Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-31-2021, 02:01 PM
Aviak

Default EQ (Liekly) Causing Computer to Reboot Without Errors/Warning

Rare OOC post:

I'm at my wits end here and on the verge of taking a prolonged break from EQ after dying several times in the late 40s due to random PC reboots while playing EQ.

I upgraded my PC recently to a Ryzen/Nvidia combo, and been having really weird PC reboots (no error message or anything) but only while playing EQ (using WinEQ2 if that matters). No such issues with any other game or application (even buggy/demanding games like Cyberpunk are running great after long game sessions).

Tried a few basic fixes (admin mode; compatibility mode; using only 1 core in .ini; resolution change from 1440p to 1080p, etc.), but issue is still happening. Hardware temps look fine and don't suspect it's an issue with PC because reboots only seem to happen when playing EQ. Sometimes EQ runs for hours just fine... other times the reboots happen back to back. Really scratching my head at this one.

Might try a clean reinstall of EQ and see what happens, but quite the pain. Tried asking around a few other places and no luck so far. Hoping someone might be able to provide some guidance because this problem has made EQ almost unplayable, sadly, [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Licensed Troll Professional (J.D., M.D., Th.D., R.D., R.C.C., Ph.D., C.P.A., L.S.L.P)
Known Associates: Oakenhops Valebrewer (51 Druid <Dial a Port>); Korezril (50 Monk <Ancient Blood>) ; Xeirella L'Veldriss (52 Necro)

Professional troll services fer gud rates, including da raid dispute resolution. Dis message confidential and not intended for tax purpose. Protect swamp. Tink green before print.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like a driver issue, especially considering you recently upgraded or bad RAM. if you check all your drivers and they are up to date, see if you can find older drivers for the graphics card in particular.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:27 PM
Planar Protector

Leave a standoff in the wrong place and the mobo is shorting out?

-Mcoy
Old 01-31-2021, 10:59 PM
Planar Protector

I've had the same issue, but I play on Linux, so I just chalked it up to "WINE isn't perfect".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:56 PM
Aviak

I had the same issue years back with a different game and it ended going away after updating my BIOS. Was apparently a hardware compatibility issue with older BIOS version.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:49 AM
Kobold

Did you look in the Windows Event Viewer? System failures have about a 50% chance of being logged there, in my experience
Old 02-09-2021, 04:36 PM
Aviak

Thanks for all the feedback. I updated BIOS, chipset, GPU drivers, and re-installed EQ. I intend to test stability not using WinEQ2 (was getting weird frame rate issues and other problems when launching with WinEQ2 after the re-install; game ran fine without it) and will follow up after I have time to see if stability has improved.

I did see a common error listed in the Event Viewer around the time of each reboot:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information."
Licensed Troll Professional (J.D., M.D., Th.D., R.D., R.C.C., Ph.D., C.P.A., L.S.L.P)
Known Associates: Oakenhops Valebrewer (51 Druid <Dial a Port>); Korezril (50 Monk <Ancient Blood>) ; Xeirella L'Veldriss (52 Necro)

Professional troll services fer gud rates, including da raid dispute resolution. Dis message confidential and not intended for tax purpose. Protect swamp. Tink green before print.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

Googling the ryzen and that error there's a few posts about memory speed compatibility.

Here's one:

https://community.amd.com/t5/process...oad/td-p/90799

Odd that you only experience it when played P99 but /shrug. Worth checking out what dropping your memory clock results in.

-Mcoy