Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 06-16-2023, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Says a guy who's not 60, nor fully geared. Repeating yourself over and over again does not make you more qualified to answer questions you're not qualified to answer. Consider stating your point once and not spamming every thread you participate in.
Lol this is the weakest form of argument possible. No, you do not need a level 60 BiS character to be able to make factual statements about a class. I am pretty confident in my understanding of a class I leveled to 59.

Sorry you got fallacy. Spamming fallacies in every thread you participate in isn't helpful.

Troll Regen = 12 HP/Tick standing. Call of Bones = -10 HP/Tick. -10 + 12 = +2 HP/Tick Standing.

1 click of Blood Ember Greaves = 120 mana saved from not casting Death's Peace. 240 mana = 1 Drain Soul with 15 extra mana left over.

Basic math shows that I am correct, no BiS Character needed.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-16-2023 at 06:46 PM..
Old 06-16-2023, 08:45 PM
Planar Protector

Has someone (the moderators) considered using chatgpt to parse posts for repeated content, minimize it and flag it as superfluous. With option to expand the content.
Just a thought.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:56 PM
Decaying Skeleton

As OP ill be wading back in to the fray - I very much appreciate the debates and back and forth for knowledge sponging - I come from a super min-max type of background in other games, Havent made it late game in p99 yet but its my next step, that being said, now that im older, my play time and poop sock potential is reduced. So I am looking to understand the potential impacts before I invest time.
Is it so groundbreaking without hyper raid gear that I would regret say going for greenmist as a more casual step, etc. - does it come down to the clear-cut choice to stay with a race that can BE because the majority of my time will be spent solo, doing as much content as I possibly can etc.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:29 AM
Planar Protector

All the races can perform suitably as an end game sk. The biggest factor will be whether your online and willing to spend most dkp when one of your wish list items drop.

Blood ember is helpful, but if you want to be an iksar … well a fatty in blood ember will never grow a tail (*wolf form excluded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

At 60 SK can load two FDs into spell bar, eroding advantage of be greaves.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-17-2023, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As OP ill be wading back in to the fray - I very much appreciate the debates and back and forth for knowledge sponging - I come from a super min-max type of background in other games, Havent made it late game in p99 yet but its my next step, that being said, now that im older, my play time and poop sock potential is reduced. So I am looking to understand the potential impacts before I invest time.
Is it so groundbreaking without hyper raid gear that I would regret say going for greenmist as a more casual step, etc. - does it come down to the clear-cut choice to stay with a race that can BE because the majority of my time will be spent solo, doing as much content as I possibly can etc.
Luckily no race is unplayable in P99. You won't be screwed if you pick Iksar. You are just going to have noticeably more downtime 45+ when soloing, and probably a few more FD fail related deaths.

If you want to min/max because you like doing so, I would avoid picking Iksar. Go Troll if you prefer to solo, go Ogre if you group most of the time.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are just going to have noticeably more downtime 45+ when soloing, and probably a few more FD fail related deaths.
I don't have experience of 50+ iksar vs non iksar SK, but I do have that experience for iksar vs non iksar warrior for those levels. I'm not sure why, perhaps it is the native regen, or perhaps the scale bonus dramatically reducing incoming dps, but the recovery time on the iksar felt much more favourable than that of the half elf / halfling.

Based on that (but again with no first hand experience) I'm not convinced iksar would have dramatically more downtime. My troll SK only tends to lean on his BE stuff when already low on mana. Perhaps that is a gameplay 'error' on my part.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't have experience of 50+ iksar vs non iksar SK, but I do have that experience for iksar vs non iksar warrior for those levels. I'm not sure why, perhaps it is the native regen, or perhaps the scale bonus dramatically reducing incoming dps, but the recovery time on the iksar felt much more favourable than that of the half elf / halfling.

Based on that (but again with no first hand experience) I'm not convinced iksar would have dramatically more downtime. My troll SK only tends to lean on his BE stuff when already low on mana. Perhaps that is a gameplay 'error' on my part.
For sure, Iksars have HP regen. They will be faster at recovery than a Human, Dark Elf, etc. The regen is what you were feeling, not the AC bonus.

But without Blood Ember you are going to be meditating quite a bit more. You should use your Blood Ember stuff as much as possible, since mana is the bottleneck on Shadowknights. If you are in an area where mobs run at 20% health, for example, every 10 glove clicks is saving you 3 minutes of meditation time at level 60, more if you are lower level (less mana regen). You will be snaring every mob in this scenario.

Being a Troll gives you the best of both worlds, with no real downside.

The only reason to pick Iksar over Troll is if you just really dislike the way Trolls look. That is a perfectly fine reason. You should like your character, but you are picking the worse choice between the two Regen races. Unfortunately Greenmist just doesn't fit well with P99's 2 procs per minute cap. You're maybe getting 90-120 extra HP if you proc Epic and Greenmist while Epic is still ticking compared to re-procing Epic. However, the lower DPS from Greenmist is probably going to end up getting you hit 1 or 2 more times, which will cancel out that extra HP for the most part. If you proc both and they don't overlap, procing Epic a second time would have been better.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-17-2023 at 11:24 AM..
Old 06-17-2023, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99's 2 procs per minute cap.
*2 procs per minute expected value, not cap. For sake of clarity and/or pedantry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 06-17-2023, 01:05 PM
Fire Giant

For OP's sake, I'll chime in one last time. It's the long casting time on the BE stuff that makes it less appealing when doing more challenging content at 60. 5 second snares and 3 second FDs are rough. You can still work it in, but you're getting a lot less value than when grinding lower level mobs as fast as possible. Certain persons haven't graduated from the grinding blues so they are obsessed with it. You'll have to weigh your BE FOMO against your Iksar FOMO and decided what you can live with.

Since you said you come from a min/max background, you should know the Min/Max is to not play an SK main (Warrior, Monk, Necro can be a good substitute depending on what you wanna do). To actually get the raid gear, you're gonna be relentlessly clowned on as an SK and asked to switch to a cleric often. If you're a good enough player or a "locker room" guy you can mitigate this somewhat.

If you're interested in what end game SK stuff is like feel free to DM me.
Old 06-17-2023, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For OP's sake, I'll chime in one last time. It's the long casting time on the BE stuff that makes it less appealing when doing more challenging content at 60. 5 second snares and 3 second FDs are rough. You can still work it in, but you're getting a lot less value than when grinding lower level mobs as fast as possible. Certain persons haven't graduated from the grinding blues so they are obsessed with it. You'll have to weigh your BE FOMO against your Iksar FOMO and decided what you can live with.

Since you said you come from a min/max background, you should know the Min/Max is to not play an SK main (Warrior, Monk, Necro can be a good substitute depending on what you wanna do). To actually get the raid gear, you're gonna be relentlessly clowned on as an SK and asked to switch to a cleric often. If you're a good enough player or a "locker room" guy you can mitigate this somewhat.

If you're interested in what end game SK stuff is like feel free to DM me.
I used to think the same way. On live I didn't like clickies due to the longer casting time. But you just need to learn how to use them. It sounds like you just need to get more comfortable with them. Being 60 and raid geared doesn't mean you know everything.

The math backs me up, and I can show you how to incorporate clickies in to fights if you need it.

For OPs sake, I wouldn't advise listening to people who underestimate Blood Ember. Not a knock against Keebz, but he is wrong and doesn't seem to want to update his understanding. Hopefully he will come around.

At Jimjam, the average is 2 PPM at 255 dex. Can you proc more or less in a minute? Sure, but its not reliable. Over time you are hitting the average. 3 procs in 1 minute will probably be followed by one proc in the next. Greenmist would be better if the average was 3 procs per minute, so you could reliably stack Greenmist + 2 Epic procs.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-17-2023 at 02:20 PM..