Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And the reason you don't see many comparisons is because the MMO genre is dying. It's been dead. Nobody wants to take a gamble at it. There are more fertile grounds and genres that have sprung up that are more interesting especially to multiplayer RPGs. With the exception of ESO, very few other companies want to compete in an overly saturated and declining genre.
sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vanguard used the Unreal 2.5 engine but I'm not sure what engine that the models including character models were created in. Character models in that were atrocious though, i believe they weren't even completed entirely until beta came around but it just looked odd and stiff. EQ1's models were overall ok at launch, not the best out there especially when you compare it to other 3d games at the time, but was better than what they originally had planned for the game and were still acceptable enough for 3d models in 1999. Pantheon's models are...yeah they look like shit. For character models too look this stubby and inflexible is just unacceptable in 2018.
Eq blew me away back then. The N64 was still in retail stores.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

SirMuttonChops bringing the voice of reason, one of my all time favorite P99 Everquesters.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Does pantheon only have 2 zones? They’ve made very little progress stream to stream
Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sage.
Eq blew me away back then. The N64 was still in retail stores.
By all means, explain to me why I'm wrong on the MMO genre dying. The entire industry is aware of this.
I was already playing Quake 2 and Unreal. Unreal came out almost an entire year prior to EQ1 and Quake 2 came out in 1997. And in terms of visuals there was nothing that could compete with Unreal's outdoor environments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26I-Pw-yPJ4
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 08-08-2018 at 06:52 PM..
Old 08-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Default /bonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One was the start and the other the finish. The genre died with WoW.
Quote:
By all means, explain to me why I'm wrong on the MMO genre dying.
sage.

Quote:
I was already playing Quake 2 and Unreal. Unreal came out almost an entire year prior to EQ1 and Quake 2 came out in 1997. And in terms of visuals there was nothing that could compete with Unreal's outdoor environments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26I-Pw-yPJ4
Agreed, but that wasn't an MMO. MMO graphics never look all that great because they consider people using potato computers. FPS games often pushed the limits, "but can it play Crysis?" .. or at least FPS games did before some vocal consumers made their opinion heard. Now we have multiplatform, if my $2k PC can play it so can the $300 or whatever Xbox.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

"I have a potato laptop I purchased from a pawn shop. It has a l33t pentium and on board graphics. I want and should be able to run Crysis at max setting and I am VERY upset that I am not allowed to. It is all your fault, fix this NOW.

.. you bonehead PC devs don't get it, this is why consoles are winning!"
Old 08-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does pantheon only have 2 zones? They’ve made very little progress stream to stream
It could be that the changes are more subtle and in the mechanics etc. Those grey buildings haven't been finished in terms of art etc yet, would be interested to see their final form.

As for people not liking the art style, I like it. They're daring to be a bit different with the races and their appearance - if it was just cut and paste humans and elves I think a lot would be complaining of no creativity. Would sooner play a Pantheon gnome at least than an EQ one [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

Default Faaaaabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for people not liking the art style, I like it. They're daring to be a bit different with the races and their appearance - if it was just cut and paste humans and elves I think a lot would be complaining of no creativity. Would sooner play a Pantheon gnome at least than an EQ one [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just because you show up to school wearing weird clothes to be daring and different doesn't make you cool. And yes, complaints of no creativity are common but I think these people are the same ones that consider Transporter 2 to be a good movie.

"But guise, it was awesome when he jumped his car from the 5th floor parking garage, flipped it in mid air, and knocked the bomb off the bottom by bouncing off a wrecking ball. Shit was legit daring and different!"

"Bring back Moon Cats!"
Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Planar Protector

Sorry that you disagree to the point where my opinion can be bent to say what you just typed under the quote.

People want something fresh, but shoot down anything different. Right?
Old 08-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry that you disagree to the point where my opinion can be bent to say what you just typed under the quote.

People want something fresh, but shoot down anything different. Right?
yep