Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Fire Giant

Melee are tough as first characters since they're pretty gear dependent.

The suggestion to level the druid first is a good one. That way you can earn some money so you can twink out a melee character later.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Kobold

I started with a necro as that's what I played on live and got him to 8 so I could start liching for mana and was re-living my early days of EQ.

I got bored just re-living the past though and wanted a new challenge so I rolled an enchanter who is now my main and I am loving it, got the enchanter to 13.

I brought back 3 friends and also my kids to play EQ with so I made alts to level with each of them. So I now have a level 5 druid, level 5 shaman and a level 3 sk. I also made a bard but the xp penalty was killing me so I shelved that toon for a bit.

I am having fun switching through each toon, and tbh am not worried about farming plat as the community on this server is really generous and each toon has already been gifted some gear by other players. So have fun indulge your inner altoholic.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by manard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey, started about a week or two ago, kind of a blur once you start playing >_> I cant seem to stick with any particular class.

12mage
9necro
5rng
5dru
5war

Made and spent about 200pp from CB belts on random equipment for them all, but it doesnt really seem like a few int items add much mana.

Iksar was fun, but kunark was desolate and no one to really talk or trade with.

Argh so frustrating.

Is there a group friendly class that can solo and also melee? haha! probably not
The thing with a lot of classes is they don't really develop until the mid-teens or later in terms of skills/spells/etc.

Monks are probably the closest to a group friendly class with a possibility of solo but you'll need some decent weapons and stuff to do it.

Hang in there OP, it's good to try a range of classes - the better you know other people's classes the more likely you can anticipate their actions in various situations [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My main here has been a rogue, I love the class.. I can't solo much but once you join a guild and make a few pals you probably won't want to solo. EQ is a team game by design, I'd pick something you enjoy and look to group as often as possible.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Aviak

Just play them all dude
Old 05-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Kobold

People say it all the time, but ultimately play what you like. Sadly, you aren't going to get a good feel for the class till late teens, except for a few. Mage plays much the same at all levels. It takes a long time to level, there is absolutely no point in playing something you dont like.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Aviak

Make a ranger.
No, really! A well-played ranger is a magnificent sight and asset. It's a wonderful feeling showing all those ranger-haters wrong. You're like a rogue that can cast spells and tank decently. You can solo well, you can track, you can arch things to death better than all other classes, and you can do that thing to your feet that makes them move really fast. Spirit of something-or-other. Due to the low ranger population, you'll have virtually no competition on mobs for ranger quests and class-specific gear drops.

Besides, green mail > all.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajurai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make a ranger.
No, really! A well-played ranger is a magnificent sight and asset. It's a wonderful feeling showing all those ranger-haters wrong. You're like a rogue that can cast spells and tank decently. You can solo well, you can track, you can arch things to death better than all other classes, and you can do that thing to your feet that makes them move really fast. Spirit of something-or-other. Due to the low ranger population, you'll have virtually no competition on mobs for ranger quests and class-specific gear drops.

Like a rogue that does 30-40% less DPS (at max level) and can do all those things. Just want to make expectations clear there.

That said, I really do enjoy grouping with a well played ranger. The tracking alone can be huge for grabbing named mobs as they spawn, and the extra CC/utility is all gravy.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Last edited by Kutsumo; 05-21-2015 at 01:28 PM..
Old 05-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajurai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make a ranger.

Once Velious comes out, and the Hybrid Penalty drops, a Ranger in a group will be a big plus, but NOT as a Tank. You had better have a Cleric with 96% Rez in the group lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Ranger Gate is not a fairy tale.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Kobold

Think about your goals in the game i.e. what interests you in terms of the following. Note: try to think less black vs white and more of along a continuum:
- grouping vs soloing
- role (tank, dps, healing, support, cc)
- playing time / pattern (how regularly do you play / how much time can you put in)
- goals
- challenge

By framing these questions in this way, it will help you think in a coherent manner e.g. if you want to MT Velious content and you play casually, then you need to rethink one or more of the above - especially as Velious raid targets will be locked down tighter than a Japanese schoolgirl's twat.

Also, as others have stated, you haven't played a class long enough to get a feel for how that class really plays. It may be easer thinking along the lines of what classes you really dislike and your reasons. You can then flip these negatives to understand the positives and what attracts you.

My personality type (Princess Leia - even though I'm a guy IRL) leans towards a more social and involved class [bossy]. Bard was too involved to bitch, er, motivate the group. The very idea of other classes - like Cleric and Wizard ** - would lead me to stab myself in the eyeball to keep myself awake. I also prefer utility over focused power, not to mention do not have either the time or appetite to spend my EQ life raiding. Druid and Chanter appealed (Chanter was my main during Live; Druid and Warrior my alts), and I settled on Chanter so that I could do a little of everything.

** I briefly played a DE Wizard to level 4 and deleted due to boredom.

Trade-off? High-octane play and being very squishy (especially at low levels), means a LOT of time spent taking dirt naps until I developed better play and got to grips with the class. This was mid 20s on Live.

As others have stated, it's very easy to become disillusioned and think that the grass is greener (especially as a Chanter and getting your ass handed to you again, and again, and again). Play a class to mid teen levels and forget about equipment at this stage. It's more about whether the class grabs and holds your interest. Once you find a class that interest you, then you can start investing in it.

Cheers!

P.s. Goddamn! I'd pay a Druid almost anything to port me off this goddamn commute home.
Riotgirl - formerly High Elf Enchanter | Ayonae Ro
Old 05-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Sarnak

Just to keep the theme alive, I started a High Elf Enchanter last night, too, OP. Yup. Still thinking my iksar warrior is going to be my main, but the enchanter can help gear him (not total twinkage, but give him the ability to at LEAST hold agro).

But I'm thinking about other classes now, too. So, there's that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]