has lost his pet, only one thing matters: Finding Jabober."
Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Fire Giant

If I had to bet the farm, I would bet it will probably be a disappointment to most original EQ players, but some of these statements from people are hilarious.

The game isn't completed, no one has played it yet, but everyone know's exactly what it is and won't be.

How about waiting 'till you've played it before passing judgement, eh? Or at least get some real info when it's actually available. Sheesh.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Aviak

The fact that it's being ported to consoles makes me believe it will be easymode just like D3.
Closed Thread