Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 04-06-2023, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Block the site in hosts file
Old 04-06-2023, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thinking of and typing out (ideally complex) arguments on a forum or whatever medium is good for the brain
this guy gets it
Old 04-06-2023, 06:54 PM
Planar Protector

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBardo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I find visiting a lot of sites is a reflexive thing, like you don’t even notice you’re doing it. To help with this you can block IPs on your router to stop you visiting without having to consciously login into the router and unblock it. Hope this helps.
Block IPs on a router so you don’t have to login to router to unblock?

I’m not quite sure what that means, but also how do you login to a router? And how would you know what the right IPs are to block? I’ve never done that but it does sound like a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PG, you don't need to get off the internet, you need to get out of your own head.
Maybe. But how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussenseiter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have your male guardian set up the block and not tell you what he did.
My what lol 😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thinking of and typing out (ideally complex) arguments on a forum or whatever medium is good for the brain

Assuming one doesn’t get too emotionally invested or is otherwise unable to moderate
Hard disagree. Group polarization is a thing; you’re just pushing yourself harder into extremism the more you participate in this nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Block the site in hosts file
This also sounds like a good idea, but what is a hosts file?
Old 04-06-2023, 07:05 PM
Planar Protector

You could just stop posting tho
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 04-06-2023, 07:11 PM
Planar Protector

https://www.howtogeek.com/27350/begi...osts-file/amp/

Cya

Live long and prosper.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Hard disagree. Group polarization is a thing; you’re just pushing yourself harder into extremism the more you participate in this nonsense.
I meant that the brain is like a muscle, and by conceptualizing and framing an argument you are flexing that muscle. By reading sources for an argument you are improving your vocabulary

It is infinitely better for your brain than some mindless activity like watching tv

Polarization is is up to the individual
Old 04-06-2023, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

Talking

Quote:
Polarization is is up to the individual
You may want to flex your brain muscle by reading some about social psychology bc this is 100% wrong 😅
Old 04-06-2023, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You may want to flex your brain muscle by reading some about social psychology bc this is 100% wrong ��
I’ve always said I don’t have as much respect for people who aren’t able to come up with at least a few things they don’t like about their own political party

I have, on many occasions, criticized republican politicians on these boards. I have on many occasions sided with a leftist argument

So, as corny as it sounds, I would suggest to be the change you want to see in the world

The way to fight polarization is to have set of values and stick to those, no matter which side you have to piss off in doing so. Ideally this will cause you to drift towards a middle-ground approach. I think this is a much better thing to do than to run away from social media and forums because they foster polarization, but you do you

Also, I’m not pretending I’m perfect here. Sometimes I like to talk shit. I sometimes relish the times when someone insults me, because my conscience is most ok with me clapping back rather than being the initial instigator. Sometimes I like to be purely sarcastic and shitpost. It depends on my mindset at the time
Old 04-06-2023, 08:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Maybe. But how?
starts with an analysis of things you like that aren't internet connected, or even electrified.

getting out of your head and into your body can be straight forward or metaphorical

like pounding that treadmill until all the stress is gone or meditating yourself into a peaceful trance

you work out, thats a great thing to take care of the body/mind but that's not a secret and you wouldn't have asked if that solved it

we are too young for the tech we have as a species, it's a weird contradiction how so many of us feel the need for our screens to be playing as we fall asleep, but also cannot fall asleep because the screens are playing. we aren't wired for it. The internet isn't the cause of that feeling like "I gotta get offline" its that our brains haven't evolved to deal with the new neural pathways or whatever that nature didn't give us at birth, we are just dazzled by the bright lights and moving pictures not so different than a deer in the headlights

so while leaving all your devices at home and going on a hike to commune with nature is certainly effective, we don't necessarily have to work ourselves into that state.

i dunno maybe think of the internet like a swiftly moving river, its beautiful to watch and it feels great when you get in and swim around but if you don't hold on it's gonna sweep you away, and all you really need to do is step out of the water and have a seat on the bank, where we can still enjoy the river

we're just the first humans in history to deal with such an immersive level of communications, and the way we deal with it is going to set the tone for all of our descendants.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:13 PM
Planar Protector

We should have the government pass a law that regulates how much internet we intake. Then you will be happy.