Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 05-02-2022, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

if anything enchanters are ovely gimped on p99, with key aspects of their kit is entirely missing (like memory blurring your animation). Thats why i think its so hillarious when dumb and dumber always show up to these threads to deonstrate just how little know about actual classic EQ.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

I thought the first years of project 1999 are now considered equivilent to actual classic EQ since project 1999 has now gone more than 10 years longer than classic EQ ever did, officially re-writing history?

I think its possible that the way the spells work is classic

And it's just channeling that is ridiculous. When charm used to break and you couldn't channel like a mad dog, you died. Enchanter pets used to wipe out groups ALL THE TIME groups that didn't want to wipe told enchanters to use mez and keep everyone claritied and that was basically it.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:00 PM
Banned

Charm 20 years ago broke regularly and often did not last very long at all, and this was when enchanters knew they needed lots of charisma. The P99 charm has always lasted too long, too regularly.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:32 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I last played TAKP, Enchanter pets were one of the most OP things on the server. I saw many trios with a max hasted fully decked out sebilite golem shredding camps in Seb.
I can say this was the case in ~2001, too (though I typically had a full group, not a trio).
Old 06-19-2022, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

There is a reason why charm was nerfed in luclin. Or maybe it was PoP? for those who dont know, after the nerf, the moment you charmed an NPC it got weaker. when it broke it was back to full strength.

charming was becoming more stable to use as internet connections and computers got better. so around this time it started becoming apparent how OP it actually was. I still stand by primitive hardware and internet being the real issue in those days. If Tak does not have that nerf, its well within that timeline.
Old 06-19-2022, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Gates of Discord i think is the (an?) era for charm nerf. Tanks were struggling to tank xp content without getting 1 rounded so people used pets instead, especially charm pets (which also could do enough damage a round to potentially kill an ornate geared 65 tank).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 06-19-2022, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

oh yikes i stand corrected
Old 06-21-2022, 10:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Catherin- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is a reason why charm was nerfed in luclin. Or maybe it was PoP? for those who dont know, after the nerf, the moment you charmed an NPC it got weaker. when it broke it was back to full strength.

charming was becoming more stable to use as internet connections and computers got better. so around this time it started becoming apparent how OP it actually was. I still stand by primitive hardware and internet being the real issue in those days. If Tak does not have that nerf, its well within that timeline.
This really wasn't the issue you seem to recall it being. I had access to a T1 and T3 at different locations (one an ISP who I was friends with the owner, and other at the college library) and had 128k ISDN in 2000, which was more than enough bandwidth for EQ without bottlenecking and was extremely reliable compared to my old dialup service. I knew many of my guildmates (most real life friends) that had similar access to higher bandwidth connections for the time at local ISPs or college dorms and libraries.

My home computer (being a broke college kid at the time) wasn't spectacular however I regularly used charm to solo tough camps with my necro during classic, kunark, and velious. I also regularly charming mobs in xp groups in lguk during classic and city of mist in kunark because they did better dps. All without spending thousands on a high end pc.

I'd suggest that if a necro could do it during this era, an enchanter could do it even better. In fact I remember this being the case. Sadly I don't have any data or logs from 20+ years ago to demonstrate my claims to be true.

♦♦ Nikkanu (60 Dark Elf Cleric) ♦♦
♦♦ Psychoactive (60 Ogre Shaman) ♦♦
♦♦ Recycling (60 Iksar Necromancer) ♦♦
♦♦ Silentblade (60 Dwarf Rogue) ♦♦
♦♦ Yourack (60 Human Monk) ♦♦
♦♦ Bargains (EC Mule) ♦♦
Old 06-22-2022, 09:54 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkanu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This really wasn't the issue you seem to recall it being. I had access to a T1 and T3 at different locations (one an ISP who I was friends with the owner, and other at the college library) and had 128k ISDN in 2000, which was more than enough bandwidth for EQ without bottlenecking and was extremely reliable compared to my old dialup service. I knew many of my guildmates (most real life friends) that had similar access to higher bandwidth connections for the time at local ISPs or college dorms and libraries.

My home computer (being a broke college kid at the time) wasn't spectacular however I regularly used charm to solo tough camps with my necro during classic, kunark, and velious. I also regularly charming mobs in xp groups in lguk during classic and city of mist in kunark because they did better dps. All without spending thousands on a high end pc.

I'd suggest that if a necro could do it during this era, an enchanter could do it even better. In fact I remember this being the case. Sadly I don't have any data or logs from 20+ years ago to demonstrate my claims to be true.
Yeah I also had a primatuve form of cable internet in 1999, and it wasn't horribly expensive so was very common at least in my area
Old 06-22-2022, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

While I’m sure plenty of people had the hardware and connections to manage some things I’m extremely skeptical that this was the norm. But just like you, we are tossing around our own memories and experiences to try and back up our own opinion on things. I’ll add a couple more things though.

While enchanters can arguable take on a greater variety, as well as harder content. Failure or just pure bad luck was less forgiving due to the lack of a FD spell. Doing the hardest content you have room for one, two things at most going wrong to salvage the situation. Sometimes you don’t even have one chance. I’d imagine on live this was compounded.

Then there are instant click items and the knowledge we have. It creates a confidence factor that allows a lot more people to get into the charming game than was normal on live. I still think twice about doing higher end content if I don’t have my WC cap and Wand of Allure charged.

Which kind of comes back around to instant click items. They have been a problem and still are.
Last edited by -Catherin-; 06-22-2022 at 10:53 AM..