Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

Would be cool if thats the case! The post from 2004 on http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1691 says the same thing I found though. Looks like there's ample evidence both ways for some reason [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

So, back to where we were before...

What we know:
- Ring was not No Drop while it was offered as a quest reward
- It was removed sometime around September, 1999.
- It was made no drop sometime between September 1999 and December 1999.

The only remaining question about the item itself is whether it was originally usable by anyone. Obviously we can find posts that claim both, although I would lend more credence to ElanoraBryght's links because they are closer to the correct time frame, and that level 22 SK displayed a good knowledge of the quest itself and the reward when a lot of other people seemed to be fielding guesses. Of course he could just be confidently repeating misinformation.

So - does anyone have any actual links that can prove one way or another if this item was usable by anyone? Please don't bother with sketchy posts from 2004 or memories of what you did on live.

One other question for the devs....seeing as the ring being introduced this late in the Vanilla era doesn't jive at all with the timeline, would you entertain leaving it in the game in its pre-nerf form for awhile? If you're just going to remove it or never return it to its pre-nerf state to keep up with the timeline then all this research is moot.

Edit: Zeelot I see you claimed to have done this quest for the ring in early 2000. Are you sure it wasn't late 1999 as the other posts would suggest?
Last edited by Extunarian; 03-09-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Old 03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah it must have been late 1999. This was a long time ago so it's hard to recall. It was early 2000/late 1999 before kunark that the quest stopped being given out....

I'll ask someone who has the ring to test it. Should settle it provided I can get them to take the time and provided they can find someone with the faction to MQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Zeelot; 03-09-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Old 03-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

OK, good to know. I was beginning to worry that Google effed up all the dates when it archived those newsgroup pages. Sounds like your experiences were along the same lines.

Any chance you remember when it suddenly became no drop? Did it occur the day it stopped being offered as a reward or did it happen randomly at a later date?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Fire Giant

It was either right when they changed the quest to not give the ring or much before that. I honestly don't even remember my ring being droppable ever... I was definitely on the latter end of people getting it though; right before the quest got nerfed.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Sarnak

From what I'm reading in archives (largely wayback machine of Ebonlore) the ring had three stages -
First introduced, ring was tradable, usable from inventory
After a very short time (looks like just weeks) it became no drop, usable only when equipped.
After an unknown time frame (less than a year) it stopped being given as a reward for the Thex Mallet quest.

The ring remains rechargable, if the holder has the faction to do the quest.
Test Server : Tanulie
Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElanoraBryght [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From what I'm reading in archives (largely wayback machine of Ebonlore) the ring had three stages -
First introduced, ring was tradable, usable from inventory
After a very short time (looks like just weeks) it became no drop, usable only when equipped.
After an unknown time frame (less than a year) it stopped being given as a reward for the Thex Mallet quest.

The ring remains rechargable, if the holder has the faction to do the quest.
Got any links?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Sarnak

After a long day of ruining some high elf and noam factions, my bard finally picked up this ring! For such a low lvl quest, it does require alot of work for the non DE sk/necros to aquire. I hope you guys allow it to be usable by everyone, especially in kunark!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Fire Giant

So an old guildie/friend of mine has the ring on live. His name is Brael. He is a credible source for all information regarding this. He was Sony's Shadowknight Class representative and is an oldschool player who ran shadowknight.org and now runs the same site on evilgamer.net. Has been the go-to guy for SK knowledge for a large amount of SKs; ever since release.

This is what he said when I asked him about it:

Quote:
It can be clicked by anyone. Originally the ring was tradeable, it went no drop shortly before kunark launched. Prior to it being untradeable i used to let people use it all the time to bind themselves, so i know for certain they could use it. After it went no drop, i was able to multiquest it to a few people with enough faction to let them use it too
Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Planar Protector

Awesome Zeelot. I hope this is good enough for the devs.