Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 04-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Red face Erenshor - a single player EQ tribute

Hey all,

I grew up with crap internet and a love for EQ, so my nostalgia is probably a little unique. I played solo as much as I was able to, because grouping would just lag me out. For my whole life I've dreamt of trying to make a single player, grind-centric, loot based RPG. These days I'm a father of two, and MMORPGs don't fit into my life for other reasons, but I still love the game style.

Well, finally, I have some Unity3D experience under my belt, and I'm a few months into development on Erenshor - a modernized version of EQ, tuned for single player play. The tuning is done in the way of more powerful player characters, AND simulated players who coexist in the world with you. Who will have their own opinions of you, invite you to raids, and get in your way from time to time. (You can turn them off if you've got serious grinding to do on any given day).

Multiplayer is probably out of my skill level as a programmer and developer, but it will always remain a stretch goal if the game becomes popular.

If you want to follow or learn more I'll check in here, but also here's the steam page https://store.steampowered.com/app/2382520/Erenshor/ - Wishlisting it is free and SO helpful.

There's a discord too: https://discord.gg/9SeHHAJbxm - Join up for screenshots, updates, and a chance to be an early tester once the game's a little more developed.

Want more info for less clicks? Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITtAxJlZyc
Last edited by ludovician; 04-17-2023 at 12:04 AM..
Old 04-17-2023, 10:26 AM
Sarnak

Clicked the YouTube link. Looks kinda neat! Hope it's a fun project for you along the way!
Old 04-17-2023, 10:48 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thank you, it's been a blast so far, if not a bit daunting to build out a whole world with lore and all that fun stuff.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Bookmarked!

Happy questing. And Brad blessings.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovician [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you, it's been a blast so far, if not a bit daunting to build out a whole world with lore and all that fun stuff.
You get to be the first to discover it!
Old 04-17-2023, 09:20 PM
Fire Giant

I would love to do this with classic EQ one day.

Especially if p99 loses business one day. I'd want to make a simulation of classic EQ. When I make a new character, it has a chance of making a NPC with the movements of a previous character I've made. Thus, after making a lot of characters, there are plenty of replicas of players playing the game.

If all of regular classic Everquest goes away one day, I hope whoever has the EQ rights wouldn't mind if I made a single player Everquest. As long as I don't sell anything to anyone. I need muh EQ fix, probably even 30-40 years from now, when I'm an old man.

Good idea though. Congrats on making your game.
Old 04-17-2023, 09:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would love to do this with classic EQ one day.
if you got the skills, theres nothing stopping you from doing it now. which would be great while ppl are still interested in playing EQ, so that you'd get it done faster with many other people creating those "paths" for NPCs to follow
Old 04-17-2023, 09:47 PM
Planar Protector

This looks very cool. I miss games where the “normal” enemies were hard to kill. These days most games seem to revolve around a powerful character that can slay hundreds of enemies in seconds. I guess that’s why I really loved classic EverQuest so much - mobs often times were more powerful than me, and it was so rewarding to become powerful.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:45 PM
Sarnak

Hey how bout this? It's a thing called a bungle-bee/ jungle-bee or anything that rhymes with bumblebee. It's a big dumb be with big dumb horns like a big dumb flying goat that rams you and when it's low HP it's stinger goes off like a grenade or a shotgun shell and dies instantly like the bombs from Final Fantasy.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:52 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This looks very cool. I miss games where the “normal” enemies were hard to kill. These days most games seem to revolve around a powerful character that can slay hundreds of enemies in seconds. I guess that’s why I really loved classic EverQuest so much - mobs often times were more powerful than me, and it was so rewarding to become powerful.
100% this.

I remember vividly in EQ having to run monsters out of the fight to root them somewhere else, or having to fear kite things away and hoping they don't come back with 3 friends.

Being genuinely afraid of your opponent is a goal of my game. It's a tough balance to strike since it's single player and some classes are melee and some are casters, so I'm giving all but one of them (the tanky one) forms of CC and lifesteal so they can manage battles in their own way while maintaining that feeling of being on the edge of "oh shit we're fucked!"