Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 03-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Kobold

Default Blessed Ring of Nife

I stumbled upon this quest on Alla which had to be taken out near Kunark for a rather nice reward. The quest is described here; http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=770

I looked on the Kunark test server and didn't see the NPC the quest talks about where it says it would be. Since live is down I can't test to see if he spawns there but I've never seen this item/heard of anyone getting it on live yet so I was just wondering!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Kobold

Bump, haven't seen the npc on live since it came back up and I assume that means this quest never made it into the game here (and it's taken out near/with Kunark)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Project Manager

Need more information on this. I looked into the quest briefly, and from what I read, it appears to have been added AND removed near the mid/end of Kunark.

Please post the earliest relevant data you can find with links.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
RE: recharge?
Posted: 2004-03-13 17:05:45 | Quote | Reply to Post
Fflewdur
Send PM Add to FriendsAdd to ContactsIgnore
2 posts
Score: Decent
This ring was dropped in Qeynos via a Quest in early 2000 once quest was solved it was gone.
There were 5 blessed rings of Nife awarded on Torvonn server that i know of , to my knowledge there is only 1 ring left . It is in my bank
Old 03-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Project Manager

Waybackmachine is down(?) for me atm, so I can't look further.

The earliest date I see is
Quote:
Entered: Thu Sep 21 12:49:50 2000
And then removed(?) by 10/27/2000
Quote:
Apparently this quest went away with the deletion of the loathsomes. I'm not sure if this was a global thing or just on my server (The Nameless). If I'm wrong I apologize, but I don't think I am. I waited about a week (Norrath Time) trying to find either or of these guys and couldn't before I started asking around. And this was the info, I got.
From the research so far, I'd say this was added as a precursor to the plague event, then removed. But, that's a guess.

http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.html?id=5175
Quote:
The scroll thief (who spawned every night at 11pm game time), carried a scroll, which could be turned into Athrin Tashir in the Tavern, who in turn gave a reward in the semblance of a ring (and XP as well).
annnd.. a french translation.

Quote:
-Discuss the tavern Athrin Lion's Mane Queynos. He will tell you he lost scrolls. A thief spawn outside the door Queynos north. It is only level 9. If they let you kill a "sacred scroll of Rodcet nife. Give to Athrin and it will reward you with the Ring of Rodcet Nife.
Zone Start: South Qeynos Who: Athrin Tashir Level: 9 Class: All
Could use any and all information others can find.. about ring, Athrin, thief, etc.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:35 AM
Planar Protector

It seems that, in addition to the scroll thief quest, these 1-charge rings were given out as rewards for completing or at least participating in various GM events, including the cleansing of the Karanas plague itself.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020428230740

Quote:
Blessed Ring of Nife from the Rude Indvidual Quest.
Wis +2, 1 charge Greater Healing
Quote:
Submited by: Anonymous On: 10/13/2001 10:55:56 AM
I recieved mine from an Gm Event on Lany's. We had to Help Cleanse the Karrana's. 19 of us where chosen to fill Braziers through out west Karanna. We accomplished the Quest and each person recieved this ring. Not a bad ring. After wards, one was picked to finish the quest. He recieved a VERY nice Bp. It was No drop. The picture was very cool looking.

Darcon Holywraith
41 Cleric
Lany's
This post corroborates the one above and seems to imply that the player also received a ring, only to learn that he could have received the much better reward (bulwark) had he roleplayed more believably/with less spam in the chat window.

Quote:
Submited by: Vipral Runningwolves On: 10/26/2001 10:24:06 AM
I was also in that Karana cleansing, i was told that if i hadn't prayed too many times at the end, that i would have been picked to finish the cleansing, but i prayed one too many times, and that is why i wasn't chosen, that really sucks. I was really stupid to do that!
Also, Loathsome Individuals appear to have been removed in late 2000, around October/November.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010708040726

Quote:
Submited by: Derek On: 10/20/2000 4:37:00 PM
What happened to all the loathsomes?I was just out today to get some loot from these guys and kill a ton,and they are gone.All camps are abondoned.why?

Gaden-49 ranger-Soulslek Ro
Quote:
Submited by: Salodin On: 10/21/2000 1:34:28 PM
I didn't see any loathsomes today either. Some people were saying that they were camped too much and because of that, taken out.
Quote:
Submited by: Kaizen On: 10/23/2000 7:06:50 AM
I too am missing the loathsomes... so I petitioned to see of it was a matter of resetting the spawn. I was informed by the Guide that the Loathsomes are set on a timer and/or triggered by a PC action. They recommended that I go to the place that they are known to spawn and tell them "Looks aren't important." This is vaguely familiar but I can't remember to whom you are to say this as you CAN'T say it to an LI as they aren't there.
Quote:
Submited by: Shadoulou On: 12/11/2000 5:59:17 PM
They took these out of the game because they would con red to a lvl 13 and would kos everything but guards. They made it too dificult to hunt in BB entrance. ps does anyone know why when i r-click on ythe cabins it says "you are too far away to reach that, get closer"?
And lastly, here again from the first link is anecdotal evidence of the quest's removal.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020428230740

Quote:
Submited by: Vannidar Katai On: 4/15/2002 2:34:51 PM
This quest no longer works
one of the main npc's is gone (dont remember if it's the priesty guy or the theif that doesnt pop anymore)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Planar Protector

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/qgen/SouthQeynos.html

Quote:
The Blessed Ring (Removed): Talk to Athrin in the Lion's Mane Tavern. He tells you he is missing some scrolls. A thief spawns outside the North Qeynos gate. He is about level 9 or so. If you kill him, he drops a sacred scroll of rodcet nife. This is the one Athrin wants. Give it to him and you will be rewarded with the Ring of Rodcet Nife.

Need all dialogues, quest items, /loc of quest mobs, faction hits if any, confirmation quest has been removed. Reward: Blessed Ring of Nife
The post below provides the same information about the scroll quest, but then goes on to describe in detail the events leading up to the plague's cleansing. Its date (2004) isn't within the parameters of classic, however the contributor does mention that the information came directly from Allakhazam which seems to be the case given that the first paragraph about the thief matches the one quoted above by nilbog, word for word.

http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-9519-p-6.html

Quote:
drithius
09-30-2004, 10:21 PM

found this via alla.....

Here is a segment I stole from Banegrivms MASSIVE Everquest Lore archive, called the Codex of War. This guy REALLY knows his lore, and works now for Brad McQuaid on EQ-RPG. (Writes the stuff!)

The scroll thief (who spawned every night at 11pm game time), carried a scroll, which could be turned into Athrin Tashir in the Tavern, who in turn gave a reward in the semblance of a ring (and XP as well).

The pages found from the ground (the primary numbered ones) combined with the right rune (from the loathsomes) in the new research book (also from the loathsomes) returned an incantation (3 different types). These could be turned into Vegalys Keldrane at the wall atop the gate of Qeynos, as proof of the misdoings of these Loathsome Individuals. Adventurers were rewarded with a random piece of Rubicite armor (no breastplate).

The Runed Branding Irons could be turned in as well to the local Magistrate; same reward.

After about two weeks, the Loathsome Individuals fled, along with the Thief and all other related individuals. It was then announced that their leader, Mordavin Telase, had been captured.
The Trial of Mordavin Telase then came to pass. It was revealed that he intended on unleashing a plague on the entire Kingdom of Qeynos (Qeynos, Karana Plains, and Surefall Glade) that would slay all those who dwelled within the Kingdom's borders. (GM Event)
Last edited by Ennewi; 05-03-2019 at 08:01 AM..
Old 12-28-2020, 01:39 AM
Planar Protector

To summarize the contents of link initially provided in OP...

Athrin spawns at 9pm and despawns at 1-3am (inconclusive) in the Lions Mane tavern, wearing full chain or platemail. Key words to initiate dialogue with Athrin are "what scroll". The reward at level 9 is approx one bubble of xp, 50gp, and the ring.

The thief spawns at temple entrance in North Qeynos, either at the teleporter or the "exit" platform out front, between levels 9 and 35 (possibly higher) at 11pm and will run to the Qeynos Hills zoneline where he then despawns.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...0&p=2#comments

Quote:
Thief tougher than that
#Oct 26 2000 at 1:01 PM
Anonymous
Anonymous
Level 16 druid completely buffed, I went to attack Nixx, and the thief ran up behind me and backstabbed me for 220 hit points, punched me, pierced me (dont remember the last two hit point amounts) and I was back at level 15. Lovely level range for a character in what many consider a "newbie-zone" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
RE: red to 16th shaman
#
Oct 12 2000 at 10:02 PM
Anonymous
Anonymous
THe thief spawns anywhere from level 12ish to level 35.
Quote:
Thief for blessed RIng of Nife
#Oct 03 2000 at 8:06 AM
Anonymous
Anonymous
The thief may have been 9, but the first time i killed him he was blue to me (40 lvl druid). The second time he was green. Obviously he spawns at various levels. So becareful and make sure to con him.

Zzanzair Weepingwolf
Cazic-Thule
Quote:
RE: THIEF'S LEVEL
#Oct 03 2000 at 6:40 PM
Anonymous
Anonymous
i have done this quest multiple times and have figured a pretty good idea on how his level is decided -> but first you need to know that there are 2 ways to do this quest: first talk to athrin or just kill thief and bring loot to athrin

If you want to have a good almost even fight then first go to athrin and make sure you initiate the quest, not a friend or group member etc. Then when the thief spawns he will be approximately your level give or take 1. HOWEVER, this can be extremely frustrating if someone else has initiated quest before you because the thief will be suited for their level. (if a newbie does it , then u can KS a green for no exp but still do the quest [like me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]] or if someone higher than you initiates it first then you're ***** basically until guy does quest
Quote:
RE: THIEF'S LEVEL
#Oct 04 2000 at 7:38 PM
Anonymous
Anonymous
No I don't think it works that way. The second time I initated the quest and he was green. The first time I killed him (when he was blue) I didnt initiate it he just spawned and i blasted him. When I spoke to Athrin i guessed at what was to be said to him, not knowing if it would work. But it did and then i knew what to do with the scroll.

I just wish i could figure out what ones does with these 3 words and the tome that the Loathsomes drop.

Zzannzair
Quote:
just been nerfed
#Oct 01 2000 at 7:58 PM
Anonymous
Anonymous
they just nerfed this quest, the thief used to be about lvl 10, now he is red to me at lvl 12. and just when we thought there was a worthwhile lowlie quest.
Quote:
NPC nerfed
#Sep 29 2000 at 9:56 PM
Anonymous
Anonymous
Wow, did this last night, and they have really buffed this guy up. He killed by lvl 11 shaman in about five hits, over 55hp per hit. Careful on this one, it is pretty dangerous for lower levels now.
Quote:
RE: NPC nerfed
#Sep 30 2000 at 1:49 AM
Anonymous
Anonymous
Yes, the thief seems to range from about 20 to 24 or 25. He cons from blue to red to my 22 ranger. THAT was a surprise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Complete Walkthrough for the Clueless
#Sep 24 2000 at 12:14 PM
Anonymous
Anonymous
hey,
the info given is kina vague, so here's a better description of the quest, everything except the locs of the npcs:

go to the Lions Mane tavern, not the inn, the tavern. get there at about 9pm, sit with your back to the bar. soon a dude in platemail (Althin) will spawn. hail him and then say "what scroll" he will respond to both with a message about thieves.

now run to the entrance to the temple of live, and sit just past that little inner wall, facing the fling saucer, wait till 11pm. kill the thief that spawns there, if you're a meleer you'lll need a ranged weapon 'cause he ignores you until you do damage to him.

take the scroll you get from him, and run back to Althin. he despawns at 1am, so be quick. give him the scroll, and you'll get the ring, 50gold, and almost a bubble of XP at 9th lvl.

THis quest doesn't work on the Innoruuk server, so don't even try it, even if you see the thief running by and a monk chasing him. That's just me er, um, ah! testing if thy've fixed it! ya! that's it! er, hm, mmm..... bye [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Monk Sonaroc @ innoruuk
Quote:
Another Warning
#Sep 23 2000 at 3:11 AMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
I camp him right at the entrance to the temple of life. Twice while trying to apprehend him, I've been attacked by Velarte Selire. Be careful where you start combat, I'd wait till he's around the corner.
Quote:
warning
#Sep 22 2000 at 5:27 PMRating: Good
Anonymous
Anonymous
you'll see a message of someone shouting
"GAURDS!! GUARDS!! THIEF STOP HIM!!

at this time i was running around outside the gate trying to track him
after this message i finally got him on my tracking screen, from where i was standing he had to of started in town, he then continued to run right through the front gate and out of the zone..
couldn't catch him.. errrr
Quote:
RE: Anyone else see the joke?
#Sep 23 2000 at 11:40 AMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
not true.

As much as Qeynos = Sony EQ an its kinda funny,

The harpys head tavern DID start the quest and DOES give you the trigger word.

I post on 'flameplay' all the time and hardly ask for anything.

I am not a 'Rude Individual' nor 'A Thief'
Quote:
HIya - Your questions
#Sep 22 2000 at 12:02 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
Hi i was the first to complete this on MT server.

Athrin Spawns at 9 pm an is there till 3 am

The thief spawns at the fron gate at about midnight to 1 am

he will ALWAYS run for the zone and he is ALWAYS announced by 'Thief, thief'
Quote:
In addition to
#Sep 22 2000 at 10:22 PMRating: Decent
__DEL__1591749842501
Scholar
56 posts
The thief will spawn where the teleporter from the Flying Saucer. He makes a bee line for zone and if he makes it to the zone line he will despawn. The thief, and he is named "a theif," is around level 9 or 10. Fairly easy quest, and after I figured out the spawn time pattern, it is a descent money maker as well. Got 6 rings, and and about 5 pp worth of change every time I did it.
Quote:
What am I missing here??
#Sep 22 2000 at 5:36 AM
Anonymous
Anonymous
Okay first of all I've found out that Athrin is only around for a short time at night. I couldn't figure out how to get him to talk about anything. Finally I just asked him about a scroll and he said some ruffians took it.

So, I go to North Qeynos and sat there for hours, tracking anything unusual. I didn't track anything called "thief" at all.

This is a one hour quest? I've already spent 4 hours on it and have gotten nowhere! Can someone please supply more specific information? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thanks!
Quote:
RE: What am I missing here??
#Sep 22 2000 at 6:34 PM
Anonymous
Anonymous
well if i could find athin it would be nice the theif is called a theif he starts in town and runs out to the zone of the hills
Quote:
RE: Where is he ???
#Sep 22 2000 at 10:26 PM
__DEL__1591749842501
Scholar
56 posts
Athrin spawns in the tavern area of The Lion's Mane Inn in South Qeynos. He is the big guy standing in the corner in full plate armor. You can hail him if you like, but all you have to do is give him the scroll.
More evidence that the rings were given out as rewards during GM events.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...4&p=2#comments

Quote:
A lvl 8 got it on my server
#Oct 16 2001 at 11:20 PM
__DEL__1592757687454
12 posts
This event took place today, I got a ring, and my friend, a lvl 8 Druid, was roleplaying very well in fron of the GM. He got the BP, and on my server (Sullon Zek), the evils were very mad. They nuked the heck out of him and CC'd him for a while. But still, this is one great piece of armor
Quote:
WOw
#Oct 16 2001 at 4:49 AM
__DEL__1591764757931
30 posts
Ya I was involved in the GM event on Brell. was alot of fun. Was playing a lvl 23 war alt of mine at the time. Bunch of us got rings with a charge of greater healing for helping out with the quest. Not to bad. I can say that whoever gets this BP on each server has got to be very happy indeed. I know i would. I dont think this is a melee or hybrid only chest item. Who ever got it deserved it. The low wt makes it good for all classes. Grats to anyone who got this wonderfull BP. I can only hope to get as lucky in the next GM event in the future.
Taeken
Last edited by Ennewi; 12-28-2020 at 02:04 AM..
Old 05-15-2023, 07:45 AM
Planar Protector

https://web.archive.org/web/20031103.../pslg5084.html

Quote:
◇- SacredScrollofNife -Gorisan (10/13-18:46) No.5084
 ┗ Re:SacredScrollofNife -Neath@Povar (10/14-11:04) No.5093
  ┗ Re:SacredScrollofNife -Gorisan (10/14-23: 05) No.5098
Quote:
5084 Sacred Scroll of Nife Gorisan E-mail 10/13-18:46

thx. nice to meet you. A friend told me that Quest-related things are here, and I
often use it.
So, I have a question for you. When I went to North Chaos the other day, an NPC shouted out something like,
"It's a thief! Guard, catch me."
It was blue from LV 26, so when I tried to kill it,
it dropped an item called Sacred Scroll of Nife in the title.
I think it's probably related to quests, but all my friends and acquaintances don't know about it, and I
tried looking up items and zones on various websites, including here, but I
couldn't figure it out. I'm curious about it, so I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.
By the way, the item was LORE and remained even after logging out.
Thank you.
Quote:
5093 Re: Sacred Scroll of Nife Neath@Povar URL 10/14-11:04
Comment to article number 5084
Gorisan wrote in No.5084 "SacredScrollofNife".
> Hi. nice to meet you. A friend told me that Quest-related items are here,
and I use them frequently.
So, I have a question for you. When I went to North Chaos the other day, I got
a shout from an NPC, saying something like, "It's a thief! Guard, catch me."
It jumped out and
looked blue from >26 LV
, so when I tried to kill it,
it dropped an item called >SacredScrollofNife in the title.
>I think it's probably related to quests, but none of my friends or acquaintances know about it,
>I tried looking up items and zones on various HPs, including here, but I
still couldn't figure it out. I'm curious about it, so I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.
> By the way, the item was LORE and remained even after logging out.
>Thank you.

If you give this to the NPC (I forget the name) in the lion's inn in South qeynos,
you should get a G heal 1 ring.

I forgot about faction changes and quest NPCs and can't proceed (^^[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was posted on some overseas BBS...

That theif is around the UFO pond (temple of life) every night at 11 o'clock during the game time
POP and run towards qynos hills. (It's a little faster than normal Run, so
J-boots are required.)

Killing doesn't change the faction, so it might be a good idea to get it for the time being.
Quote:
5098 Re: Sacred Scroll of Nife Gorisan E-mail 10/14-23:05
Comment on article number 5093 I
tried it while going to BANK, and I see, I got a disposable healing ring.
thank you very much.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:36 PM
Sarnak

https://web.archive.org/web/20030526...avintelase.htm

Found some additional lore for this quest:

Mordavin Telase

An evil follower of Bertoxxulous, he plotted to take over Qeynos.

Mordavin Telase, the mastermind behind a grand conspiracy to overthrow Antonius Bayle and take control of Qeynos, was apprehended today. A grand trial took place but alas, Mordavin managed to escape. Details of the trial are below.

Mordavin was tried and charged with Conspiracy to Commit Genocide, Treason, Destruction of Sacred Natural Resources, Grand Larceny and Murder. After lively testimony from Earron Huntlan, Al`Kabor, Athrin Tashir, Rykonis Sw`Vaye and a host of other citizens, Mordavin's plan was exposed. He unabashedly admitted to each of these charges, thumbing his nose at the jurors and prosecutor.

The Bloodsabres sought to destroy all life in Qeynos and the surrounding areas in an effort to take control of the city. Mordavin and the Bloodsabres sought to summon the Avatar of Bertoxxulous and use his power to unleash a powerful and virulent plague that would extinguish all life as far as the Karanas.

Athrin Tashir testified concerning the thieves that were ransacking the Temple of Life and attempting to steal their sacred scrolls on a daily basis. Ironically, the Bloodsabres needed the research of their mortal enemies in order to find a way to become immune to the very plague they were to unleash. Though most of the scrolls were returned, a great number nevertheless fell into the hands of the Bloodsabres. The research was completed and a way devised to protect them from the plague found.

Al`Kabor revealed that the Runed Branding Irons would have been used to brand all those friendly to the Bloodsabres and their causes with a certain sigil. This sigil would have rendered them immune to the effects of the plague. The strange, obsolete words people were finding, when combined with the hidden runes found on the prime numbered diary pages found blowing around the city produced one of several incantations. These incantations are part of the spell that would have been used to summon the Avatar of Bertoxxulous. With the power of the Bertoxxulous, a powerful spell would have been cast that would have released a deadly and virulent plague, the likes of which almost no one would survive. Finally, the strange building materials were to be used to construct a rather large shrine to Bertoxxulous, that would be necessary for the summoning.

Holly Windstalker took the stand. She told that the waters in Surefall glade became tainted one day. She and Cros Treewind noticed the taint after drinking from it one morning and immediately alerted everyone in the glade. Though the rangers and druids caught it quickly and were able to purify the waters again, the mate of Mammoth too, drank the water. He became mad with sickness and ran away. In order to prevent spreading the disease, she and Cros both went into the wilderness until they recovered. The bear, perhaps sensing the familiar smell of Cros, found him and in its madness, killed him. In his weakened state, Cros was unable to defend himself and died by one of the creatures he swore to protect. Mordavin admitted that tainting the waters of Surefall Glade was but a simple experiment to test the virulence of the plague that was to be unleashed. It was also a way to settle some old scores with a long standing enemy.

Rykonis Sw`Vaye, in order to clear his good name as a legitimate business man, took the stand. Rykonis said that he was contracted by Mordavin to supply the man-power to mine and deliver supplies to the Bloodsabres. Rykonis used his connections (it is rumored that Rykonis works for Donovan, the leader of the bandits) to obtain the manpower necessary to complete the contract. The men mined the high quality granite from the mountainous areas of the Karana near Coldwind Shore and also delivered large supplies of paints.

Rykonis admitted to even using gnolls to accomplish this goal, saying that the job was so large, he was unable to get the men needed to complete the contract. So he appealed to his gnollish contacts for more labor. Gnolls tend to work cheaply and are good laborers when properly motivated. He provided his very own stylish Brooch to those that worked for him as a form of identification so he knew who should be paid and who shouldn't.

Mordavin became angry at Rykonis for double crossing him and vowed revenge. It was shortly thereafter that several zombies, Rotting Sentries, crawled up from the sewers and began to assault the citizens. In the confusion, one of the zombies managed to free the bonds on Mordavin's hands and he gated away to an unknown location.

Lord Vegalys Keldrane, Magistrate and advisor to King Antonius Bayle was charged with the duty of apprehending Mordavin.

Calling for assistance from the local populace and relying upon the reports given him by the Rangers of Surefall Glade, Vegalys and the group set out into the Karanas in search of Mordavin. With the help of the tracking skills of the rangers and druids in attendance, Mordavin's hiding place was eventually found.

Vegalys demanded that Mordavin give himself up and was instructed to come along peacefully. Mordavin had nothing but insults for the Magistrate. After heated words were exchanged, the Arch Priest of the Bloodsabres became enraged and attacked Vegalys.

A battle ensued between the Arch Priest and those that were to be his captors. After several minutes of fighting, Mordavin was seriously wounded. Realizing that he was out matched and out numbered, he gave himself up. However, the words he spoke upon his surrender were eerie. He stated that though he may be captured, he was not defeated, saying that they were too late to stop the events that had been set in motion. Vegalys took the foul priest into custody and he was taken to Qeynos, where he currently languishes in prison awaiting his sentencing.

Antonius Bayle was so impressed by the successful and efficient capture of what was surely the most wanted and reviled criminal in the history of Qeynos, that he offered a title and his very own shield to the leader of those that assisted Magistrate Vegalys Keldrane in the capture of this fiend. With Mordavin captured and behind bars, Qeynos citizens and the residents of Karana may now sleep peacefully.

----

Looks like this quest should be implemented during the plague of karana's event.

~Artelius