Just don't dig straight down.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:30 AM
Planar Protector

How old is your house?
Old 04-06-2021, 05:42 AM
Planar Protector

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The bricks
some sheets of thick glass
iron pins?
how wall appeared before excavation
This is a Roman shrine to Mithraic mysteries

Kneel and be happy that Anglo Saxons are one of only four tribes fit to wear the purple
Old 04-06-2021, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

Not much to go on from such a small photograph. From how shallow it is it resembles something like a cistern or a well-built outhouse pit. Those types of things have a tendency to collect junk. There are some other structures it could be depending on how much of it remains covered. Whatever it is it was most likely left in place because getting rid of well-built brick structure is hard, to say nothing if it uses rebar. You'll most likely leave it in place for the same reason, and another person fifty years hence can ask the same question and history may repeat.

Danth
Old 04-06-2021, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not much to go on from such a small photograph. From how shallow it is it resembles something like a cistern or a well-built outhouse pit. Those types of things have a tendency to collect junk. There are some other structures it could be depending on how much of it remains covered. Whatever it is it was most likely left in place because getting rid of well-built brick structure is hard, to say nothing if it uses rebar. You'll most likely leave it in place for the same reason, and another person fifty years hence can ask the same question and history may repeat.

Danth
2cnded. I thought this aswell but decided against posting a ton more because I already have like 20 posts in this thread.

My next guess is a factory that was bombed in ww2 and had like a flooded basement, they just bulldozed it down and put dirt on top probably.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

I doubt it is an outhouse, as the deeds of the property have an outhouse in a leanto on the rear of the building.

It won't be a bomb-damaged factory because it is only 4x4ft, and these kind of city houses in the UK are like 100 years old. @Swish

It's been snowing on and off most the day, so haven't bothered digging more... gonna try to fully excavate the whole 4x4 area so I can try work out how to improve the drainage of the area, if nothing else. Hopefully it won't burst full of old sewage or anything! The water level hasn't really increased from when I bailed it out yesterday. My watering cans are full of nice muddy water now!
Last edited by Jimjam; 04-06-2021 at 01:59 PM..
Old 04-06-2021, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

A secret smuggling tunnel into one of those bricked up rivers?
Old 04-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

I do live half a mile from a fairly major in-land waterway.
Last edited by Jimjam; 04-06-2021 at 02:30 PM..
Old 04-06-2021, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

I just want it to be cool and work out for you! Imagine finding some long forgotten treasure protected in there. Like the Crown Jewelry.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just want it to be cool and work out for you! Imagine finding some long forgotten treasure protected in there. Like the Crown Jewelry.
That would be pretty cool! It does seem to be just backfilled rubble atm though. I'll probably fill it up with plastic skeletons and stuff when I back fill it.
Closed Thread