Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 04-11-2023, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

It will be interesting if you can break a room by using mem blur to dislodge and return to reset parts of a room. Because the aggro counter is on you. You erase it, the mob does this "lunkhead marching back to post" thing. And, on eq2 at least, it was non-aggroable for a second or two.

This is going to be a clusterfuck. Unless I am misunderstanding what they mean by encounter locking, this makes eq a different game, even in terms of lifestyle issues like trains and such. You never, ever have to worry about a train again.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

Until they give us a server that locks forever at Ykesha or LDoN, no deal.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:07 PM
Banned

straight outta didn’t read
(lol)
Old 04-12-2023, 08:16 PM
Banned

Legitimately the worst idea for a TLP they've had to date. I really struggle to believe anyone that has really thought this through and understands EverQuest thinks this is a good idea. It is so clearly and obviously going to be an absolute dumpster fire.

FTE isn't even a good system on P99 and P99 has staff actively enforcing stuff like stalling rules and rules about what area(s) of the zone you can/can't be in to be eligible for FTE and whatnot. How in the fuck does anyone think its going to be any better on a TLP? With no policing? DBG clearly doesn't have (or isn't willing to dedicate) the employees needed to police server rules on that kind of level. That's literally the entire reason they threw their hands in the air and said "fuck it DPS race everything" cause they didn't have the resources and/or didn't want to police camp disputes and such. Does anyone think this isn't going to just devolve into who has the faster macro to fire some instaclick into the mob on spawn while everyone is literally standing on the spawnpoint? OR a bard with selos (can selos indoors on TLP remember) just tagging shit and kiting it indefinitely?

What's to stop someone from griefing and holding mobs hostage? Non existent GM's? I've already encountered people on TLP's doing stuff like locating the PH for Quillmane in south karana as a bard and whenever they had to go AFK they would pull the PH under the water in the river and bard mez it permanently til they returned. Without 3rd party cheats this would be next to impossible to even detect it was happening. At least on a regular TLP you have the chance to locate the mob and take it. Imagine some dbag having the ability to just perma mez something and keep it encounter locked forever? I would hope they thought of that and won't allow someone to 24/7 encounter lock a mob but I have very little faith in them thinking things through like that. I would be very comfortable making a large wager that this server either A: ditches the encounter lock mechanic before it even launches OR very shortly after. Or B: Is a total and complete shitshow and one of the worst TLP's they've ever put out.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

Well. This is just what we have to deal with. It's either Oakwynd, or Attica.

Points of curiosity regarding the EQ2-server.

"Q: Can members be added mid fight to the group or raid?
A: Yes. The lock is owned by an individual player."

Tremendous power is given to this individual. The power to bless. The power to spite.

"Q: If a player dies while pulling an NPC, can it be locked by someone else immediately or does it need to revert back to its spawn point?
A: If an NPC no longer has anyone on its hatelist and leaves combat, it will unlock in a short time whether it is at its spawn point or not."

Oh, "after a a short time" is it? That's some crackin' good code Jenkins. I'm putting you up for a promotion.

And zoning = dying. That "short period of time" will determine the camp locations. dotting classes will wreck it it, zone, camp of loitering newbs finish it off.

And that # of time will be known. And FTE will rule resetting mobs.

Weird server. I happened to really like eq2 because at the high end it was all open world for the first good while. FTE, but you wiped, too bad for you. People wiped. They could tune the encounters to a tee. Guilds that could assemble fast and not wipe cockblocked the server. Or sold loot rights.

It was a job, I admit it. That phone sound meant, get up or get kicked.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:29 PM
Fire Giant

We had this: it was called lockouts.

It was the best period of p99 raiding so far of all the rule sets.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

That's when I was playing. But then guilds started debating how to cop to a lower or higher tier of lockouts or some such, I seem to remember. I remember no one could agree on who gets lockouts on what.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Anything other than open world + contested spawn is a bit boring. Nostalgia is fun. But god, when anyone can box a group, and those boxes = subs, and subs = money, I do not see how anything interesting happens in this genre unless some billionaire funds it and imposes non-profitable rules.

I hear there is a "Dark Everquest" server, but you get el ban-oed if you mention it, so nm.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:24 AM
Kobold

The locked mob encounters just gave such an empty feeling to the world in eq2, it didnt take long for people to jump ship to wow. Think wow had a 5 day trial and within first few hours, we jumped ship from eq2 and never went back.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The locked mob encounters just gave such an empty feeling to the world in eq2, it didnt take long for people to jump ship to wow. Think wow had a 5 day trial and within first few hours, we jumped ship from eq2 and never went back.
100% agree. Encounter lock was one of the worst things they did in EQ2 imo. Leave it to DBG to be like "Let's bring it back for a TLP!"

Buncha morans