Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 01-20-2022, 12:05 PM
Banned

enchanter not op at all

kek
Old 01-20-2022, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
enchanter not op at all

kek
It doesn't matter if they are OP are not; what matters is that they weren't OP in classic. Anyone who played in classic remembers Enchanters as a grouping class: they cast haste and C2, they mezzed adds, and maybe (if they were bored) they got hit to have their animation attack (although honestly I don't even remember them doing that very often).

Maybe a few rare Enchanters (with good computers and T1 connections) were soloing ... very carefully ... but again it was rare, and charming in groups was all but non-existent.

The goal of P99 is prominently displayed in the upper-left corner, but as long as I've been here that goal has been ignored when it comes to Enchanter charming. The hope I had ... the same hope I'd like to think we all have, if we appreciate this place and its goals ... should be to make Enchanters like they were in '99-'01.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Banned

didnt read lol
Old 01-20-2022, 07:13 PM
Planar Protector

I am going to say though that im pretty confident the only thing that was really kneecapping enchanters back then was the internet connection, and probably less powerful computers. Graphic stuttering and bad frame rate was actually a thing for a lot of people back then. These things are game over for enchanters. It just simply was not possible to do the things you see now solely because of that.

I played an enchanter then too. With today's advancements to internet and general knowledge of the game, I'm confident I would have been able to pull off what I can do now. It's going to be pretty unrealistic to believe we can ever confidently prove this either way though. And changes tend to be made on extremely strong evidence.

It could be argued that the low quality internet and processing power of those times is exactly why things need to be made artificially harder to mimic those issues, but that also inherently goes against the "vision."

I'd argue myself that the wiki itself is a huge violation to the "vision" as well, but you can't really put the cat back into the bag with that one because you can just find the info somewhere else these days.
Last edited by -Catherin-; 01-20-2022 at 07:18 PM..
Old 01-20-2022, 07:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Catherin- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am going to say though that im pretty confident the only thing that was really kneecapping enchanters back then was the internet connection, and probably less powerful computers. Graphic stuttering and bad frame rate was actually a thing for a lot of people back then. These things are game over for enchanters. It just simply was not possible to do the things you see now solely because of that.

I played an enchanter then too. With today's advancements to internet and general knowledge of the game, I'm confident I would have been able to pull off what I can do now. It's going to be pretty unrealistic to believe we can ever confidently prove this either way though. And changes tend to be made on extremely strong evidence.

It could be argued that the low quality internet and processing power of those times is exactly why things need to be made artificially harder to mimic those issues, but that also inherently goes against the "vision."

I'd argue myself that the wiki itself is a huge violation to the "vision" as well, but you can't really put the cat back into the bag with that one because you can just find the info somewhere else these days.
I remember occasional 10minute zone loads and constant crashes, and I had a very early iteration of cable internet.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:07 AM
Sarnak

I don't buy the internet connection argument. As an EU player latency on p99 is anything but good and back in 2000 I and many others here did have broadband connections.

I think it's fairly obvious that all the ins- and outs of charming weren't known about then. To look at a contemporary example, look at WoW Classic how people play the game today and how people played original WoW.

Thus whether or not it happened in original EQ isn't a relevant point to make, clearly the p99-team is not trying to simulate the first time experience. You'd have to remake the entire game.

Now as I understand the argument for the mechanics being wrong is rather weak. but perhaps I'm wrong. What I DO want to know is IF they're planning on making any MAJOR class change like this is that the P99 devs communicate with the players so that you know, maybe someone doesn't spend their hard earned plat on a chanter and whatever free time they have to level it up only to end up with something they didn't wish to play.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now as I understand the argument for the mechanics being wrong is rather weak. but perhaps I'm wrong.
Just look at the bug thread: Dolalin (classic researcher extraordinaire) did some amazing research to show very clearly that there are faults in our current system.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:55 PM
Kobold

Man guys I just recently started EQ on this server and picked enchanter because of unique play style not available anywhere else. I already struggle now because of charm breaking often and that’s with good charisma hand me downs from friendly players.
Changes have me worried. Because I don’t know what it means.

Please don’t make it harder or I’ll just have to call it quits. There are no groups, everyone soloes or twinked. Enchanter pets are trash, charm is the only thing that works, but if it breaks a lot it’s an easy death sentence or 10 minute sitting waiting on hp to slowly regen because you took few hits and are now at 10% health.

Just my feedback
Old 01-27-2022, 10:13 PM
Planar Protector

How come a charmed shammy or cleric doesnt heal charmer, if needed? Too OP then or something else. A bit OT sorry but kinda related..
Old 01-28-2022, 04:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolguy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Man guys I just recently started EQ on this server and picked enchanter because of unique play style not available anywhere else. I already struggle now because of charm breaking often and that’s with good charisma hand me downs from friendly players.
Changes have me worried. Because I don’t know what it means.

Please don’t make it harder or I’ll just have to call it quits. There are no groups, everyone soloes or twinked. Enchanter pets are trash, charm is the only thing that works, but if it breaks a lot it’s an easy death sentence or 10 minute sitting waiting on hp to slowly regen because you took few hits and are now at 10% health.

Just my feedback
If you’re having a lot of breaks/resists even with good charisma that is either due to mob magic resist being too high (fixed with tash/mal/pet items) or you’re charming mobs too close to your level (which will be improved by this bug fix or you can target slightly lower level mobs).

You can also try to refine your procedure for charm breaks. Prerooting everything is a good contingency, as is keeping your defence maxed and gearing for tankiness.

Hope this helps.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung