Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 04-07-2023, 07:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you have limited plat, just don't bother with poisons.

They are mostly going to be things you use when soloing anyways, outside of niche applications. For example you aren't going to be the person that snares in your group as a rogue because 1: that would be insanely expensive and 2: you wouldn't have enough bag space as each poison takes up 1 bag slot.

Even if you farmed the ingredients, the cost of the vial and the suspension alone make doing combines expensive. If I remember correctly, Lined Vials are 4p and Sealed are 6p. The suspensions aren't cheap either. The actual 'ingredients' part is the "cheap" part of the combine.

Additionally, the concept of Oppurtunity Cost means you would be better off farming plat and then converting that into vendor bought materials than you would be trying to farm materials. Even at low levels. That's why I mentioned Perma and Sol A because those also double as normal plat farms.

Anyways that's just my 2c.
Exactly. I think one of my biggest issues is that it attempts to frame poisons as something other than a plat sink gimmick that you can do on a budget. No. You're not going to learn this skill cheaply and you're going waste of a lot time farming ingredients when that time that could otherwise be spent exping or farming plat.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:47 PM
Sarnak

I tend to agree, don't farm components unless you're forced to for whatever you're doing. There are some though that you can get off vendors if you keep an eye out even if they're farmed components because they're common or because the source comes from somewhere where there is an obvious vendor to drop them on.

I liked Rancid Wolfkiller as a stepping stone from Spine Break to Athropic Sap, both because it was decent damage when it applied and the only non-storebought ingredient is chunks of meat, and you can usually find a vendor that has a lot of those sold to them eventually because they're such a common newbie drop.

You can sometimes get Soot Hemlock, Choking Asmag or Black Henbane at the druid vendor in lavastorm because mostly people vendor these drops for gold, and that's the closest vendor for anyone who can't gate. I have stacks of Soot Hemlock still for when I feel like messing around with Blinding Poison, because I found a vendor up with 430 of them and bought out the entire supply. If you're able to hit some of these, you can fill in with Choking Asmag or Dilapidating Ash to smooth the difficulty curve upwards with a higher propotion of successes.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:00 AM
Planar Protector

The commitment it takes to trivially make spike break 1 is very low. It’s also vender bought and cheap.

I dabbled with poison on live and got into the low 100’s skill wise. I was very poor but thought it was a fun gimmick and situationally useful for a class that’s devoid of tricks. It’s surprising how few rogues use it unless they go all the way for selling mind melt.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

All trade skills are plat sinks ... but that didn't stop me from "wasting" my plat at level 20 for blacksmithing, on live 2+ decades ago [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm not convinced that the wiki should be about gatekeeping playstyles. If someone wants a more frugal path to improving poison making, and the wiki can provide that (while also providing the efficient path), that seems more appropriate to me.

After all, you don't see (for instance) some mob page telling people not to waste their time farming that mob, because it isn't plat efficient ... right?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:49 AM
Sarnak

Anyone know if it’s a bug or not, I’m Max apply poison 200, and I still fail to apply 20-25% of time… only been using spine break , works wonders Soloing! 58 and almost 50% in!!!
Old 04-08-2023, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All trade skills are plat sinks ... but that didn't stop me from "wasting" my plat at level 20 for blacksmithing, on live 2+ decades ago [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm not convinced that the wiki should be about gatekeeping playstyles. If someone wants a more frugal path to improving poison making, and the wiki can provide that (while also providing the efficient path), that seems more appropriate to me.

After all, you don't see (for instance) some mob page telling people not to waste their time farming that mob, because it isn't plat efficient ... right?
The point is not that it's frugal. It's that it's stupid. You're willfully ignoring rogues who have leveled and use this skill.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To use your blacksmithing analogy, it would be like updating the smithing page to suggest farming Muddites in the Gorge of King Xorbb to save money on buying Sheet Metal because they can drop bricks of ores. You would 100% be better off just farming some Fine Steel to vendor and buy sheet metal straight from the vendor.

Anyways it's all a bit silly and I really don't care that much lol.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To use your blacksmithing analogy, it would be like updating the smithing page to suggest farming Muddites in the Gorge of King Xorbb to save money on buying Sheet Metal because they can drop bricks of ores. You would 100% be better off just farming some Fine Steel to vendor and buy sheet metal straight from the vendor.

Anyways it's all a bit silly and I really don't care that much lol.
Ok, this helps explain it; so the point is that it isn't about the "convenient way vs. the frugal way", it's that "even the frugal people would never want to do it the 'frugal' way?"

P.S. This whole thread is tempting me to resurrect my level 20 Rogue alt ...

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:50 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
To use your blacksmithing analogy, it would be like updating the smithing page to suggest farming Muddites in the Gorge of King Xorbb to save money on buying Sheet Metal because they can drop bricks of ores.
Whoops, that's exactly how i did it on live.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

Will reiterate spinebreak is amazing for solo. Theres not another dedicated melee class that can 50% slow on demand. Proccing from a truncheon of doom, swarm/earthcaller etc can be an annoying diceroll.

But poisons really fit into the rogue’s esthetic of preparation before a fight. I could go on with some of the creative uses of the other poisons… but i’ll let the uninitiated figure it out.