Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 04:20 AM
Planar Protector

For a competent player who isn't also a guild leader/officer, both Everquest and Warcraft have roughly the same raid difficulty: You sit around half bored hoping your guildmates don't screw up. The main difference is in Warcraft you do less sitting around. It could be said Everquest requires more patience while Warcraft requires more attention, but the basic reality of either game's raiding remains a case of jumping through a few hoops while hoping your guildmates don't flub it.

Well, that's the case unless you're one of the folks doing the messing up. At that point I suppose that means one game or the other is hard for you. Difficulty is always relative.

Slightly off-topic, but discounting PvP (which is by nature highly variable in difficulty) I consider tough-but-fair games to be NES/SNES-era games like Battletoads or Super Ghouls N Ghosts. Like many folks here, I grew up through the Pong-Atari-NES-SNES era, and since that time it seems as though video games have spent the last twenty years growing ever easier. Everquest's own popularity stems in no small part from its being the easiest and most forgiving game of its kind when it first came out--contrast it to Ultima Online, where a random person could murder you or sell you poisoned food and take your stuff if he felt like it. Norrath was a safe-haven by comparison.

Danth
Old 12-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
these fights were not hard. long and boring is just long and boring, not difficult.
yogg 0 lights when it was current content not hard?

LOL
Old 12-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeziyo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yogg 0 lights when it was current content not hard?

LOL
Well what was hard about it?
Old 12-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboboo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well what was hard about it?
you had none of the 4 keepers helping you that normally give you mechanics to make the fight much, much easier. if one person doesn't follow the mechanics perfectly they will end up being mind controlled and wipe the raid since you have no way of recovering your sanity levels etc. this is all while you need to be doing damage, managing survival cds, healing and dispelling, etc etc near perfectly as well. this is considering the only available gear is from ulduar and also not trivialized by current xpac balance changes.

it was hard as shit and remained hard into icc because of the mechanics alone. the significantly higher gear only made meeting the berserk timer easier.

http://wow.zuggaming.com/2009/04/21/...trategy-guide/ has a list of mechanics. specifically look at what the keepers bring. this is what you would be lacking during the fight.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfists [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tbh EQ2 > all in terms of skill required for raiding.

EQ is zerg mode.
WoW is raiding-lite.
EQ2 endgame is 110% scripted. Fully populated endgame geared guilds wipe in seconds without correct strats.
eq2 is fucking sad easy. eq2 endgame was cool up to TSO. I raided and played with top tier guilds on PVE and PVP servers.

The only reason EQ2 raids wipe with the best players in the best gear is because thats how they gate content in EQ2, they just make one or two spells hit harder than you can take, or break some mob mechanic so it makes the raid unkillable. They used stats to facilitate content gating all the time, when released it was resists, then it went to critical mitigation, then to crit bonus and crit chance. But raid gear pretty much made every encounter a learn how to jump through the hoops and then face roll it type of encounter, or wait til devs tuned it enough and then as usual the top guilds would kill it and it would get more tuned till most guilds were killing it.

I will say it can be hard, but its not harder than WoW Challenge raids, and I honestly can say that its easier than PoP/TSS/DoDH/OOW era raiding, which in my opinion was the most challenging raids eq had to offer.

I basically HAD to PVP in that game to make it more challenging, the best challenge was doing contested raids while raids were kiling you over them IE avatars.