vote
chat
leave
Old 04-24-2023, 11:01 PM
Sarnak

Act 1 - Quarantine

This is from the open AI website

Quote:
Create a development roadmap for a Text Based MUD written in Python for a single developer with no previous experience

Sure, here's a possible development roadmap for creating a Text-Based MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) using Python for a single developer with no previous experience:

Learn Python basics: Before diving into the MUD development, you'll need to get comfortable with the basics of Python programming. There are plenty of online resources available for learning Python, such as the official Python documentation, tutorials on websites like Codecademy, or online courses on platforms like Coursera or Udemy. Dedicate a few weeks to learning the language, practicing simple coding exercises and getting familiar with Python libraries.

Design the MUD concept: Sketch out the overall concept of your MUD, including the world design, the characters, and the game mechanics. Decide on the theme, setting, and tone of your MUD, and identify the core features that you want to include, such as combat, quests, puzzles, crafting, or social interactions. Consider how players will interact with your game, how they'll progress through the story, and what kind of challenges they'll face.

Plan the architecture: Design the overall architecture of your MUD, including the data structures, the game engine, and the communication protocols. Choose a suitable database to store player data and game state, and decide how you'll manage connections and sessions between players and the server. Plan how you'll implement different game features, such as combat mechanics or item management, and how you'll handle user input and output.

Set up the development environment: Install the necessary tools and libraries to start building your MUD. For example, you'll need a Python IDE, a database engine, a networking library, and possibly a web server. Choose tools that fit your skill level and the scale of your project. You might also want to use version control software, such as Git, to keep track of your code changes.

Create a minimum viable product: Start by building the core functionality of your MUD, such as creating characters, moving around the game world, and interacting with other players. Don't worry about making it perfect or adding all the features at once. Instead, focus on creating a functional prototype that demonstrates the basic mechanics of your game. Test your code thoroughly, and fix any bugs or issues you encounter.

Add game mechanics and content: Once you have a working prototype, start adding more game mechanics and content to make the game more engaging. For example, you might add combat mechanics, items, quests, puzzles, or non-player characters. Keep testing and iterating on your code, and gather feedback from early players to improve the user experience.

Enhance the user interface: While a text-based MUD doesn't have fancy graphics, the user interface can still make a big difference in the player's experience. Consider ways to make the game more immersive and intuitive, such as adding color, sound effects, or descriptive text. Make sure the game is easy to navigate, and provide clear instructions and feedback to players.

Optimize the performance and scalability: As your MUD grows in size and popularity, you'll need to optimize its performance and scalability. Consider ways to reduce server lag, optimize database queries, and handle a large number of concurrent players. Use profiling tools to identify bottlenecks and optimize your code. You might also consider using cloud services to host your game, such as AWS or Azure.

Maintain and update the game: Once your MUD is up and running, you'll need to maintain it and update it regularly. Monitor the game for bugs or glitches, and fix them promptly. Respond to player feedback and suggestions, and consider adding new features or content to keep the game fresh. Regularly backup your database and code, and keep an eye on security risks.

Build a community: Finally, to make your MUD successful, you'll need to build a community of players who enjoy your game and want to keep playing. Create a website or forum where players can discuss the game, share tips and tricks, and report issues. Consider adding social media channels to promote your game and engage with the community. Encourage players to invite their friends and family to join the game, and offer incentives or rewards for loyal players. Building a strong community will help your MUD grow and thrive over time.

Overall, building a text-based MUD is a challenging but rewarding project for a Python developer. By following these steps and taking your time to build a high-quality game, you can create a fun and engaging experience for players, and build a community that loves your game. Remember to be patient, stay organized, and keep learning as you go. Good luck!
please DM me or something if I accidentally dox myself copy/pasting. I'm like, super retarded
Old 04-24-2023, 11:07 PM
Sarnak

If I had to shoot for a bare bones project to set as a focal point for a hobby I'd say:

A forum like this, but skinned as a mapped out as RNG labyrinth where one could etch messages books, walls, objects in the world as an interface to read posts with simultaneous real time chat using EverQuest like channel system.

just you know a MUD. totally doable.. browser game?.. race class avatars
Old 04-24-2023, 11:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
The most basic components of a MUD or MMORPG are:

1. Game engine: This is the core component of your game, responsible for running the game mechanics, managing the game world, and processing user input. The game engine typically runs on the server and communicates with clients over the internet.

2. Server: The server is the physical or virtual machine that runs the game engine and manages player connections. It stores all the game data, such as player characters, items, and game state, and communicates with clients over the internet.

3. Client: The client is the user-facing application that players use to connect to the server and play the game. It handles user input, displays the game world, and communicates with the server over the internet.

4. Database: The database is the system that stores and manages all the game data, such as player characters, items, and game state. It is typically hosted on the server and accessed by the game engine.

5. Networking: The networking component is responsible for managing the communication between clients and the server over the internet. It handles data transfer, connection management, and security.

To create a MUD or MMORPG, you will need to program all these components. The server and game engine are typically written in a server-side programming language like Python, Java, or C++, while the client is often written in a client-side language like JavaScript or Unity.

To build these components, you'll need to learn programming concepts like network programming, database management, user interface design, and game development. You'll also need to understand how to use frameworks and libraries that are specific to your programming language, such as Flask for Python or Unity for game development.

In terms of physical components, you'll need a machine to run your server, which could be a dedicated server or a virtual machine hosted in the cloud. You'll also need a development machine to write and test your code, which could be a desktop or laptop computer.

Overall, building a MUD or MMORPG is a complex project that requires a lot of programming skill and expertise. It's important to start small, focus on the core mechanics of your game, and iterate on your design based on feedback from players. With dedication and hard work, you can create a successful game that players love to play.
Old 04-25-2023, 03:00 AM
Planar Protector

I voted everything except fuck you.

Really excited to see what special attack and what room magnetaress lives in. And what drops. What quest and items etc!

Tbh. I think Aussenseiter should drop hotdogs as a tradeskills component. Unless fireballed. Then cooked "dogs" also a tradeskills component.

Unsunghero should run from zone to zone in a sorta random order flexing his stuff. Maybe occasionally get devoured by dragons.

As for Trexller. Maybe some erudite character.

And Jobaber a snakey serpent who whispers dark secrets about the world in your ear. Sometimes charming the PC and using them to fight and occasionally win battles leaving the PC buffed and with free loot.

Jimjam is a halfling war who sits by a campfire telling of their in-game exploits and is recruitable into the players party. They have a quest to find a ruined blade.

I would make PG a priestess with a faction. If your faction is neutral shell send you on noble quests. If it's good she'll buff and heal you. If it's ally she'll join the party and smite your enemies aswell. If you're threatening she'll constantly cast blind. Root. Fear. Stun. Etc. Or some other crippling curse. If it's scowls she'll pvp u.

I don't know about anyone else right now. I woke up in the middle of the night. Posted this and went back to bed.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:45 AM
Sarnak

Thanks, magnetaress. I love easter eggs. Any little project I accidentally succeed in, I'll do my best to include them. May Aussenseiter's first appearance will be a blind cyclops Oracle who can convert Fahrenheit to Celsius or something.

Thanks and sorry in advance, p99 being the online niche I dug myself into. I'll try to keep your threads clean and keep myself on this island where I can run around and throw my poop in the air
Old 04-25-2023, 08:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinmob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks, magnetaress. I love easter eggs. Any little project I accidentally succeed in, I'll do my best to include them. May Aussenseiter's first appearance will be a blind cyclops Oracle who can convert Fahrenheit to Celsius or something.

Thanks and sorry in advance, p99 being the online niche I dug myself into. I'll try to keep your threads clean and keep myself on this island where I can run around and throw my poop in the air
Lol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-25-2023, 09:43 AM
Banned

I like where you're going with this. Is Patriam gonna be dressed up like the Iron Sheik putting us weaklings in the camel clutch after I accidentally brush up against the golden lamp, or is he gonna be more like Jafar? Whichever route you decide to go, make sure his grip strength puts us puny westerlings to shame.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like where you're going with this. Is Patriam gonna be dressed up like the Iron Sheik putting us weaklings in the camel clutch after I accidentally brush up against the golden lamp, or is he gonna be more like Jafar? Whichever route you decide to go, make sure his grip strength puts us puny westerlings to shame.
camel meatball guy butt with jafar mannerisms
Old 04-25-2023, 09:48 AM
Sarnak

Anyone can be anything and make it work. I'm just here to put on a show over my musings on an old day dream in a thread to channel my thoughts and energy as I pass the time IRL refraining from being goblinmob