Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 02-14-2023, 06:41 PM
Kobold

One of the coolest bug reports I've ever seen. Apologies for adding one more "linkless" comment here, but as someone who played Live, I never, ever knew about the pickup mechanic on mobs, even across multiple different guilds and servers from Kunark through Luclin.

I suspect that most players didn't run into this situation very often, which might explain why not only do many players not remember the pickup mechanic affecting the rogue book, but why many players (like myself) didn't know there was a pickup mechanic in the game at all.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Orc

Stumbled on an earlier post mentioning item pickup:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020701....shtml?id=4207

the skinny Reply... By: Redi,
4 posts
Posted @ Wed, Sep 20th 3:46 AM 2000 Score: Decent[3.00]
These guys seem indifferent no matter what your faction (Wood Elf Ranger and Darky SK tested). Obviously, they don't aggro.
They're fairly tough for their level and like to harm touch. They will try to gangbang you if they're close enough, which can be most of the length of a room away.

They don't respond to any questions (mostly tried those regarding Sythrax) at all. They will sometimes mumble to themselves while walking along, especially when picking up something you've dropped on the ground.

Skeletal jester seemed to drop some sort of plans (a scroll, unreadable) relating to Sythrax.

-Redi Wolfbrother, E'ci
Last edited by Vanifac; 05-11-2023 at 08:34 PM..
Old 06-16-2023, 03:50 AM
Planar Protector

https://web.archive.org/web/20010803...cID=6035.topic

Quote:
Triff
Veteran
(7/18/01 10:19:34 am)

To those doing the Ragebringer quest
/
> You are in the Dreadlands.
> -------------------------
> [45 Warrior] Pansyelf (Wood Elf) <Legions of Mister T>
> etc.
> There are 72 people in the Dreadlands.
Triff thinks he would like very much to finally get the Book of Souls from Hate for his Ragebringer.
Triff clicks open his 3rd 10-slot backpack and eyes the Soulstone of Innoruuk that has been kept there for 3 months.
/shout Paying 100 plat and providing the stone for a port to Hate. Anyone?
> WizzerDude tells you, 'i'll do it'
/r really? cool. isn't it dangerous for you though?
> WizzerDude tells you, 'nah the chances of dying are slim if i just gate out asap'
/r okie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] where are you?
> WizzerDude tells you, 'nw corner of karnors'
Triff goes and meets WizzerDude.
Triff gets ported up to hate.
Triff sneaks and hides.
Triff notes that the entire first floor of hate is a full spawn and that the raiders from Lummox are on the top floor.
Triff turns around and puts on some Mission Impossible music.
Triff runs out to Maestro's house, maneuvering around the Liches and Banshees that have all been given SoW's from the Spite Golems, because they both see through hide.
Triff dashes up the stairs and runs through the second floor, conning every rat he sees in case one of them is the random see-invis sort.
Triff sneaks up to Maestro's bed and nightstand and snatches the book away.
Triff proceeds to run from there to the second floor and search for the Lummox party with little help on directions.
Triff finds that the wizard who was here left very recently, and arranges a port out from a druid after dueling and killing him for the res back up to hate.
Triff proceeds to tell all his friends about it. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Just a word to any rogues who still have to go get their Hate book. Don't go up on a raid and sit and camp the book - that's boring as hell. This is the way to do it. :P
Click for my EQCastersrealm profilerofl.. I was level 40 at the time
Level 55 Soloing Rogue (), Erollisi Marr
Always lookin for a duel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Currently on vacation from EQ
When people ask me why one would want to be a rake, I tell them I get to lie in a shed with a hoe all day.

Quote:
vuzlyn
Visitor
(7/19/01 7:45:55 am)
Re: To those doing the Ragebringer quest
Good work bro, I love to see fellow rogue doing the quest the old and real way [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Reminds me of last summer when I had a good chat with some banshee up there since I had no one in zone to keep me awake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] For 12 hours, we argued about why she picked up the book I needed and I finally was faster than her when the book finally respawned.

Drop me a tell in game bro, it's been ages since we talked.
Vuzlyn
Assassin of Affliction
Old 07-14-2023, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

https://web.archive.org/web/20020318...topic&index=12

Quote:
Kendrick
Grandfather Rogue
(2/3/02 4:37:52 am)
Reply Re: Drop transfers. Why?
Um, sorry. I gave that vendor a very high greed setting, which makes him charge higher prices. It also means he'll snatch up anything dropped near him as well. And of course, I couldn't resist giving him painfully corny "pick up" text.

The majority of NPC's in the game have little or no greed, nor do all those NPC's that have high greed have "pick up" text. But some do, especially merchants. The moral is, if you're going to do a drop transfer, do it away from NPC's, to be safe.
Quote:
Brambler
(2/4/02 12:41:04 am)
Community Supporter

Re: Drop transfers. Why?
Killing the DEs in Kith the other day, a mage had made the usual pile of mod rods on the ground, unfortunately it was a bit too close to the pull spot. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Brigadier Soandso has picked up an item from the ground!

Heh, surprised we still won while fighting through the tears of laughter, mage was quite pissed. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
FreonSmurf
(2/6/02 5:33:58 am)
Reply Re: re:
Its funny to do it in the middle of a General raid, he wil stop raping the tank and pick up whatever trinket you drop.
Rodcet Nife Ring Warden
Rogues do it better from behind!

"Nicotine is not addictive" Tobacco Industry
"Rogues are a balanced class"-Gordon
My Sigs
Quote:
patofnaud
(2/6/02 7:55:42 am)
One other thing to watch out for, the is no Z axis check when a NPC decides to pick up something either. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I dropped a bag of banded for a Hobbit Rogue I use in Rivervale to spy on the DE cabin in the second floor of the Fools Gold and the bastard on the first floor did a "Mmm this Handmade Backpack looks nice!"

Grrrrrrrr.
Patofnaud
54th Season Redeemed Epic Shadow Dweller
Warden of something or other.
(We work in shadows, we dress in black.)

Patofwaan Griffonbate
43rd Season Friend Of Wolves
Guild Leader of Karma
Patofwarr Barbarian Warrior
20th Season Soldier of Rallos Zek
All proud members of Karma Guild, In the Land of Morell-Thule
Quote:
Kevagron
(2/6/02 10:12:55 am)
Hehe our guild was doing General for rogue epic and I can't remember the dark elf chicks name (was listening to it in guildchat because I was late), but she not only picked up the mod rods, she also used them whilke fighting LOL

Kevak
Quote:
Inkiewiz
(2/6/02 10:47:29 am)
The tin merchants in OT - those little borg gnomes - pick up stuff too. It says something about a long hose extending from the merchant and sucking up trash on the ground. Cracked me up. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

https://web.archive.org/web/20021103...icID=361.topic

Quote:
Arichiena
Officer
(7/17/01 1:40:19 pm)
Reply FOR THOSE DOING TRANSFER DROPS BETWEEN CHARACTERS
BIG WARNING

Apparently those Gnome Cleaner rats really do clean.

I was in the back end of Kaladim early in the morning. Only one other player in the zone and he was AFK.

Decided to do a transfer to an alt character I had there. Went into an unused, empty room which led to another empty unused room. Thought this would be a good place to do transfer as I could hear the outside door open if anyone came in. Started dropping some items behind a crate so they would not be seen if anyone happened to walk in while switching characters.

No sooner had I dropped the ninth and final item when my message screen filled up with a message that was repeated for a total of 8 times. The message said

“CLEANER VII CLICKS AS A PLATE SLIDES TO THE SIDE REVEALING A HOSE THAT EXTENDS AND SUCKS UP AN ITEM FROM THE GROUND.”

All 8 messages appeared in less than a second. I picked up the one remaining object and looked around for Cleaner VII but it was not in the room. Quickly ran outside and again could not find it anywhere in zone. There was a guard nearby but not receive the message that is usually given when they kill it. Never saw it before or after and never heard or saw either door open.

Not sure if they are limited to 8 items that can be picked up, That specific one drops two items that are used in quests so others may be able to pick up 10. Also not sure if they are able to pick up containers.

Other NPCs have also been known to pick up items.
Just didn't know they could do it through walls.

Arichiena
Level 46 Enchantress
and newly ordained rat exterminator
Quote:
Dadijob
Officer
(7/28/01 7:21:26 pm)
Reply Re: Ouch
In Freeport
Dropped some items near an NPC merchant
Within secounds
..NPC states someone has dropped some nice saleable items..I think I will take them.

And while I did not see it, they were gone in a few Seconds

Dadijob The wiser
Quote:
The Phoenix L0L
(8/1/01 2:16:54 pm)
well well in fp the twist is jakonis
that the twit of an spc is ping fizzle cuttr no npcs withing the city do it .

the guards attack them if they do in fp .

iv been angerd amny a time when trades have gone bad cuse the other did not have room and item was lost of curse i refunded but was out both item and cash.

i am much wizer now you all oughtta be carfull jakonis cennturi
and centurian maine is cennturi. was also knowen as feerwlaker.

~Walk in the Light~
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
Glamdering Foe'Hammer
46th level Wizard of Prexus
Proud leader of The Legion of Light
Old 10-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Aviak

saw this in a log file as well (helps verify the dark elves in kith picking up items) :
[Sat Feb 23 18:32:30 2002] General V`ghera picks up something from the ground. '
Old 11-09-2023, 09:35 PM
Planar Protector

https://web.archive.org/web/20020621...picID=55.topic

Quote:
EqMydnight
(1/24/01 10:00:01 am)
Reply Spawn time for rogue book in hate?
I recently got my kedge robe while I was helping my mage friend kill phinny so i decided it was time to launch my epic quest. I was wondering about the book that spawns on the floor in hate, I have heard various different things about it such as it only spawns every few days and that mobs walk by and pick it up after only a few minutes. That hardly seems possible considering all the rogues I see weilding the ragebringer. This sounds like a frustrating part to the quest seeing that I dont get to go on Hate raids every week and the chances of me getting the book while i am there sounds like it will be tough if the book isnt on the ground for more then a few minutes. Also is the book no drop? I assume it is but if anyone could answer these questions I would appreciate it.

Mydnight Assassination 52 Rogue
Old 11-09-2023, 10:03 PM
Planar Protector

https://web.archive.org/web/20011226...cID=2022.topic

Quote:
Gyorg
(1/19/01 1:36:02 pm)

Book is fixed
In zone patches and server crashes hate was patched last night. Post patch, the book is spawning every 10 seconds and mobs are not picking up as far as I can tell.
Quote:
Caowyth
(1/19/01 1:53:17 pm)
Re: Book is fixed
I don't think the book spawning every 10 seconds can be considered a fix...

Cao
Quote:
Bronus Blackblade
(1/19/01 3:23:24 pm)

Think about it...it's a book on Maestro's nightstand. This is a book the guy likes to read apparently. It's something that should always be on his nightstand.

Although in all honesty I am confused. While I appreciate the lack of a timesink for this portion of the quest, didn't Kendrick mention he would be doing something to 'limit' the flow of RB's into the world? Is this a temporary issue to make up for the book spawn being broken for so long? If so, please don't change it back until after my raid this weekend [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bronus Blackblade
Requiem's Acquisitor
51st Rake of the Tribunal

Edited by: Bronus Blackblade at: 1/19/01 3:23:56 pm
Quote:
Gozar
(1/20/01 1:46:40 am)

Book is changed. The NPC still picks it up but another one spawns in about 10 secs.
GOZAR GOZARIAN
Terris Rakehell
Quote:
Kendrick
Grandfather Rogue
(1/20/01 2:21:33 am)
Another bad export, and my apologies. The zone is being re-updated immediately if not sooner.

Until further notice, the book shall remain as it was from the beginning.

But I AM going to revisit the quest in the near future.

Not to make it easier or harder, but an attempt to reduce the tedium factor.

I've learned an awful lot since I implemented that quest, which was essentially my first content for EverQuest. Lets see if I can't put that knowledge to good use.
Quote:
Echus
(1/20/01 4:32:24 am)
I just have to laugh at the timing. I got invited into a raid, and just as things are getting organized up in Hate, and I'm considering slipping away to look for the book, Hate comes down on all servers.

Then, we reassemble and wait for the repop. And wait. And wait.

We finally gave up after too many hours. And the book didn't spawn. I would have stayed up there after everyone left, except I had no idea what the change to the book was going to be.

Echus
51 Rake
7th Hammer
Quote:
Aleistair
(1/20/01 7:57:03 am)
Ooof, we were just about to pull Maestro and head into his area when they brought the servers down.

The wait on the book continues................

/sigh

Aleistair, 52nd Rogue
Gyn Cadley Reejeryn
Lanys T'Vyl
Quote:
Munester
(1/20/01 1:12:42 pm)

I was in hate last night when they brought it down.. so when it's back up, the zone is totally empty of mobs and I think so myself "Hey, perfect time to go get the book!"
Wasn't there though.
Quote:
Aleistair
(1/20/01 11:52:37 pm)
Went back today Viren, we killed Inny and Maestro, and I got the book on the last check upstairs before port out.

Woohoo.............
Quote:
Morek the rogue
(1/22/01 11:16:25 am)
So how often does the book spawn now? (im asking for a friend) I heard that the book respawns every 10 - 30 seconds now, but is this a bug? Is the book going to go back to spawning every 8 hours? Any info would be appreciated.
Morek Swifthands
Rogue of the 35th season

Ssendak Monk of the 6th season

Once a Legend, Always a Legend... I feel I have came home.