Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-09-2023, 05:57 PM
Kobold

Default screen freezing

Hello all,

So I have been getting this issue quite often now when my screen just locks and there's nothing I can do to fix it. Some have suggested pressing alt + enter but that doesn't work for me. I try to /q or control + alt + del to task manager and end process and it does not end the process, I have to restart my computer every time. This has cost me quite a few deaths and lots of wasted time.

I play in windowed mode, im not sure if thats helpful?
Old 12-09-2023, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

Is something triggering UAC? Do you have the game installed under program files? If so, are you running as admin?

How big is the logfile for that character? - although this usually causes "stuttering" and not a total freeze.

Do you use dgvoodoo2, wineq, or a vanilla install?

When you "end the process" are you killing eqgame.exe?

-Mcoy
Old 12-19-2023, 03:10 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I am having the same issue. Seems to be a graphical freeze, the game still runs in the background, you can hear your character moving, casting spells etc. I usually ctrl-S and /camp desktop. Keeps char from getting locked in "you already have an active character" status. It is worse on some of my characters than others, for instance my bard rarely has a problem, but it happens on my monk constantly.

mcoy: Not sure what UAC is. // Installed on separate hard drive, launched through Steam for controller support, yes admin. // no logfile // vanilla install I believe. // I have the same issue with ctrl-alt-del not killing the game, but for some reason /camp desktop still works
Old 12-20-2023, 01:03 AM
Aviak

The solution is to this black screen issue is Dgvoodoo2.

It's a fairly common issue with some modern video cards; possibly only with certain driver versions, as when i used to have this issue it seemed to come and go with driver updates. The reason you're running into it more frequently on certain characters is because the problem only happens in certain areas in-game.

As for the UAC thing mentioned by mccoy, a UAC prompt is the pop-up you get when installing a program asking for permission. If you get one of these while playing P99, then P99 will crash unless you change the following windows setting:

Control Panel > Security and Maintenance > Change User Account Control Settings > Change to second lowest "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)"
Old 12-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks Grimgor