Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Kobold

Default Titanium vrs orginal disc and exp

I have a question. I know you need Titanium to play. I have played before but lost my hard drive a while back and my Titanium disc so I can't reload the game with out spending a crap ton of cash for a new one.

My question is would loading all the expansions that are on Titanium in order from their original disc from day one to the last work the same as installing just Titanium or is there something specific on the Titanium disk that is different?

Has any one tried this?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2016, 03:32 PM
Fire Giant

Pretty sure that won't work. If you have to buy the discs, look for a used copy and re-sell it when you're done? Or check the internet for other options.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Sarnak

Wouldn't work. You essentially need to be on the exact "patch" that was put onto the Titanium CDs.

Every patch on live, they would scramble the "opcodes" that define what each packet does. Anyone analyzing the network traffic between the client and server would basically have to start from scratch to figure out that the packet for auto attack is "b84f" instead of "36a0" now, for example, every patch.

It was a seriously insufficient deterrent against MQ. Figuring out the new opcodes for common and exploitable packets wouldn't take long. But more obscure packets like guild stuff and whatnot wasn't worth the time.

But the side-effect is that only very specific patch versions are supported by EQEmu -- ones that came straight off a CD (so they are relatively obtainable), and which had a long enough window between initial release and the next patch coming down the line that they could capture and identify enough of the more obscure opcodes (and any changes to the packets' internal structure) to make it playable.

tl;dr if you try to use anything other than a client straight off the Titanium CDs, the server will have no idea how to communicate with you and you won't make it past server select.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Kobold

thanks
Old 11-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Kobold

As other people have put it look for the boat with the skull and xbones in the bay
Old 11-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiadashi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As other people have put it look for the boat with the skull and xbones in the bay
That doesn't work.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonslayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That doesn't work.
Admittedly i never looked or went that route, I just saw others suggest it, I find it hard to believe there isnt someone "seeding" it or whatever its called
Old 11-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

I was looking at this on a 3rd party site, take a look
Old 11-14-2016, 03:36 AM
Kobold

Took the plunge and picked up a new copy on ePay for $80
Old 11-14-2016, 03:44 AM
Sarnak

some people just cant take a hint good job wasting rl money tho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread