Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Planar Protector

Aside from Haynar's own admissions that the miss % should probably be higher based on his initimate knowledge of the internal workings of the melee equations and the mitigation parameters on the mobs, we have NO WAY of adjusting this to EQ Live 1999, at least in the level range you're describing, based on anything other than speculation or a personal opinion. Which is no way to adjust one of the most fundamental, game-balancing equations in the code.

So unless we invent a time machine, go back to 1999, parse some shit as a level 10-20 against mobs in the range we're talking about here, all the effort on this thread could have been spent... well... leveling your character (in a group, since blues can't be soloed effectively) up to the level where those equations no longer break down and you are relatively satisfied with your hit ratio where it doesn't ruin the game for you personally. Just as hundreds of melees on the server have before us, without it being game-breaking for them.

I understand your frustration, but you're trying to change something where the data you need to back up your claims no longer exists. Even if Haynar PMs you the melee equations, all you can do is reply back to him "Well, I *think* this is how this equation needs to be adjusted for encounters with a level difference of X..." which, does not guarantee that it moves the resulting damage curves closer to EQ Live 1999 in any fashion, and risks completely breaking the game when right now it is clearly playable.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Sarnak

I lol that this thread continues to thrive. Morndenkainen, give it up already man. The reality is that:

Both sides of this argument are based off personal memory of EQLive in '99. I agree that there could probably be a more effective equation in place to calculate hits/misses and damage in general, but the truth is that all of these variables and equations were black-boxed on Live. The Emu and P99 devs did their best to recreate it via memory and this is where it's at. And from what I understand, the work they've done here on P99 for the melee system is much better than how the other Emu servers work. Pretty much end of story.

Unless you're downloading the Emu source to create your own server, implement working algorithms, and doing an assload of parsing to prove that it's more effective, there's really nothing being contributed to this thread. Even with logs of ONE class from '99 fighting all the way from level 1-50 against mobs of various levels, that still only shows data for a single class. Look up the theorycrafting equation for melee DPS and you'd know that it would be fairly worthless since most classes have different damage modifier values - and possibly different hit/miss modifiers as well.

You can argue til you're blue in the face (trust me, I know!) but in the end it comes down to the Dev's thinking this is how it should be. Considering all of the variables that can throw this system much further off than it is, I'm content with dealing with it. I gave up trying to fight on this thread to actually level, and I'm to the point where I'd need to be in groups anyways. Problem solved.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morndenkainen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haynar, two questions...
1. For the hard data that you have, at what point or levels do you feel the miss rate is off slightly?
2. What is the current hit/miss formula?

I understand if you dont want to post the formula for the world to see, PM's work.
I am not going to debate what is correct or not. What is right or not. If you remember back in velious, everyone had a parser. And everyone knew how AC worked. And everyone knew that HP > All. And they were wrong.

There are tons of parses on the monk boards. The warrior boards. And Brael over at the SK boards just rocks. I hear he plays a char here sometimes too.

The list of people who have figured out a large part of how it really works is long.

The list of people who think they know how it really works, but don't, is longer.

I am an open source type of guy. I am all for sharing code, but this is not an open source project. But I will post links to the resources I use for figuring out information. There are lots of gaps at the low end. So much of that is just guessing, and extrapolating (with adjustments) to live.

The miss rates currently, are not off much from what classic was. So I am going to quit responding to people who complain about miss rates. And this thread. If you need hard evidence, that this is how classic really was, then go build yourself a time machine, and go back to 1999.

Haynar
Old 05-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by President [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thought that the difficulty on his warrior was on par for live but did not recall miss rate. Said he would get parses comapring his melee and necro. Then stated he feels misses are higher than he recalls, but did not get any parses like he said he would:
Dantes
Yeah I figured it would be pointless. After hearing the different accounts from several folks higher level than me -- I'm on the side that it's close enough to normal that the devs don't need to waste time looking into it.

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Old 05-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I figured it would be pointless. After hearing the different accounts from several folks higher level than me -- I'm on the side that it's close enough to normal that the devs don't need to waste time looking into it.
Sorry, I think my description of you came off differently than I intended. It wasn't supposed to call you out, but show that the people who were going to get parses more than like found it "pointless" as you described, and never bothered.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by President [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, I think my description of you came off differently than I intended. It wasn't supposed to call you out, but show that the people who were going to get parses more than like found it "pointless" as you described, and never bothered.
No offense taken. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

You freaks shit up this thread and get it parked in R&F I'll ban hammer the lot of you. Deleting the nonsensical crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Closed Thread