Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The better ratio weapon never goes into the offhand by default, if ever, and the faster weapon never goes into the primary by default.

The primary slot does receive more of a benefit from fast weapons due to the damage bonus at higher levels, but it doesn't automatically make a lower delay weapon better than a higher delay weapon.

The damage bonus on primary isn't even really big enough to warrant thinking about putting a worse ratio but faster weapon in the primary slot until the mid to late 50s. As evidenced by the fact that SoS is a better weapon than Jade Mace until that time as well.
So are you saying the spreadsheet is correct that JM is better for MH and Trance is better for OH. So much conflicting info on this topic. I think every time I read something about this I get less clear on it.

Anyone know of a dmg meter that works with EQ that I can just test it for myself? I have GINA set up but not sure if that can be used for parsing dps.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQBallzz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So are you saying the spreadsheet is correct that JM is better for MH and Trance is better for OH. So much conflicting info on this topic. I think every time I read something about this I get less clear on it.

Anyone know of a dmg meter that works with EQ that I can just test it for myself? I have GINA set up but not sure if that can be used for parsing dps.
Yes, a 9/18 weapon is better in your main hand than a 7/18 weapon, even with the proc. Where are you reading the conflicting info? A lot of the guides on the wiki are laughably wrong or bad.
Last edited by jolanar; 08-01-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Old 08-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Fire Giant

I have seen several posts/threads referencing that the better ratio weapon should go in OH not MH. Here is an example:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=167037

Snippet from thread:

Quote:
In EverQuest, it's generally accepted that your best ratio weapon goes into your offhand. Your mainhand should either be a weapon of equal ratio that's faster, or a lower ratio that's faster (by virtue of the fact that your best ratio should always be in your offhand).

The faster / lower ratio mainhand is to allow the float "Damage Bonus" stat you get as you level up on your main-hand is applied as many times as possible.

In your case, Wu's Trance Stick should be in your mainhand because the ratio is worse than the knuckle duster AND it's faster. When you get a weapon with a better ratio than the knuckle duster, you should then move the knuckle duster to your main hand and use the better ratio weapon in your offhand.

I'm sure there are caveats to this rule, but as a general rule of thumb it's pretty easy to follow: best ratio in offhand, preferably faster lower ratio weapon in main-hand.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Fire Giant

Sooo..nobody knows if that last post is correct about OH/MH or if jolanar is correct? Enquiring monks want to know!
Old 08-03-2016, 02:23 AM
Banned

Use 2x made maces till your epic /thread
Old 08-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQBallzz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sooo..nobody knows if that last post is correct about OH/MH or if jolanar is correct? Enquiring monks want to know!
Automatically putting your best ratio weapon in your offhand is wrong 99% of the time if you aren't in your 50s. And still wrong the majority of the time then as well. You are making it out to be more complicated than it really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Use 2x made maces till your epic /thread
No. Just no.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Sarnak

It's about the combined DPS potential. If you are comparing JM+SoS to SoS+JM, you need to calculate the average damage of each weapon in mainhand based on your damage bonus and use the one that results in the best DPS. Like others have said, the switching point is in the late 50s.

Those "always faster in mainhand" and "always better ratio in offhand" rules of thumb are a not to be taken 100% literally. It's more like this "When comparing two weapons with the same ratio, but different speeds, the faster one is better in mainhand" or conversely "When looking at weapons to be placed in offhand, ratio is king don't worry about speed"

If you have a 7/18 and a 9/18, then it's clear that the 9/18 should go in mainhand because your mainhand will make more use of that better ratio since it doesn't need to pass a DW check to swing.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Closed Thread